Freedom of Speech and of Thought Being Destroyed

Started by Scott777, August 20, 2024, 09:12:12 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 24, 2024, 05:12:57 PM
I'm a strong supporter of the John Stuart Mill line on freedom of speech.  Only where it does not cause undue harm.

Your Supreme Court agrees and has supported various limitations on what some suppose is a constitutional right to complete free speech.

It's fairly self-defeating to cite Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and co on what should and shouldn't be the case when it comes to free speech. The USSC here is considered an appalling joke right now and rightly so, the stuff they're getting away with is fairly unbelievable

The problem with 'causing undue harm' is that anything can be considered undue harm depending on who's doing the classifying
+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 24, 2024, 05:05:59 PM
That's fair, she's funded by a big network of American libertarian thinktanks.

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/02/16/the-global-network-behind-arrested-anti-abortion-protestor/

I'm not a fan of her network or her campaigning, I'm just against the various Tory bills (and the exceptions they've made for certain protests)

But most of all I'm for freedom of expression and freedom of speech, that's what matters
I'm a strong supporter of the John Stuart Mill line on freedom of speech.  Only where it does not cause undue harm.

Your Supreme Court agrees and has supported various limitations on what some suppose is a constitutional right to complete free speech.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on August 24, 2024, 04:41:26 PM
Why?
Because those posts in effect asserted that silent comminication should never be criminal

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 24, 2024, 04:56:59 PM
Exactly

Many people go to the gravestones of their deceased loved ones (or even pets).  It's hardly surprising if those with religious beliefs feel the need and/or get consolation by praying while there and good if it gets them some solace.

But Isabel Vaughan-Spruce chose to repeatededly go to that protected place she had no such personal connection with and it wouldn't have been that she thought her God had a limited distance range.

I agree she shouldn't have been arrested but that doesn't make her actions good.  IMHO anything but so.

That's fair, she's funded by a big network of American libertarian thinktanks.

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/02/16/the-global-network-behind-arrested-anti-abortion-protestor/

I'm not a fan of her network or her campaigning, I'm just against the various Tory bills (and the exceptions they've made for certain protests)

But most of all I'm for freedom of expression and freedom of speech, that's what matters
+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: patman post on August 24, 2024, 02:39:37 PM
But are they protesting and, if so, what about?

I repeat, I've not seen any silent protests — whether standing, sitting or lying down outside the Houses of Parliament...
I have and outside embassies etc.  Most only shout for a few minutes or when TV cameras are around and then they lapse into a depressed silence holding banners.

I very much doubt any politician has committed suicide or taken other life changing decisions as a result of such.  But IIRC suicide is the leading cause of death of pregnant women. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2024, 04:45:02 PM
Exactly, THEIR loved ones. She has no affinity to these women.
Exactly

Many people go to the gravestones of their deceased loved ones (or even pets).  It's hardly surprising if those with religious beliefs feel the need and/or get consolation by praying while there and good if it gets them some solace.

But Isabel Vaughan-Spruce chose to repeatededly go to that protected place she had no such personal connection with and it wouldn't have been that she thought her God had a limited distance range.

I agree she shouldn't have been arrested but that doesn't make her actions good.  IMHO anything but so.

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2024, 04:45:02 PM

But possibly an affinity with unborn children who will be killed?  🤔
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: patman post on August 24, 2024, 02:39:37 PM

I repeat, I've not seen any silent protests — whether standing, sitting or lying down outside the Houses of Parliament...

I still don't understand how you would describe a silent protest.  Do you often go to Parliament Square and sit in front of people silently sitting down, and read their lips?  🤔
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 24, 2024, 01:53:49 PM
People can pray for their deceased loved ones from anywhere, why do you think they do it in front of their gravestones? Come on, obviously prayer is considered more effective if directly in front of what you're praying for
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Scott777

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 24, 2024, 01:52:23 PM
The Tories really do hate freedom of protest unless it's their favoured type of protests, such as this one

And Labour, and most MPs.

Scott777

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2024, 12:43:34 PM
As keeps being said, she can do that from anywhere. You know and I know why she is there, stop pretending.

I think what you're suggesting is it's ok to arrest someone if we know their intentions, even though those intention do not involve actually doing anything, but merely thinking something.

patman post

Quote from: Scott777 on August 23, 2024, 05:44:16 PM
What about sitting?  Lots of people sit silently outside the HoP.  Can you describe what silent protest looks like?

I repeat, I've not seen any silent protests — whether standing, sitting or lying down outside the Houses of Parliament...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2024, 12:43:34 PM
As keeps being said, she can do that from anywhere. You know and I know why she is there, stop pretending.

People can pray for their deceased loved ones from anywhere, why do you think they do it in front of their gravestones? Come on, obviously prayer is considered more effective if directly in front of what you're praying for
+++