One in six Conservative voters likely to die before next election

Started by patman post, July 23, 2024, 02:53:41 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 03, 2024, 07:56:32 PM
Im not sure on that ,the pensioners that dont care much whether they lose the payments are the more wealthy dare I say conservative voters or stay at home conservative voters .
The ones most affected are those just above the cut line , likely people who still have to work into old age and will see not only their payments cut but lumbered with  other taxation to boot . These are the people labour need on board , they won't be getting them .
Labour haven't been getting them for a long time, which is probably contributing to their decision. They are mostly hitting people who never vote Labour anyway, including half the Tory membership. Take yourself for example. You would never have voted Labour whether they did this or not. So they have nothing to lose by taking your handouts away
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 02, 2024, 08:48:10 PM
When it comes to pissed off pensioners, the ones being pissed off were mostly not Labour voters anyway but ballot fodder for the right. They are however some of the very ones most vociferous about the need to slash welfare. So stopping some of their own handouts when they clearly dont need them is reaping what they sow. They expect welfare cuts for others whilst expecting to keep handouts they themselves don't need. Well it doesn't work like that now Any cuts should rightly start with those that don't actually need the money in the first place.
Im not sure on that ,the pensioners that dont care much whether they lose the payments are the more wealthy dare I say conservative voters or stay at home conservative voters .
The ones most affected are those just above the cut line , likely people who still have to work into old age and will see not only their payments cut but lumbered with  other taxation to boot . These are the people labour need on board , they won't be getting them .

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 02, 2024, 08:33:05 PM
Well they got 20% of the electorate to vote for them and it seems have now torn up their manifesto with their 'we will not raise taxes ' taxation plans and removal of the winter fuel allowance .And they have only been in power a month .

How many of that 20% stick with them remains to be seen but it looks like they have already pissed off the pensioners .As I say it will only take the tories to turn up rather than stay at home and who knows . One things for sure labour are not and have not increased their vote since 2019 which is a piss poor show given the tories malfunctioning since Brexit
When it comes to pissed off pensioners, the ones being pissed off were mostly not Labour voters anyway but ballot fodder for the right. They are however some of the very ones most vociferous about the need to slash welfare. So stopping some of their own handouts when they clearly dont need them is reaping what they sow. They expect welfare cuts for others whilst expecting to keep handouts they themselves don't need. Well it doesn't work like that now Any cuts should rightly start with those that don't actually need the money in the first place.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 02, 2024, 05:08:13 PM
It is too early to say much with any certainty, but in my view Labour is doing and saying many of the right things so far. I think what we are seeing right now is a vast improvement on what we have endured these past 14 years. A tentative thumbs up from me so far.
Well they got 20% of the electorate to vote for them and it seems have now torn up their manifesto with their 'we will not raise taxes ' taxation plans and removal of the winter fuel allowance .And they have only been in power a month .

How many of that 20% stick with them remains to be seen but it looks like they have already pissed off the pensioners .As I say it will only take the tories to turn up rather than stay at home and who knows . One things for sure labour are not and have not increased their vote since 2019 which is a piss poor show given the tories malfunctioning since Brexit 

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 24, 2024, 06:36:00 PM
Doesn't matter much, if 5 out of 6 Conservative voters bother to vote they will be back in number 10 . I'm guessing that labour will make that much of a pigs ear of governance that the only way they will keep power is if the Tories are crushed to death in the rush to the polling station .
It is too early to say much with any certainty, but in my view Labour is doing and saying many of the right things so far. I think what we are seeing right now is a vast improvement on what we have endured these past 14 years. A tentative thumbs up from me so far.

Borg Refinery

Cool that'd be 4pm my time, I'll try to catch that, it does look good

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 25, 2024, 04:06:18 PM
You'll like this one then Papa -

Labour Fails to Deny Secret Murdoch Deal to Drop Leveson Press Inquiry in Exchange for Endorsements - A spokesperson said the party took the decision to drop its commitment to complete the official inquiry into press corruption, "in the interests of the country" (link)

Unbelievable, Tory MKIII - except maybe the Tories are better in some ways..
Thanks for that link I have forwarded it various charities and campaigners

There is a related TV program Tonight ITV1 9.0pm until 10.15 PM Tabloids on trial.

If true I suspect Starmer has no clue the furore this will cause.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on July 25, 2024, 10:04:53 AM
[..] (Also the full implementation of Leveson is more urgent than ever.)

You'll like this one then Papa -

Labour Fails to Deny Secret Murdoch Deal to Drop Leveson Press Inquiry in Exchange for Endorsements - A spokesperson said the party took the decision to drop its commitment to complete the official inquiry into press corruption, "in the interests of the country" (link)

QuoteThe Labour party has failed to deny reports that the Prime Minister made a secret pre-election deal with News UK not to complete the Leveson inquiry into the conduct of the British press, in exchange for an endorsement from Rupert Murdoch's newspapers.
The I Newspaper reported on Monday that the Sun and Sunday Times had only endorsed Labour after the party gave them "private assurances" that Starmer would not resurrect the planned second part of the Leveson Inquiry, or introduce other "restrictions on press freedom".
Multiple Labour spokespeople declined to explicitly deny to Byline Times that they had done such a deal, with a party spokesperson telling this paper only that "any policy position arrived at by this Labour government is done so in the interests of the country".
The second part of the Leveson inquiry was due to focus on criminal activities and police and media corruption, but was cancelled by the last Conservative government in 2017, following lobbying by News UK.

Unbelievable, Tory MKIII - except maybe the Tories are better in some ways..
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 25, 2024, 10:02:55 AM
Indeed I had already alluded to that fact in the part of my post you chose to delete from the quote . Its not good enough and we need political reform
We need to see politicians telling the truth and also NOT misusing data. (Also the full implementation of Leveson is more urgent than ever.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 25, 2024, 08:07:02 AM
The Tories have blamed Labour for the last 14 years, so no change there.
Indeed I had already alluded to that fact in the part of my post you chose to delete from the quote . Its not good enough and we need political reform 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 25, 2024, 06:57:38 AM
What labour are actually saying is every problem they come up against in the next 5 years that they can't fix will be due to the conservatives having broken it beyond repair .

The Tories have blamed Labour for the last 14 years, so no change there.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 24, 2024, 07:37:40 PM
That will have to go some to beat the damage 14 years of Tories has done, a fair amount of which is only just coming to light.
What labour are actually saying is every problem they come up against in the next 5 years that they can't fix will be due to the conservatives having broken it beyond repair .

It's an easy way out for them as it was for the conservatives in the past to just blame the other guy . A major fault of two party politics and a cycle that needs to be broken 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 24, 2024, 06:36:00 PMI'm guessing that labour will make that much of a pigs ear of governance
That will have to go some to beat the damage 14 years of Tories has done, a fair amount of which is only just coming to light.

Streetwalker

Doesn't matter much, if 5 out of 6 Conservative voters bother to vote they will be back in number 10 . I'm guessing that labour will make that much of a pigs ear of governance that the only way they will keep power is if the Tories are crushed to death in the rush to the polling station .

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on July 23, 2024, 10:05:20 PM
What does it tell you about people who have a political dream about others being dead
So you noticed the ghoulishly gleeful thread content. Ugh. 
† The end is nigh †