Main Menu

Heavy handed?

Started by T00ts, August 09, 2024, 06:03:10 PM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on August 10, 2024, 05:17:27 PM
What has that got to do with Keir Starmer?

If you don't bother to watch the video, you may never know.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on August 10, 2024, 04:44:20 PM
Frankly, we are not talking about him being in power.  I just said he is more authoritarian.  So are you saying it's not more authoritarian to have new laws which would prohibit a protest against vaccinations?  Not to be allowed to publicly voice disagreement on being coerced to taking it?  Even though we know they can cause harm or death?
Why would you want to protest against vaccinations? Nobody forced you to go to a medical centre and have it. Let's just protest against something you're not forced to have, have a protest against breathing, no one has forced your to do that either. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on August 10, 2024, 04:44:20 PM
Frankly, we are not talking about him being in power.  I just said he is more authoritarian.  So are you saying it's not more authoritarian to have new laws which would prohibit a protest against vaccinations?  Not to be allowed to publicly voice disagreement on being coerced to taking it?  Even though we know they can cause harm or death?
What has that got to do with Keir Starmer?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on August 10, 2024, 10:12:06 AM
Frankly what signs? Plus he has only been PM for a few weeks.

Frankly, we are not talking about him being in power.  I just said he is more authoritarian.  So are you saying it's not more authoritarian to have new laws which would prohibit a protest against vaccinations?  Not to be allowed to publicly voice disagreement on being coerced to taking it?  Even though we know they can cause harm or death?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

The country is having to adapt to a PM with a supporting government addressing existing and newly arising problems in logical and non-flamboyant ways. Those who see this as weakness and are pushing their own prejudices are finding out that existing legislation — often ignored over the past 14 years — can be applied to correct those, whether in person or online, who seek to harm this country and its residents...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on August 10, 2024, 09:25:09 AM
The signs were clear ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0JekZl3RNI
Frankly what signs? Plus he has only been PM for a few weeks.

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on August 10, 2024, 09:15:38 AM
Can you expand on that please because frankly I am puzzled as to what makes you come to that conclusion.

The signs were clear ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0JekZl3RNI

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on August 09, 2024, 11:15:51 PM
Starmer is even more authoritarian than the Tories. 
Can you expand on that please because frankly I am puzzled as to what makes you come to that conclusion.

T00ts

Mmm interesting responses. Thank you guys.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on August 09, 2024, 10:32:03 PM
I think Starmer just talks ineffectual nonsense so I'd say he is neutral.
He won't last long like this. I bet someone is already chomping at the bit to replace him.
Same Ginger that has been hounding him for years I suspect. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Starmer is even more authoritarian than the Tories.  He won't address the reason for the riots, or indeed for the "far-right" protests, because he cannot acknowledge that democracy is being taken away.  It's the usual playbook.  Dissent must be crushed at all costs, and the root cause must be censored.

Barry

I think Starmer just talks ineffectual nonsense so I'd say he is neutral.
He won't last long like this. I bet someone is already chomping at the bit to replace him.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 09, 2024, 06:03:10 PM
I don't yet have a point of view on this so would be interested to see what others think - but I am aware that it is making me a bit nervous. I get it that there are those who deserve to feel the might of the police/law but the way Starmer stands and delivers his decisions makes me think that a type of police state wouldn't go against his principles. There is something about him and some ministers that is a bit worrying.
Those like myself who were once in the Labour party know what he is like, purging any faction that disagrees with him under any pretext, standing for no dissent from his own MPs. Do what he tells you or you are out. He and those around him act like authoritarians within the party and have done from the start. Now he is in power you are beginning to see it. I share your concerns. Because he has already demonstrated a willingness to lie to get where he wants whilst also applying underhand tactics against his internal opponents. So whilst I approve of many of the early steps and statements of his government so far, I remain wary and do not trust him at all. He has all the political instincts of an instinctive authoritarian. So let's watch this space. He needs to be given enough rope to hang himself, enough time to show us who he truly is, good or bad. It is too early to even charge him yet let alone condemn him. Time will tell. But we are right to be concerned.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

No time for Starmer and no time for rioters,if rioters go to jail I could care less see how long Starmer lasts time will tell.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on August 09, 2024, 06:03:10 PM
I don't yet have a point of view on this so would be interested to see what others think - but I am aware that it is making me a bit nervous. I get it that there are those who deserve to feel the might of the police/law but the way Starmer stands and delivers his decisions makes me think that a type of police state wouldn't go against his principles. There is something about him and some ministers that is a bit worrying.
Heavy handed? I am puzzled as to why you think that.