United States Presidential election - 2020

Started by Barry, June 09, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

I am so glad I am not an American. There was a time many years ago when I seriously considered moving there for work, I am so glad I didn't in the end although at the time I was upset that it didn't work out.

Now I watch the news on the Presidential elections with a feeling of disbelief. What a choice. Trump is a story all to himself and I really can't see how anyone can stomach another 4 years of him even if your politics is Republican. However what a choice the Democrats have. Biden seems to me as if he will not last the 4 years  even if he gets into office.

The latest gaffe is talking about George ???? as his opponent apparently, with his long suffering wife quietly correcting him that Trump is the man he has been battling for months. We moan about our system here but goodness me the USA leaves us standing. Is Biden succumbing to dementia or simply old age? People must surely be asking that question.

What a choice in a modern World Power!

Baff

Quote from: Nalaar on October 23, 2020, 10:30:24 AM

To be honest this time a year ago I'd of had Trump odds-on to slam through a 2nd term, probably with an increased vote, but as we draw nearer and he continues to under-whelm I think the chances of a Biden victory are more and more likely.
Me too.

I am now on a wait and see.

The only result that would surprise me is a landslide for Biden.

patman post

This is only the second US presidential election I've felt caught up in — the 2008 was the first. For all others I've been a half-interested onlooker like they were soaps. But for this one, I really have the feeling that who wins could well affect the lives of me and my family. Can't  say I'm pro Biden (he really is too old — though he appears to have a capable VP), but I am really hoping Trump loses. Bigly...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

I think Ben is a good example of how bubbles and an inability to deal with confrontation can back reasonably sensible people into bad corners, a few years ago he would not be engaging in these kinds of arguments, but a gradual degeneration has left him here, unwilling to engage in critical arguments and supporting his positions with poor reasoning.

The video has 2 man focus points - The presidential candidate, and policy.

On the candidates he spends a good amount of time talking about some of the things he doesn't like about Trump, how he acts, what he says, his representation of America etc. He says almost nothing negative about Biden, other than he's a moderate Democrat (which presumably is what people want anyway?)

On policy Ben is obviously in support of conservative ideas, low spending, anti-abortion etc, so on a policy level it makes sense for him to vote Republican.

Being Pro-republican policy, and against the character of the candidate for president is a reason to vote for a Republican for the House of Representatives and Senate, focusing on the legislature, not the executive.

To be honest this time a year ago I'd of had Trump odds-on to slam through a 2nd term, probably with an increased vote, but as we draw nearer and he continues to under-whelm I think the chances of a Biden victory are more and more likely.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

You don't need to watch it all. You'll soon get the picture. Trump has not been bad for America and has not started any wars, which is unusual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Xj3tYFKks
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 11, 2020, 07:52:53 PM
Not exactly?

What campaigns in the UK  — even in recent years — have required anywhere near the equivalent of hundreds of millions of dollars to get a party elected, let alone one person?

The personal wealth of and backing for our couple of millionaires who made it to PM, pale into insignificance compared to some leaders elsewhere...

I wonder how much the Tory propaganda in the media/press in Britain would cost if they had to pay for it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 29, 2020, 08:33:02 AM
A fact not exactly without precedent over here too.
Not exactly?

What campaigns in the UK  — even in recent years — have required anywhere near the equivalent of hundreds of millions of dollars to get a party elected, let alone one person?

The personal wealth of and backing for our couple of millionaires who made it to PM, pale into insignificance compared to some leaders elsewhere...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

I don't remember making a prediction on this and (in common with most others on here) I don't have a particularly good record of getting predictions right.

But going by what's happening now, I think the Democrats will win and Biden will be the next president of USA. But that's not the end of the story because Trump will have almost 3 months to serve after the election. Assuming he loses, will he hand over the reigns graciously? Or could he try and contest the election result in the courts? Or could he try and bring about some sort of international emergency that enables him to stay on as dictator? Maybe he might just spend the remaining weeks on his golf courses, taking no interest in his job as president. Another possibility is that he'll set things up to be really difficult for the new president.

