Main Menu

Food choice.

Started by papasmurf, February 26, 2020, 11:21:31 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17560 time=1582746361 user_id=89
They will, including a human body.

Reminds me of the HBO serial of Deadwood. Which was brilliant.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=17551 time=1582740200 user_id=63

I believe pigs eat anything.

They will, including a human body.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Interesting news item on radio 4 about 30 min ago.

Bloke from a farming mental health charity versus twonk from the vegan society.

I believe pigs eat anything. Maybe theres a way I could try vegan sausages after all.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=17538 time=1582726288 user_id=53
That's just good food hygiene, everyone regardless of religion or food preference should  keep utensils separate for raw meats .

Good sense, but not what I was talking about — though steak tartare, beef carpaccio, and some raw liver dishes are delicious even if a bit risky...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17525 time=1582723703 user_id=70
So it is like a religion, as Barry says — Jewish family we know keeps cooking utensils for meat and dairy apart...

That's just good food hygiene, everyone regardless of religion or food preference should  keep utensils separate for raw meats .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17531 time=1582724451 user_id=99
I don't think it matters if they are separated or not, and for products that are chilled/frozen it makes sense that they'd be near each other.

I know it is long time ago, but suggested area of study the Indian Mutiny back in 1857.

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/why-did-indian-mutiny-happen">https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/why-did-i ... iny-happen">https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/why-did-indian-mutiny-happen

New cartridges

Matters came to a head following the introduction of the Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle.

Rumours spread that the cartridges for the new rifle were greased with pig and cow fat. This made them offensive to both Muslims and Hindus, and added weight to existing concerns about forced conversion to Christianity.

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17530 time=1582724311 user_id=89
All the "hippy" food is separated out in most supermarkets, as is "ethnic" food so why not veggie and vegan?

(Given the space set aside for "hippy" food in local supermarkets there are too many hippies in the area.)

I don't think it matters if they are separated or not, and for products that are chilled/frozen it makes sense that they'd be near each other.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17528 time=1582723983 user_id=99
I can understand it in a household, not in a supermarket.

All the "hippy" food is separated out in most supermarkets, as is "ethnic" food so why not veggie and vegan?

(Given the space set aside for "hippy" food in local supermarkets there are too many hippies in the area.)

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17523 time=1582723422 user_id=89
The vegans I know have separate fridges/freezers/storage/ and cooking equipment to the rest of the occupants the household.

I can understand it in a household, not in a supermarket.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17523 time=1582723422 user_id=89
The vegans I know have separate fridges/freezers/storage/ and cooking equipment to the rest of the occupants the household.

So it is like a religion, as Barry says — Jewish family we know keeps cooking utensils for meat and dairy apart...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=17520 time=1582720703 user_id=53
Vegans are weirdos at the best of times and to be honest should have their own shops as I don't want them touching stuff I am about to buy .

I like the Liddle  supermarkets ,not just because they are cheap but some of the meat is of good quality but feck me the checkout experience is something Im not up for so its Waitrose for me , a few extra pounds but my sanity intact .

How true about the Lidl check out experience — long queues, purchases pushed through onto a small space as the check out makes a race between them and you packing your bag. Prices are an eye opener — we don't regularly shop there as we're nearer Stamford Hill Morrisons — but big shops at Lidl cost around 25% less.

Meat we mostly get from our local butcher. Used to be the same for fish, but the local guy has grandiose ideas and has also expanded into a couple upmarket licenced eat-in chippies and become very expensive. Luckily we're near Ridley Road...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17522 time=1582722650 user_id=99

I find the comments about vegans not wanting products to be in the same freezer to be odd,

Nalaar

I don't think you'll get much disagreement from people about clearer food labelling - Food origins and nutritional information resulting in more informed decisions making can only be of benefit.

I find the comments about vegans not wanting products to be in the same freezer to be odd, and likely as not will have almost no effect on almost all shopping vegans.

Streetwalker

Vegans are weirdos at the best of times and to be honest should have their own shops as I don't want them touching stuff I am about to buy .

I like the Liddle  supermarkets ,not just because they are cheap but some of the meat is of good quality but feck me the checkout experience is something Im not up for so its Waitrose for me , a few extra pounds but my sanity intact .

cromwell

Great fan of Lidl and Aldi and if you like a bacon sarnie,and I do bacon medallions are great hardly a speck of fat in them,the quality in most cases is superb and much cheaper than the tescos of this world.

Non food stuff too as a lot of it it comes with a three year guarantee,have bought some great electrical stuff off them.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?