Just stop Oiliband

Started by Barry, July 13, 2024, 09:54:52 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 07, 2024, 08:38:29 PM

As for charging, just use a 13A charger aka a domestic extension lead.
Obviously you are not up to speed with what is needed for EV chargers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 07, 2024, 09:16:33 PM
How is that supposed to work for a second floor flat.
Your going to need a longer lead ;)

srb7677

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 07, 2024, 08:38:29 PM
But you're comparing apples to oranges.

If you only have 1k then all new cars are too expensive

1k cars are are all old car, typically 10 years old or more and there are very few 10 year old EVs around.
Cheaper new EVs will eventually trickle down to cheaper old EVs.

How is that supposed to work for a second floor flat.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2024, 07:48:56 PM
That would be 19k more than I can afford plus the cost of a latest generation charge in my garage. (The latter would be expensive as the cable would have to go underground to the garage. No above ground cables allowed where I live.)
But you're comparing apples to oranges. 

If you only have 1k then all new cars are too expensive 

1k cars are are all old car, typically 10 years old or more and there are very few 10 year old EVs around.
Cheaper new EVs will eventually trickle down to cheaper old EVs. 

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 07, 2024, 07:39:28 PM
They are dropping in price, the newest lot are now around 20k new with some well under.
This year or next the cheapest new car availble will be electric.
That would be 19k more than I can afford plus the cost of a latest generation charge in my garage. (The latter would be expensive as the cable would have to go underground to the garage. No above ground cables allowed where I live.)

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2024, 02:25:46 PM
Frankly EVs are only for rich people.
They are dropping in price, the newest lot are now around 20k new with some well under.
This year or next the cheapest new car availble will be electric. 

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on August 07, 2024, 07:01:19 PM
My point is mainly about gas. We were self sufficient, and the North Sea has not run out of gas. New drilling is required to be self sufficient.
Do you realise how many foreign LPG ships arrive at Isle of Grain from the USA (fracking), West Africa (Angola off shore drilling), all causing a problem with extra carbon emissions for those who believe that it is a problem.
UK gas consumption has only dropped by 9% in the last 10 years, so our reliance on gas is not about to disappear.
Gas fired power stations (CCGT) can be brought online very rapidly when wind and solar are not providing, such as anticyclones in winter.
We need more gas fired power stations and more gas to fuel them until we can build more nuclear power.
What we actually need is more nuclear power stations as well as more effective battery storage so that we can store energy from renewables when the wind is blowing and the sun is shining and use some of this when they aren't. And nuclear energy has the advantage of producing zero carbon emissions whilst being able to operate in all weathers, and not relying upon finite supplies in the North Sea or imports from elsewhere. There is the problem of how to safely deal with radioactive waste. But it is far easier to contain and seal this in concrete or whatever than it is to capture carbon.

I used to oppose nuclear power mainly out of environmental concerns related to radioactive waste. But now I have come round to the view that excessive carbon emissions are becoming the far greater danger.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on August 07, 2024, 10:42:44 AM
I have not followed this one closely so do correct me if I am wrong. But it is my understanding that they are not in any way ceasing the extraction of oil and gas from existing fields, merely refusing to issue licenses for further exploration and drilling. This would of course result in a gradual diminution of oil and gas extraction as existing fields run dry, but it would be gradual and not sudden, the obvious aim being to increase  our energy supplied from renewable sources gradually to allow for that.

And the fact remains that even if we did allow new fields to be exploited, this would only delay this source from running dry for a bit longer because the amount of oil and gas there to be extracted is finite, and the best and most easily exploitable fields are already in use.

So climate science aside, preparing for a future without North Sea oil and gas is essential anyway.
My point is mainly about gas. We were self sufficient, and the North Sea has not run out of gas. New drilling is required to be self sufficient.
Do you realise how many foreign LPG ships arrive at Isle of Grain from the USA (fracking), West Africa (Angola off shore drilling), all causing a problem with extra carbon emissions for those who believe that it is a problem.
UK gas consumption has only dropped by 9% in the last 10 years, so our reliance on gas is not about to disappear.
Gas fired power stations (CCGT) can be brought online very rapidly when wind and solar are not providing, such as anticyclones in winter.
We need more gas fired power stations and more gas to fuel them until we can build more nuclear power.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 07, 2024, 05:01:06 PM
At least those of us in Ulez's can be grateful for something then...
The C of E are losing control of the masses, what do you do? Invent another way of controlling them. I'm sure Ray Bradbury must have a short covering this!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 07, 2024, 05:01:06 PM
At least those of us in Ulez's can be grateful for something then...
The shop keepers and businesses in ULEZ area are not happy because they have seen a dramatic drop in footfall.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2024, 02:59:28 PM
At my age 76 in a few days I don't care. I would love to know how theses net zero zealots think the country is going to run with many millions of people unable to get much beyond their front door due to net zero. As it is, on a personal level there are now whole areas of Britain I cannot go because of ULEZ type of charges that I can't afford and don't have the technology to pay if I could afford it.
At least those of us in Ulez's can be grateful for something then...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 07, 2024, 03:50:32 PM
 How do you economically sanction 2 countries that basically produce everything?
Often not being  able to source things I need I usually end up ordering from Wun Hung Lo's Four Candles Fork Handles emporium in China. (Currently on order some obsolete spare parts I cannot source from anywhere else, £22 postage free.) Or Gunga Din's reclamation and repurposing workshop on the North West Frontier. He can make a machine gun barrel out of a lorry back axle half shaft, and motorcycle parts out of all sorts of reclaimed and repurposed salvage.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2024, 02:59:28 PM
At my age 76 in a few days I don't care. I would love to know how theses net zero zealots think the country is going to run with many millions of people unable to get much beyond their front door due to net zero. As it is, on a personal level there are now whole areas of Britain I cannot go because of ULEZ type of charges that I can't afford and don't have the technology to pay if I could afford it.
The country isn't going to function, implementing net zero and green policies will destroy an already fragile economy and put us in a race to the bottom, whilst China and India have exploding economies. How do you economically sanction 2 countries that basically produce everything?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 07, 2024, 02:37:32 PM
Or companies like mine when I can have one and use it as a tax break.
Saying that, I think next year I have to start paying road tax and Khan's congestion charge.
And unfortunately for you, you will have this green agenda thrust upon you like anyone else thanks to Saint Greta of Climate Change.
At my age 76 in a few days I don't care. I would love to know how theses net zero zealots think the country is going to run with many millions of people unable to get much beyond their front door due to net zero. As it is, on a personal level there are now whole areas of Britain I cannot go because of ULEZ type of charges that I can't afford and don't have the technology to pay if I could afford it.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2024, 02:25:46 PM
Frankly EVs are only for rich people.
Or companies like mine when I can have one and use it as a tax break. 
Saying that, I think next year I have to start paying road tax and Khan's congestion charge. 
And unfortunately for you, you will have this green agenda thrust upon you like anyone else thanks to Saint Greta of Climate Change.