Tourismification

Started by Streetwalker, May 18, 2024, 07:01:47 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 27, 2024, 02:17:01 PM
There is a shortage of housing across the country not just in tourist areas . So it seems tourism is not the main driver of the shortage but rather a general overpopulation
The over tourism is the main driver where I live, second homes, AirB&B and holidays lets have taken up all but 192 rental properties. (A few years ago there were no holidays lets or second homes in the vicinity of my home. Now there are a number of them and growing.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 26, 2024, 05:21:21 PM
You totally miss the point John, The dire shortage of housing of housing caused by over tourism is stopping high tech high skill high waged economy. (Unless the jobs are paying £100000 plus a year.)
There is a shortage of housing across the country not just in tourist areas . So it seems tourism is not the main driver of the shortage but rather a general overpopulation 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 27, 2024, 01:23:07 PM
And you think having highly skilled and high tech workers in the area won't drive house prices up?
They won't be able to afford the housing ether. The over tourism has hogged the majority of it. (I had to get a valuation  on my two bedroom semi-detached bungalow recently, and it was just short of £400000.) One of the "cheaper" homes in the area.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 26, 2024, 05:21:21 PM
You totally miss the point John, The dire shortage of housing of housing caused by over tourism is stopping high tech high skill high waged economy. (Unless the jobs are paying £100000 plus a year.)
And you think having highly skilled and high tech workers in the area won't drive house prices up?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 26, 2024, 11:59:12 AM

In short these anglophobic - and in the case of plaid's cottage burners it is correct to call them English FEARING not just English HATING - ass holes WANT to deny themselves a high tech high skill high waged economy and are destroying the only alternative.

Cornwall is heading the same way.
You totally miss the point John, The dire shortage of housing of housing caused by over tourism is stopping high tech high skill high waged economy. (Unless the jobs are paying £100000 plus a year.)

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on May 22, 2024, 11:30:01 AM
I am NOT lying Nick it is you who are frankly thick.
It is the tourism industry that can't get staff, caravan sites, Holiday parks, holiday accommodation and so on. Because second homes, AirB&B and holiday lets have taken all except  190 rental properties (Current data)  so there is nowhere for the staff they need to live.
Because it costs so much to pay for holiday accommodation tourist are left with little money to spend.
It is now a serious housing crisis for local people. (This had been much publicised and debated in Parliament. )

As i think i pointed out elsewhere i was forced to spend my 39th and 40th wedding anniversaries in Llandudno and Plymouth, the former because we were in the thick of the Chinese Pox, the latter because the bastard marxist cottage burner admiring T@@@ in Cardiff bay proclaimed that HE felt no one should be allowed to go on holiday in spite of scientists saying it would be fine, so HE was going to ban the use of Welsh NHS Covid Vaccination paperwork from being available to allow departures from English Airports

While eating fish and chips on Llandudno pier in September 2020 i was highly amused to read in the welsh independence mouthpiece the Daily Post that the council was actively seeking to ban day trippers because they could not tax them, and they wished to see tourism exterminated as it led to nothing except low wage low skill jobs in the hospitality industry

the irony being all the way back in 2004 the same english hating marxists declared the business plan to use the highly tidal fast flowing menai straits as a fish farm, that would have required high tech hydroponic / in vitro style culture of live food fauna 'an unwarranted intrusion of the english language into the lleyn peninsula' and twenty years later denounced the planned use of Trawsfynydd as a high tech industrial park in similar terms.

In short these anglophobic - and in the case of plaid's cottage burners it is correct to call them English FEARING not just English HATING - ass holes WANT to deny themselves a high tech high skill high waged economy and are destroying the only alternative.

Cornwall is heading the same way.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2024, 12:35:50 PM
John currently (today,) the village is rammed with tourists, with few going into the shops and businesses. (I have seen a few eating a pasty.)  Tourists with empty wallets are of no use. Tourism has taken up all but 190 rental in the whole of Cornwall  properties for local people.  Businesses are crying out for staff, but with nowhere for staff to live they can't get any.
Is now seven "no fault" evictions in the village in recent weeks with the properties being turned into holiday lets/AirB&B.
It is a crisis. The Over tourism has to be stopped, only legislation can do that, or Cornwall council building 26000 council houses for local people where they are needed.
Well, you say Tourists with empty wallets are no use.

