50 pubs a month closing in England and Wales.

Started by papasmurf, September 24, 2024, 11:30:12 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2024, 09:21:28 AMNowhere in your previous links did it say the pub was now a Mosque, the Pub closed 21 years ago so has nothing to do with the reasons Pub's are closing today. So move on as you are NOT derailing another thread.

I was questioning how many pubs are being turned into Mosques.
AI search:-
There are a few pubs in the UK that have been converted into mosques or Muslim community centers, including:
The White Horse pub in Harlow
This pub was bought by members of the Bangladeshi community and is being transformed into an Islamic community center. The community is replacing their center in Northbrooks, which is becoming dilapidated.
The Jolly Fisherman in Barking
A Muslim charity, the Ahlul Istiqamah Trust UK, is planning to convert this Victorian pub into a community center with prayer spaces. The pub closed in 2019 and is locally listed.
A disused pub in Leicester
A plan to convert this pub into a mosque was approved.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 25, 2024, 08:41:55 AMNick it was turned into a Mosque. The Castle pub was at 85 Rutland Ave, High Wycombe HP12 3JQ, and that is now a mosque:-
https://www.mosquepay.co.uk/5790/castlefield-mosque

85 Rutland Ave, High Wycombe, HP12 3JQ, United Kingdom
Nowhere in your previous links did it say the pub was now a Mosque, the Pub closed 21 years ago so has nothing to do with the reasons Pub's are closing today. So move on as you are NOT derailing another thread.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2024, 07:53:09 AMWhere does it say that pub was turned into a Mosque?

Nick it was turned into a Mosque. The Castle pub was at 85 Rutland Ave, High Wycombe HP12 3JQ, and that is now a mosque:-
https://www.mosquepay.co.uk/5790/castlefield-mosque

85 Rutland Ave, High Wycombe, HP12 3JQ, United Kingdom

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 25, 2024, 07:04:38 AMNick it fact not a racist slur. The licensee was threatened, intimidated and the pub fire bombed. It was then turned into a mosque.
The Mosque was also the subject of an investigation in 2016:-
More at link:-
https://tinyurl.com/4dmkcp25

MOSQUE INVESTIGATION: Three High Wycombe Imams accused of hate preaching to face retired judge
8th July 2016
Three Imams accused of glorifying a murderer during sermons at High Wycombe mosques will be called to give evidence in front of a retired judge as part of a hate-preaching investigation.
An independent investigation is set to start in the coming days after a Muslim man accused the religious figures of likening a Pakistani murderer to a "martyr" in front of hundreds of worshippers earlier this year.
Having received a complaint from whistleblower Khalil Ahmed in March, the Wycombe Islamic Mission and Trust has appointed former judge Khurshid Drabu CBE to lead the probe.

Where does it say that pub was turned into a Mosque?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 24, 2024, 05:03:42 PMThe article never mentioned the property being used as a Mosque, so retract your racist slur.

Nick it fact not a racist slur. The licensee was threatened, intimidated and the pub fire bombed. It was then turned into a mosque.
The Mosque was also the subject of an investigation in 2016:-
More at link:-
https://tinyurl.com/4dmkcp25

MOSQUE INVESTIGATION: Three High Wycombe Imams accused of hate preaching to face retired judge
8th July 2016
Three Imams accused of glorifying a murderer during sermons at High Wycombe mosques will be called to give evidence in front of a retired judge as part of a hate-preaching investigation.
An independent investigation is set to start in the coming days after a Muslim man accused the religious figures of likening a Pakistani murderer to a "martyr" in front of hundreds of worshippers earlier this year.
Having received a complaint from whistleblower Khalil Ahmed in March, the Wycombe Islamic Mission and Trust has appointed former judge Khurshid Drabu CBE to lead the probe.

Unlucky4Sum

Loads of reasons for the decline in pubs.  The real prices increase, the supermarkets, drink driving laws, smoking laws etc etc.  But IMHO what has most killed so many off is the changes in family life.  I'd wager much fewer husbands think it a great idea to spend an hour or three of an evening at the pub instead of being with the family.  But when I first was going to pubs c 1970 (yes illegally) that's who they were full of.  It's also much less acceptable to firms to have employees at work that have had a couple of pints in the 1 hour lunchtime that has also largely died out.

Those pubs that have adapted to become decent fair priced evening eateries as much as drinking stations seem to be surviving much better but they have to be of a sufficient size to make the economics work.   

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 24, 2024, 11:42:28 AMIf you remember, the pubs were targeted in the scamdemic, people were not allowed to go to the pub, then the energy prices were increased, so not only did they lose customers, their overheads became unmanageable.
In the village I was living in the only pub resorted to providing takeaway food, which was lovely and we supported them in that, but it still closed.
It has re-opened now under new management but a lot of money has been lost.

Remember all the nonsense over Scotch eggs, putting on masks in pubs except when eating?
Then the "eat out to help out"?
The pubs have been treated pretty shabbily. It's not helped by the Islamification of some areas.
How long before saying something like that is a crime.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 24, 2024, 09:22:14 PMBut the article did, Nick, although indirectly:

What they said was...

Mr Ramzan told the Bucks Free Press in September that he was wanted out so the pub could be turned into an education centre for Muslim youths.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on September 24, 2024, 05:03:42 PMThe article never mentioned the property being used as a Mosque, so retract your racist slur.
But the article did, Nick, although indirectly:

QuoteWycombe Mosque had been interested in the site for the Muslim community, but condemned the attacks.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 03:19:46 PM
The pub only became a mosque after a campaign of threats, intimidation and firebombs.
The article never mentioned the property being used as a Mosque, so retract your racist slur.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 12:54:38 PM
Nick I suggest reading all of the story at the link. The pub was attacked with the reason being it was wanted for a mosque.
I suggest you read your own article, that is over 24 years old. Also nobody was charged with the offence and absolutely no foundation to what you are saying is in the article. No where does it say the building was wanted as a Mosque.

In fact, the oposite:

"Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion."

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 03:19:46 PM
The pub only became a mosque after a campaign of threats, intimidation and firebombs.
???

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 24, 2024, 03:04:44 PM
If thats the case there won't be too many objections then will there ?  The mosque becomes the community centre as the pub once was .

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 02:56:04 PM
I know how old the link is. The problem with your response is there were very few indigenous Brits left in the area to do what you suggest. (Now there are even less.) 
If thats the case there won't be too many objections then will there ?  The mosque becomes the community centre as the pub once was . We can discuss the pro's and con's of too many muslims but as it stands if they have the majority in the area they get the say on what facilities suit the community .
Quote from: papasmurf on September 24, 2024, 02:56:04 PM
Where I live several pubs have been purchased by the communities around them to keep them as pubs.
Well there you go then ,the pub going community gets to buy its local pub . Seems like everyone's a winner