Main Menu

Letwin

Started by Cassie, October 18, 2019, 08:20:09 PM

« previous - next »

Ciaphas

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=1897 time=1571768341 user_id=89
Basically if you are not in a union you are now stuffed. Employment tribunals now have to be paid for.

Furthermore the 2016 Trade Union Act weakened unions by setting the voting threshold for strikes much higher and reducing union income.

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT post_id=1855 time=1571762734 user_id=61
Nothing compared to what could happen post a hard brexit, nothing close. But I don't see it happening.

I'm curious, what sort of erosion of workers rights has there being, I don't live in the UK so wouldn't be aware.

Basically if you are not in a union you are now stuffed. Employment tribunals now have to be paid for.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=1885 time=1571766525 user_id=75
People voted leave for many reasons but leaving without any deal is at best a means of achieving particular goals, not a goal in itself.

The UK is responsible for enforcing workers rights within it's borders including people being paid the minimum wage appropriate to their circumstances, not the EU.

Workers rights have been eroded by the Conservatives. Obvious examples being the withdrawal of legal aid for employment disputes and undermining of the union. The current cabinet is made up of the type of people who would see workers rights reduced even further.

Reduced further? What has been reduced? From what I read the UK is way above the EU legislation, like Maternity leave. The EU rule is 14 weeks, in the UK a woman can take 26 weeks with the addition of another 26 weeks if she so wishes.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Ciaphas

Quote from: Nick post_id=1750 time=1571744776 user_id=73
1) LET..  You mean doing what the winning side asked him to do.

2) Yet more hysteria as the UK is not suddenly going to go back to the days of slave labour. If anything the EU is promoting it as millions of EU citizens come over to the UK and work for a pittance, which is infinitely more than they get in their own country.

People voted leave for many reasons but leaving without any deal is at best a means of achieving particular goals, not a goal in itself.

The UK is responsible for enforcing workers rights within it's borders including people being paid the minimum wage appropriate to their circumstances, not the EU.

Workers rights have been eroded by the Conservatives. Obvious examples being the withdrawal of legal aid for employment disputes and undermining of the union. The current cabinet is made up of the type of people who would see workers rights reduced even further.

Cassie

I'm not sure either. It was the Tories who increased minimum wage for workers.

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=1849 time=1571762265 user_id=89
You really must be joking given what the Tories have taken away since May 2010.

Nothing compared to what could happen post a hard brexit, nothing close. But I don't see it happening.

I'm curious, what sort of erosion of workers rights has there being, I don't live in the UK so wouldn't be aware.

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT post_id=1846 time=1571761589 user_id=61
 But the UK has high standards in workers rights

You really must be joking given what the Tories have taken away since May 2010.

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester post_id=1777 time=1571749978 user_id=62
Well, that pretty much sums up my early working life. Of course, that was in the boom years of the mid 60s when there was plenty of work and plenty of money and we thought well, if the boss is going to hold my hand and talk through the issues then it is a racing certainty that the cost will come out of our pockets not his.

Living with your mum on state benefits might seem a pretty good idea to you Gerry, but most of us had a bit more ambition.

I'm no fan of unions but workers have rights and that's a good thing. It's what some would want, the ability to take advantage of those not able to defend themselves. But the UK has high standards in workers rights in the UK and I don't see that changing. Your longing for the good old days as you might consider it, well that's not going to happen, thank god.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=1771 time=1571748649 user_id=62
The only right any worker should have is the right to be smacked in the mouth with a cricket bat if he mentions his or her or whatevers rights.

The only way for any worker of hand or mind to secure his future is to get a job, do the job as well as he can so as to not to be fired and to keep an eye out for a better job should the first one not pan out.

Some folk think that that nice Mr Corbyn or Ms Swinton or Boris will hold their hands and keep them warm and snug and protect them from life's ups and downs. They are fully entitled to believe what they want, just as I feel fully entitled to offer them this gold plated bridge. Cash only please.

I cannot answer that disgraceful contribution how I would like to or I would be banned.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT post_id=1773 time=1571749065 user_id=61
Agh the good old days, hire them and fire them on a whim, work them long hrs, then fire them. Is that what brexit is for you

Well, that pretty much sums up my early working life. Of course, that was in the boom years of the mid 60s when there was plenty of work and plenty of money and we thought well, if the boss is going to hold my hand and talk through the issues then it is a racing certainty that the cost will come out of our pockets not his.

Living with your mum on state benefits might seem a pretty good idea to you Gerry, but most of us had a bit more ambition.
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester post_id=1771 time=1571748649 user_id=62
The only right any worker should have is the right to be smacked in the mouth with a cricket bat if he mentions his or her or whatevers rights.

The only way for any worker of hand or mind to secure his future is to get a job, do the job as well as he can so as to not to be fired and to keep an eye out for a better job should the first one not pan out.

Some folk think that that nice Mr Corbyn or Ms Swinton or Boris will hold their hands and keep them warm and snug and protect them from life's ups and downs. They are fully entitled to believe what they want, just as I feel fully entitled to offer them this gold plated bridge. Cash only please.

Agh the good old days, hire them and fire them on a whim, work them long hrs, then fire them. Is that what brexit is for you

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=1766 time=1571747295 user_id=89
Workers rights in Britain have been eroded since May 2010. They are far worse than many EU countries.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Cassie post_id=1753 time=1571745040 user_id=57
A Labour P was interviewed and she said that UK workers rights a re better than EU  worker rights and it is a discussion that needs to be had. The lies from the remain MP is unbelievable. They are not to be trusted.

Workers rights in Britain have been eroded since May 2010. They are far worse than many EU countries.

Cassie

Quote from: Nick post_id=1750 time=1571744776 user_id=73

2) Yet more hysteria as the UK is not suddenly going to go back to the days of slave labour. If anything the EU is promoting it as millions of EU citizens come over to the UK and work for a pittance, which is infinitely more than they get in their own country.

A Labour P was interviewed and she said that UK workers rights a re better than EU  worker rights and it is a discussion that needs to be had. The lies from the remain MP is unbelievable. They are not to be trusted.

Nick

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=1414 time=1571569967 user_id=75
There are two issues here

1) Mr Johnson isn't trusted not to let the country leave without a deal on the 31st October. I  personally think he is sincere in wanting a deal but his previous actions have undermined his position

2) There are valid concerns regarding Mr Johnson's governments apparant desire to deregulate and reduce workers rights in order for the UK to be more competitive on the world stage, which in turn impacts our trade relations with the EU.

This gives MP's a chance to address those issues with amendments.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.