I'm from the generation where ONE of us had a National Trust membership so fifteen of us could spend the day bumming about on the beach at St Ives .....

The problem you WILL have is that the anti-tourism antics of various vehicle-hating politicians have ensured that the people WITH money to spend are going elsewhere. 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 20, 2024, 12:35:50 PM
John currently (today,) the village is rammed with tourists, with few going into the shops and businesses. (I have seen a few eating a pasty.)  Tourists with empty wallets are of no use. Tourism has taken up all but 190 rental in the whole of Cornwall  properties for local people.  Businesses are crying out for staff, but with nowhere for staff to live they can't get any.
Is now seven "no fault" evictions in the village in recent weeks with the properties being turned into holiday lets/AirB&B.
It is a crisis. The Over tourism has to be stopped, only legislation can do that, or Cornwall council building 26000 council houses for local people where they are needed.
I notice that you have done your usual disappearing act, which means you have been painted you into a corner and you think if you keep quiet for a few days it will be forgotten, well it wont!!

The 26,000 social houses are going to built in an area down the road for you, your wonderful view has just been blocked by an absolute monstrosity of a housing estate and now you can hardly move for cars whizzing by the end of your garden. I am sure you will be over the moon.

Nick

It is the tourism industry that can't get staff, caravan sites, Holiday parks, holiday accommodation and so on. Because second homes, AirB&B and holiday lets have taken all except  190 rental properties (Current data)  so there is nowhere for the staff they need to live.
Because it costs so much to pay for holiday accommodation tourist are left with little money to spend.
It is now a serious housing crisis for local people. (This had been much publicised and debated in Parliament. )
And now you just turn to insults because you're stuck in a Rabbit hole.
How are holiday rentals and caravan parks hosting ALL these holiday makers that are ramming the high street with no staff?
I am far from thick, it's you that couldn't lie straight in bed.

Streetwalker

Im sure if the holiday camps gave up a couple of caravans for staff they wouldn't have any problem getting staff 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 22, 2024, 08:53:22 AM
Clearly more lies from you then, otherwise you would explain why shops need all the extra staff if nobody is buying things. Painted yourself into a corner and now your only option is to do your usual snake dance.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 22, 2024, 07:31:57 AM
Nick as stated at the time you personal experience of ONE supermarket did not reflect the widely reported national and local picture.  There still are empty shelves and shortages and the recent introduction by the Government of biosecurity and other inspections on food imports from the EU is making shortages and empty shelves even more likely. If you ask a stupid question it won't get answered.
Clearly more lies from you then, otherwise you would explain why shops need all the extra staff if nobody is buying things. Painted yourself into a corner and now your only option is to do your usual snake dance.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 21, 2024, 11:06:14 PM
Unfortunately, you have a track record of not sticking to the facts: for example when I was in Cornwall during Covid and you said all the shelves in Tesco were empty, and they weren't. I posted pictures and proved you wrong, BTW you have deliberately avoided my question, which is a sure sign that you're wrong.
Nick as stated at the time you personal experience of ONE supermarket did not reflect the widely reported national and local picture.  There still are empty shelves and shortages and the recent introduction by the Government of biosecurity and other inspections on food imports from the EU is making shortages and empty shelves even more likely. If you ask a stupid question it won't get answered.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 21, 2024, 07:46:37 PM
Actually I have be asking local business, because I thought with the village being rammed with tourists the businesses would be jumping for joy. But they aren't, hardly any tourist custom at all. One shop stated if it were not for them owning the business outright and not employing staff because family staffed it they would consider closing down because business is so bad.
I also went to a collection of business's on a small estate in the next village, all are tourist related. Early afternoon and it was deserted.
Unfortunately, you have a track record of not sticking to the facts: for example when I was in Cornwall during Covid and you said all the shelves in Tesco were empty, and they weren't. I posted pictures and proved you wrong, BTW you have deliberately avoided my question, which is a sure sign that you're wrong. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 21, 2024, 10:11:39 AM
You seem to have formed an opinion of tourists with empty wallets on little .
Actually I have be asking local business, because I thought with the village being rammed with tourists the businesses would be jumping for joy. But they aren't, hardly any tourist custom at all. One shop stated if it were not for them owning the business outright and not employing staff because family staffed it they would consider closing down because business is so bad. 
I also went to a collection of business's on a small estate in the next village, all are tourist related. Early afternoon and it was deserted.