Tamworth and Midbedfordshire?

Started by Borchester, October 20, 2023, 04:36:00 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

What would you call someone who voted remain?

Remainer seems to fit quite well.

Some people will argue blackiswhite to support their heroes in Brussels.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 29, 2023, 10:36:12 AM

Not Pappy, you voted to have your country ruled by another country, which makes you a traitor.

A whore in the street would have more pride.

Cornwall is full of disused tin and copper mines. Find one of those holes, crawl into it and let us have no more of your contemptible excuses
It is the tories who are the traitors, they have done more damage to Britain than Hitler. (You really do need to take your blinkers off.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 29, 2023, 09:48:43 AM
It is the Tories who have betrayed Britain, and landed it in the mess it is currently in.

Not Pappy, you voted to have your country ruled by another country, which makes you a traitor.

A whore in the street would have more pride.

Cornwall is full of disused tin and copper mines. Find one of those holes, crawl into it and let us have no more of your contemptible excuses
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 29, 2023, 07:50:10 AM
So you betrayed your country because, well, that is the sort of thing you will always find a reason to do.

No change there then Pappy ?
It is the Tories who have betrayed Britain, and landed it in the mess it is currently in.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 29, 2023, 01:18:52 AM
I am NOT a remainer. The ONLY reason I voted to remain was because I knew the Tories would make a complete and utter bog of Brexit and they have.

So you betrayed your country because, well, that is the sort of thing you will always find a reason to do.

No change there then Pappy ?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 23, 2023, 05:21:12 PM
According to remainers like Smurf Leave didn't win by a majority because non-voters give remain a bigger slice. You can't have it both ways Pat.
I am NOT a remainer. The ONLY reason I voted to remain was because I knew the Tories would make a complete and utter bog of Brexit and they have.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 23, 2023, 08:07:33 PM
You may not have realised, but I'm not Smurf.

I have always accepted that those who voted are the only ones whose votes count.

But that doesn't mean that if a vote goes one way, it shouldn't necessarily condemn future generations to its decision if the result can be shown to cause harm...
But you can't show it caused harm, Covid and Putin got in the way of the pro-EU MP's plan to make Brexit the doom merchant of everything. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 23, 2023, 05:21:12 PM
According to remainers like Smurf Leave didn't win by a majority because non-voters give remain a bigger slice. You can't have it both ways Pat.
You may not have realised, but I'm not Smurf.

I have always accepted that those who voted are the only ones whose votes count.

But that doesn't mean that if a vote goes one way, it shouldn't necessarily condemn future generations to its decision if the result can be shown to cause harm...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 23, 2023, 01:25:09 PM
In the UK elections are decided by people who vote — few countries require a particular proportion of the electorate to have voted, or support a result, for the outcome to be valid.

Why isn't it more widely understood that if people don't vote, their votes don't count?

I don't doubt that the coming general election will be a gloves off often dirty fight with both Labour and Tory doing their upmost to get supporters out to vote, or get recent defectors back. Turnout is likely to be greater than in the latest by-elections, but isn't that always so...?

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 22, 2023, 10:29:45 PM
Ok coming back to both those by elections

Wikipedia shows the lib dem vote in Nadine's seat rose by 1000 about the same as the labour vote DROPPED. Labour won because huge numbers of tory voters just did not come out to vote. Any idea this was an increase in labour support is a joke

In Tamworth the Tory vote tanked, the liberal democrat vote tanked even harder with UKIP, Reform and BRITAIN FIRST doing better, and the labour vote went up by about 1,000 voters since 2019

Yes Starmer won. Yes some MARGINAL tories should be worried, but this was overwhelmingly a showing of arses to Sunak and his 'screw the voters' chancellor.
In the UK elections are decided by people who vote — few countries require a particular proportion of the electorate to have voted, or support a result, for the outcome to be valid.

Why isn't it more widely understood that if people don't vote, their votes don't count?

I don't doubt that the coming general election will be a gloves off often dirty fight with both Labour and Tory doing their upmost to get supporters out to vote, or get recent defectors back. Turnout is likely to be greater than in the latest by-elections, but isn't that always so...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Ok coming back to both those by elections

Wikipedia shows the lib dem vote in Nadine's seat rose by 1000 about the same as the labour vote DROPPED. Labour won because huge numbers of tory voters just did not come out to vote. Any idea this was an increase in labour support is a joke

In Tamworth the Tory vote tanked, the liberal democrat vote tanked even harder with UKIP, Reform and BRITAIN FIRST doing better, and the labour vote went up by about 1,000 voters since 2019

Yes Starmer won. Yes some MARGINAL tories should be worried, but this was overwhelmingly a showing of arses to Sunak and his 'screw the voters' chancellor. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on October 22, 2023, 12:02:47 AM
There would need to a vote before rejoining the EU, yes. Either a referendum or a general election where the winning party includes rejoining in its manifesto.

Also, even though I support rejoining the EU, I think a super-majority threshold should be used - e.g. a 55% yes vote would be needed.
You really are unbelievable, I actually can't believe the level of your anti-democratic  diatribe. Thankfully people like you are not taken seriously. 

HDQQ

There would need to a vote before rejoining the EU, yes. Either a referendum or a general election where the winning party includes rejoining in its manifesto.

Also, even though I support rejoining the EU, I think a super-majority threshold should be used - e.g. a 55% yes vote would be needed. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on October 21, 2023, 08:52:41 PM
If the electorate can change its mind to such an extent in the 4 years since the last general election, then it follows that they might change their mind about being outside the EU as well.

The idea of the "Great Mistake" needs to be nurtured in the minds of the electorate. A lot of us have thought that all along, it's the rest that need to face the reality of Brexit.
Though the brexit that the Tories have delivered isn't realy what I personally had in mind its done and gone . I'll take it over being a member. It's no longer part of the reason to vote for either what were leave or remain candidates .

However democracy rules Quackers  and if we were to vote to rejoin so be it . First though you have to get a party (as we did with UKIP) that promotes your view  . (I dont think even the lib dems have rejoin  in the manifesto at the moment) then you have to take enough votes off the ruling party to force them into either changing their view or giving you a re-join referendum 

I would say you are a long way off achieving any of that .

HDQQ

If the electorate can change its mind to such an extent in the 4 years since the last general election, then it follows that they might change their mind about being outside the EU as well.

The idea of the "Great Mistake" needs to be nurtured in the minds of the electorate. A lot of us have thought that all along, it's the rest that need to face the reality of Brexit.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!