Intersectionality? Yep. It really is a thing and boy, am I bad!

Started by DeppityDawg, February 24, 2020, 11:39:41 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17417 time=1582571480 user_id=50
... Ok, I grant you, it didn't have "are you an annoying **** from Cornwall", but the rest were easy?

How many times does he have to tell you he's not from Cornwall?

Nalaar is acting the oppressor by trying to place us in pigeonholes.
† The end is nigh †

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17415 time=1582570978 user_id=89
Too many of the questions in that survey had too few choices that applied to me, so a gave up.

FFS they are all straightforward? Are you a bloke or a lass, white or a "person of colour", gay/straight, able bodied or disabled, rich poor etc etc? What the feck is so difficult? Ok, I grant you, it didn't have "are you an annoying **** from Cornwall", but the rest were easy?

DeppityDawg

Just out of interest, I did a score for Rhianna based on her wikipedia page. Imprecise I know, but hey. I don't know her religion and I'm guessing she's hetero, so this is just theoretical, because her main (unchangeable) characteristics define most of her score, which is over 70 against my sub ten score. I chose Rhianna because, like me, I think she came form a relatively poor background, with an alcoholic and abusive father.

So, according to the theory of "intersectionality", I'm an oppressor who should "give more to those that deserve it". Meanwhile, Rhianna is still "oppressed".

They reckon her net worth is about $600,000. After 44 years of working and serving my country, mine is a 3 bedroom house with a small mortgage still left on it, a few pension entitlements, and whatever is left in the bank at the end of the month after Mrs Dawg has ripped it to feck  :lol:

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17344 time=1582544381 user_id=50
That other thread got me thinking and I stumbled across this gem, which calculates your "privilege" according to a series of physical and unchangeable characteristics and accidents of birth. "Intersectionality" the victi...ERM... liberals call it. Have a go, and see where your score is. I got a 6 making me almost (but not quite) equivalent to Satan himself  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If nothing else, it's worth having a go just to read some of the contributions in the comments lines below the test. Absolute comedy gold

https://intersectionalityscore.com/?from=g_keywords&keyword=intersectional&adposition=&source=google&device=m&ad=2">https://intersectionalityscore.com/?fro ... ice=m&ad=2">https://intersectionalityscore.com/?from=g_keywords&keyword=intersectional&adposition=&source=google&device=m&ad=2

Too many of the questions in that survey had too few choices that applied to me, so a gave up.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17412 time=1582569838 user_id=50
I would say that puts you somewhere between a Nazi and capitalist pig. I'm in the category "oppressor" apparently.

Should be ashamed of yourself,write out 100 times "I am a Nazi  and to make matters worse hail from Bristol" (or should that be heil)  :lol:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=17409 time=1582566768 user_id=53
Havent got a scooby what the feck that was all about but 16 for me.   :shrg:

I would say that puts you somewhere between a Nazi and capitalist pig. I'm in the category "oppressor" apparently.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17405 time=1582564706 user_id=99
Let's start with the basics and work our way up - do you agree that someone should not be discriminated against because of a factor like their race, or sex?

What, do you think you're talking to a 5 year old now?

Here is an excerpt from "uses for the intersectionality tool" >

QuoteThe most powerful use of Intersectionality is to identify oppressors and encourage them to share their privilege (and money) with the victims of their oppression. This would produce a more inclusive outcome and improve overall diversity.

So, this is about "identifying oppressors"? So, I'm an "oppressor" according to this theory, because I'm white, male and straight? Based on some theory dreamed up by left wing "academics"? Oh for feck sake, what a load of horsesh*t.

I started at the beginning, and I told you what I think. Its shite.

Streetwalker

Havent got a scooby what the feck that was all about but 16 for me.   :shrg:

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17372 time=1582551048 user_id=50
So how does encouraging people to classify each other and decide who is a bigger "victim" than someone else, all based on physical and or by birth characteristics help us solve anything?

Let's start with the basics and work our way up - do you agree that someone should not be discriminated against because of a factor like their race, or sex?
Don't believe everything you think.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell post_id=17376 time=1582551763 user_id=48
I didn't get a score,just a message saying you are a daft old bugger thanks for taking part DD :lol:

You can remember the Germans bombing Salford in Zeppelin's, never mind fecking dorniers.

cromwell

I didn't get a score,just a message saying you are a daft old bugger thanks for taking part DD :lol:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17369 time=1582550182 user_id=99
There is a certain irony in these kinds of topics - For example if you want to stop racism that first requires that you accept that Race is a category and so follows a similar argument to what you have posted above.

I would hope that you and I both agree that categories such as race, sex, age etc should not be the basis for Prejudice, and that if we find these categories are subject to prejudice that we should work to redress it. Would you agree?

So how does encouraging people to classify each other and decide who is a bigger "victim" than someone else, all based on physical and or by birth characteristics help us solve anything?

I tried experimenting with the sliders. The ones that have the biggest effect are moving the race slider to "white", the gender slider to "male", and the sexuality slider to "hetero". Basically, I then become a complete c**t.

Have you ever considered that straight white males might start to get a bit pissed off with constantly being held responsible for everything that's bad with the world. Funnily enough, unlike John Lennon and Oasis, I am working class with a not so hot education, but I'm not starting a revolution from my bed. There are good and bad of all races, sexes, genders and religions. All theories like this achieve is to make people with certain characteristics think they are capable of doing no wrong and that every thing is someone else's fault. There is such a thing as responsibility. This throws it out the window in favour of self pitying victim hood.

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17366 time=1582549816 user_id=50
So in other words, you are in favour of categorising and making broad brush judgements about people based on (for example) the colour of their skin, this sexuality, or simply of being "born outside the UK"? Then forming it into a judgemental structure in which to classify people by a "score" to decide who is better than or more deserving than someone else. I think it's utter shite.

Because that is what it is. No more. No less.

There is a certain irony in these kinds of topics - For example if you want to stop racism that first requires that you accept that Race is a category and so follows a similar argument to what you have posted above.

I would hope that you and I both agree that categories such as race, sex, age etc should not be the basis for Prejudice, and that if we find these categories are subject to prejudice that we should work to redress it. Would you agree?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17362 time=1582549246 user_id=99
I won't entertain some odd online quiz, however I think the premise of intersectional social categories make sense, and can be used as a beacon to highlight the darker areas of social exclusion which we should seek to correct.

So in other words, you are in favour of categorising and making broad brush judgements about people based on (for example) the colour of their skin, this sexuality, or simply of being "born outside the UK"? Then forming it into a judgemental structure in which to classify people by a "score" to decide who is better than or more deserving than someone else. I think it's utter shite.

Because that is what it is. No more. No less.

Nalaar

I won't entertain some odd online quiz, however I think the premise of intersectional social categories make sense, and can be used as a beacon to highlight the darker areas of social exclusion which we should seek to correct.