House prices fall at fastest pace in nearly 14 years

Started by Borchester, June 01, 2023, 05:10:21 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 04:39:55 PM
Wrong again, I didn't mention where Smurf lives, I put a pin in the middle of Helston and told him it was impossible for him to be more that 10 miles from an ATM. So how has he concluded I am 11 miles out when I didn't say where he lived. Shall I book you two a room?
You were wrong I am 11 miles away from the nearest ATM. By implication you assumed I live in Helston.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 03:05:53 PM
Ahem  https://pol-tics.com/general-chat/4/bank-and-building-society-branch-closures/6463/msg116326#msg116326 
Wrong again, I didn't mention where Smurf lives, I put a pin in the middle of Helston and told him it was impossible for him to be more that 10 miles from an ATM. So how has he concluded I am 11 miles out when I didn't say where he lived. Shall I book you two a room?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 03:05:53 PM
Ahem  https://pol-tics.com/general-chat/4/bank-and-building-society-branch-closures/6463/msg116326#msg116326 
Thanks, as stated at the time, that map is well out of date, there is not an ATM within 10 miles of my location. (In fact since that thread there are now less now due to bank branch closures.)

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 02:13:09 PM
11miles out from what? I didn't mention where you were. You just make it up.
Yes you did, some time ago in a thread about ATMs, (Cash machines.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 06, 2023, 01:40:59 PM
You were miles out. (As explained the first time.) Just checked again, 11 miles out.
11miles out from what? I didn't mention where you were. You just make it up. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 09:40:19 AM
Yeah but you know I've got you bang to rights.
You were miles out. (As explained the first time.) Just checked again, 11 miles out.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 12:37:26 PM
The software is written in PHP and JS, that's the actual software 😱.
Seeing as you're obviously not a software Tech bod I'll make it simple.
These look up tables you're on about, how does the data get in them, do they look in someone else's look up table and they then look in someone else's? for ever?

No, they query the ISP's directly and the transport layer of the web, that you can't see carries all this data. I just pay to have access to the bits I want.
That's why I get up to date data and not where an IP address was assigned 24 hrs ago.
No the language used is not the actual software.  The language is a tool to implement the software design and is actually an intermediate eventually being compiled or interpreted into the actual machine code locally executed.   I've managed £Mmulti software projects.

Whether you use a lookup table in your own software or more likely are referencing one others have makes no difference, it's a lookup and the results can never be better that the up to date accuracy of that table.

As your PM of not my postcode proved.  You were miles out.    

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 12:12:41 PM
PHP and JS are software languages, we're talking about the actual software design not the language it's implemented in.  Feel free to show how your design doesn't use a lookup table.

And of course I use the free IP geolocators but the commercial sites don't and they keep offering me services for a location I'm not in, one bizarrely often says I'm in the USA.  And no I don't use VPN (as you should already know)
The software is written in PHP and JS, that's the actual software 😱. 
Seeing as you're obviously not a software Tech bod I'll make it simple. 
These look up tables you're on about, how does the data get in them, do they look in someone else's look up table and they then look in someone else's? for ever?

No, they query the ISP's directly and the transport layer of the web, that you can't see carries all this data. I just pay to have access to the bits I want. 
That's why I get up to date data and not where an IP address was assigned 24 hrs ago. 

Nick

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 11:23:27 AM
They?? What is they? You're an expert in PHP and JS now are you?
I am a software engineer and run an automation company, I wrote my own code, that's why this forum looks nothing like the base package.
I pay for a service to do SQL Queries, I don't look at free websites like you clearly do.
PHP and JS are software languages, we're talking about the actual software design not the language it's implemented in.  Feel free to show how your design doesn't use a lookup table.

And of course I use the free IP geolocators but the commercial sites don't and they keep offering me services for a location I'm not in, one bizarrely often says I'm in the USA.  And no I don't use VPN (as you should already know) 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 06, 2023, 11:30:55 AM
No, you're still in the same place you've always been whilst using a certain ISP, but you do sometimes use a different one.
I can give you you're post code if you like.
OK please PM it

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 09:48:02 AM
It's got me in Leeds now, never been there either
No, you're still in the same place you've always been whilst using a certain ISP, but you do sometimes use a different one.
I can give you you're post code if you like.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 09:45:12 AM
Rubbish

They all use an IP lookup table and because BT (and others) use dynamic IPs the tables are crap. 

I have never been to Bradford despite what your code might tell you.
They?? What is they? You're an expert in PHP and JS now are you?
I am a software engineer and run an automation company, I wrote my own code, that's why this forum looks nothing like the base package.
I pay for a service to do SQL Queries, I don't look at free websites like you clearly do.

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 06, 2023, 09:48:02 AM
It's got me in Leeds now, never been there either

So you say.

Personally I don't think Pappy exists
Algerie Francais !