Why I want Boris back

Started by Borchester, August 15, 2023, 10:03:25 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 03, 2023, 06:15:57 PM
Needed a break !  Might try and see how brexit land is since last on :)
We're doing fine, no recession here, unlike Shangri-La. No slops in the trough means unhappy EU piggies. U.K. now exporting more than 3 billion in fuel to you lot to save you from Putin. No thanks though. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 03, 2023, 05:46:03 PM
I've never said Brexit is doing marvellous, what I've said is it isn't causing all the economic problems, that lies firmly at the feet of Covid and Putin.
All the Brexit talk before hand has us in an economic crash by just voting leave, it never happened and it never will.
That's what the leave camp were saying, they also made a nice strawman saying the remainers were saying the sky would fall in, which was never said. What was said it would be a slow eroding of people's standard of living.
Its Bern very convenient that covid and UKR has masked the affects of brexit. To say that brexit has had no effect would be a very blinkered view on things. But I'll come back on that, we've sunshine today and I've no inclination to go digging for some info to demonstrate the brexit effects.One that jumps to mind is, why hasn't the UK enforced its borders and carried out border checks, is it the cost which would be passed onto consumers and that would create an extra inflationary hit

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on September 03, 2023, 01:24:21 PM
Gerry is back!

I keep forgetting that it is the school holidays!
Needed a break !  Might try and see how brexit land is since last on :)

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 03, 2023, 05:46:03 PM
I've said is it isn't causing all the economic problems, that lies firmly at the feet of Covid and Putin.
You saying it does not make it true.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 03, 2023, 12:00:55 PM
The predictions of brexit was sunny uplands, free from the shackles of the EU and forging bigger and better trade deals around the globe. That's what won the vote, those predictions. How are they going ?
Your simplified view on economics is leaving out inflation, the UK is letting that run at rates way above EU countries, that drives GDP in the short term but will affect UK exports competitiveness in the mid term.Also looking at GDP is somewhat meaningless, its % changes that you should be looking at, yr on yr, that shows you the overall trend. Other wise brexit is a resounding success because its GDP is 6 times larger than IRL's.
Remember the UK has only left the EU port ince Jan 2021, 20 months ago, lets give it some time before we start saying how brexit is going, but what we do know is the sunny uplands are looking very very far away.
Can you tell me the tangible brexit benefits. Is it taking back control ? (so you have zero border checks on EU foods now, 5 delays) or they need us more than we need them (tumble weed) or the EXTRA 350m a week for the NHS, that seems to be helping out a lot. How about controlling immigration, even your courts are trying to stop your govt embarrassing your country even more.
I've never said Brexit is doing marvellous, what I've said is it isn't causing all the economic problems, that lies firmly at the feet of Covid and Putin. 
All the Brexit talk before hand has us in an economic crash by just voting leave, it never happened and it never will. 

Borchester

Gerry is back!

I keep forgetting that it is the school holidays!
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on August 16, 2023, 05:32:19 PM
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?end=2022&locations=FR

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?end=2022&locations=GB

U.K. GDP is about $129 billion higher than France.

U.K. GDP is about $65 billion higher than France.

U.K. GDP is about $165 billion higher than France.

U.K. GDP is about $288 billion higher than France.

So please tell me when France is doing better than the U.K.?
They caught up slightly during Covid, but didn't pass us then as I said, that was in 2016.
The predictions of brexit was sunny uplands, free from the shackles of the EU and forging bigger and better trade deals around the globe. That's what won the vote, those predictions. How are they going ?
Your simplified view on economics is leaving out inflation, the UK is letting that run at rates way above EU countries, that drives GDP in the short term but will affect UK exports competitiveness in the mid term.Also looking at GDP is somewhat meaningless, its % changes that you should be looking at, yr on yr, that shows you the overall trend. Other wise brexit is a resounding success because its GDP is 6 times larger than IRL's.
Remember the UK has only left the EU port ince Jan 2021, 20 months ago, lets give it some time before we start saying how brexit is going, but what we do know is the sunny uplands are looking very very far away.
Can you tell me the tangible brexit benefits. Is it taking back control ? (so you have zero border checks on EU foods now, 5 delays) or they need us more than we need them (tumble weed) or the EXTRA 350m a week for the NHS, that seems to be helping out a lot. How about controlling immigration, even your courts are trying to stop your govt embarrassing your country even more. 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 16, 2023, 01:35:52 PM
I provided you with a link to the report i quoted (the same one papasmurf quoted) way back when I questioned your "we are doing better than france".

A statement you haven't actually backed up beyond saying "they were ahead in 2020/21 and now are behind" - which is one bit of data without context, aka cherry picking.

That link, by the HoC library - about as impartial and comprehensive organisation as you can get - looked at multiple indicators and placed contect around them and still concluded that maybe we weren't doing better than france.

You demand evidence for other people's claims even though don't provide any for your own, and then don't read the evidence when provided.

Again, typical brexiter behaviour - fingers in ears, ignoring anything that clashes with their preconceived, emotion based world view.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?end=2022&locations=FR

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?end=2022&locations=GB

U.K. GDP is about $129 billion higher than France.

U.K. GDP is about $65 billion higher than France.

U.K. GDP is about $165 billion higher than France.

U.K. GDP is about $288 billion higher than France.

So please tell me when France is doing better than the U.K.?
They caught up slightly during Covid, but didn't pass us then as I said, that was in 2016.

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 16, 2023, 01:35:52 PM

Again, typical brexiter behaviour - fingers in ears, ignoring anything that clashes with their preconceived, emotion based world view.
Precisely.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on August 16, 2023, 12:44:21 PM
Your links are usually a figment of your imagination, perhaps that's why I don't usually read them. This one, you chose to cherrypick your data.
I provided you with a link to the report i quoted (the same one papasmurf quoted) way back when I questioned your "we are doing better than france".

A statement you haven't actually backed up beyond saying "they were ahead in 2020/21 and now are behind" - which is one bit of data without context, aka cherry picking. 

That link, by the HoC library - about as impartial and comprehensive organisation as you can get - looked at multiple indicators and placed contect around them and still concluded that maybe we weren't doing better than france. 

You demand evidence for other people's claims even though don't provide any for your own, and then don't read the evidence when provided. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 16, 2023, 11:45:21 AM
He never does look at all of links, that is why he is so badly informed.
Your links are usually a figment of your imagination, perhaps that's why I don't usually read them. This one, you chose to cherrypick your data. 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 16, 2023, 11:35:27 AM
why don't you just read the report?  It's not that long and doesn't use big words.
I read it, conveniently, the Dwarf only posts the bits that he thinks wins his battle, that is my point. 

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 16, 2023, 11:35:27 AM
why don't you just read the report?  It's not that long and doesn't use big words.
He never does look at all of links, that is why he is so badly informed.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on August 16, 2023, 10:52:44 AM
A convenient little snap, how about the whole of 2022 and Q1 / Q2 2023?