Impending machete ban.

Started by papasmurf, August 19, 2024, 08:28:11 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 02:59:28 PM
Aren't percentages good enough for you?
Not really if the total figure is low — besides, you don't give a source...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 27, 2024, 02:46:34 PM
As you don't cite a total, how can we judge the effectiveness or otherwise of current legislation...?
Aren't percentages good enough for you?

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 01:55:17 PM
But the harsher gun laws have not cut gun crime by much especially the hand gun ban seems to have achieved practically nothing:-

As you don't cite a total, how can we judge the effectiveness or otherwise of current legislation?

The RUSI published an interesting commentary this March — try and read it...

https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/firearms-uk-stable-threat
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: cromwell on August 27, 2024, 02:04:34 PM
Ermm I think if it were found stuffed down your trousers I think it might very well cut it  :D  :P
😂

cromwell

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 27, 2024, 08:58:39 AM
No but then I'm consistent in calling for tougher sentences for serious or repeated crime.  No idea why you brought into IPPs into the machete discussion.
Of course you don't, I suspect most others who followed the thread would.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 27, 2024, 01:36:27 PM
You still seem to misunderstand the point and purpose of the ban.

*the small "loophole" might be if you were taking it for delivery (and you would need more than just your word - a history as a legitimate seller, an invoice and sale,. Knife packaged for transport etc -. Just saying "I was taking it to the post office" after being found with it stuffed down your trousers in a nightclub won't cut it)
Ermm I think if it were found stuffed down your trousers I think it might very well cut it  :D   :P

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 27, 2024, 01:41:01 PM
Yes. Crimes committed with guns are pretty rare in the UK. They make the news which makes them. More visible.

UK homocide rate is a bit over 1 in 100k of which less than 5% are with guns. So 1 in 2 million people are killed with a gun each year.

US rates are over 6 and 80% respectively. So about 1 in 20, 000 people are killed by a gun each year (excludes accidents and suicides)
You chwces of being killed by a gun in the UK are 100 times. Less than the USA.
But the harsher gun laws have not cut gun crime by much especially the hand gun ban seems to have achieved practically nothing:-

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 01:25:38 PM
Really?
Yes. Crimes committed with guns are pretty rare in the UK. They make the news which makes them. More visible. 

UK homocide rate is a bit over 1 in 100k of which less than 5% are with guns. So 1 in 2 million people are killed with a gun each year.

US rates are over 6 and 80% respectively. So about 1 in 20, 000 people are killed by a gun each year (excludes accidents and suicides)
You chwces of being killed by a gun in the UK are 100 times. Less than the USA. 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: cromwell on August 26, 2024, 11:19:19 PM
How anybody in a court could be of the opinion that a zombie knife have any use other than violence and that is a loophole it's not it's an absurdity.
You still seem to misunderstand the point and purpose of the ban. 

Right now carrying a zombie knife in public is almost always* an offense because (as you point out) it has not other use apart from as a weapon. 

However it is not an offense to things that are weapons if you are not in public. A warhammer, poleaxe or spear are legal to own but will normally get you in hot water waving about on the football terrace. 

Some items are just illegal to posses outright. An automatic rifle, a pistol, a butterfly knife a ninja throwing star. Just being found with one is a crime. 

The law change will now add most zombie style knives to that group.

*the small "loophole" might be if you were taking it for delivery (and you would need more than just your word - a history as a legitimate seller, an invoice and sale,. Knife packaged for transport etc -. Just saying "I was taking it to the post office" after being found with it stuffed down your trousers in a nightclub won't cut it)

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 27, 2024, 01:23:48 PM
They have made gun crime much rarer than it would otherwise be.

Really? 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: cromwell on August 26, 2024, 10:11:05 PM
Aye and gun licensing laws hasn't stopped gun crime has it?
They have made gun crime much rarer than it would otherwise be.

Guns are rarely used in violent crimes in the UK, whilst commonly used in the USA. 

T00ts

Doesn't anyone have any concerns that too many laws tend to have unintended consequences? We seem to be heading into a period where every so called 'freedom' is felt to require a law to contain a minority. Trouble is the minority tend to find alternatives which may well be even worse and we are left with a statute book full of stupidity.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: cromwell on August 27, 2024, 08:27:25 AM
People are still in prison under that legislation yet scrotes are committing major crimes and not even being banged up do you really want them living on your street?
No but then I'm consistent in calling for tougher sentences for serious or repeated crime.  No idea why you brought into IPPs into the machete discussion.

cromwell

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 27, 2024, 01:23:34 AM
IPP sentences were abolished over 10 years ago.

If you're referring to the case I believe you are, he was given that sentence for a total of 44 offences incl that violent assault on a kid to steal his bike while on parole for another offence and has since being impisoned committed further offences in jail including drugs.  link

You really want him living in your street or are you saying he should be released to live in someone else's street?
People are still in prison under that legislation yet scrotes are committing major crimes and not even being banged up do you really want them living on your street?