Lots of possibilities. Can anyone think of any more? I'm sure some people will tell me I'm completely wrong and I'm out of order for listing lots of possibilities and going off-topic.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Groo on June 20, 2020, 08:12:51 PM
How many of those 328 million could afford it.

There's something seriously wrong in a Country where you need to be super rich to lead the Country.

A fact not exactly without precedent over here too.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on September 28, 2020, 09:57:09 AM
Now allegedly, someone has found Trumpy's tax returns and he only paid $750 in 2016-2017, Billionaires prerogative maybe?
Sounds like the wealthy yank biddy whose name now escapes me "only the little people pay taxes"
Mind she ended up in clink,but she wasn't far wrong.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sheepy on September 28, 2020, 09:57:09 AM
Now allegedly, someone has found Trumpy's tax returns and he only paid $750 in 2016-2017, Billionaires prerogative maybe?

Not 100% on how it works but a guy on the radio this morning was saying (although Trump says its Fake News) its quite normal for Billionaires to become so by running companies in America on debt .

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

On the brightside the metaphor that nuttyahoo takes his dirty laundry to the Whitehouse to get washed was hilarious.

Sheepy

Quote from: Dynamis on September 24, 2020, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 02:53:43 PM
Quote from: HDQQ on September 24, 2020, 12:31:48 PM
Today's news is that Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the election.

As long as I can remember, people have warned of western leaders becoming dictators and refusing to leave office or legislating to abolish elections, like Hitler did. But all these were "wolf! wolf!" stories.
Now we're looking at the world's richest and most powerful nation, which is also the world's second largest democracy, becoming a dictatorship.  If Trump loses the election but stays in office, then he'll have proved he can get away with riding roughshod over the principles that bind the USA together.

If anyone had said 6 years ago that the USA would cease to be a democracy, they'd have been ridiculed. But then, if anyone had said 6 years ago that Britain would be out of the EU or that the whole world would be gripped by a deadly virus with no known antidote or treatment, they'd also have been ridiculed too.

Surely the US constitution will over-ride any egomaniacal ideas Trump can possibly have. The Americans would simply clamp him in irons and cart him out. There might of course be riots in the streets but that would only be in line with lots of other 'democratic' countries.

Not if he declares some emergency and martial law, did you see what his good friend Roger Stone said?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/13/roger-stone-to-donald-trump-bring-in-martial-law-if-you-lose-election

A lot of yanks are in favour of this right now, he's a guy who praised 'QAnon' who are some crazed conspiracy theorist cult who think the world resembles 'escape from new york'.
I know, we will get rid of Trump and all our troubles will be solved, I don't think so.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on September 24, 2020, 02:53:43 PM
Quote from: HDQQ on September 24, 2020, 12:31:48 PM
Today's news is that Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the election.

As long as I can remember, people have warned of western leaders becoming dictators and refusing to leave office or legislating to abolish elections, like Hitler did. But all these were "wolf! wolf!" stories.
Now we're looking at the world's richest and most powerful nation, which is also the world's second largest democracy, becoming a dictatorship.  If Trump loses the election but stays in office, then he'll have proved he can get away with riding roughshod over the principles that bind the USA together.

If anyone had said 6 years ago that the USA would cease to be a democracy, they'd have been ridiculed. But then, if anyone had said 6 years ago that Britain would be out of the EU or that the whole world would be gripped by a deadly virus with no known antidote or treatment, they'd also have been ridiculed too.

Surely the US constitution will over-ride any egomaniacal ideas Trump can possibly have. The Americans would simply clamp him in irons and cart him out. There might of course be riots in the streets but that would only be in line with lots of other 'democratic' countries.

Not if he declares some emergency and martial law, did you see what his good friend Roger Stone said?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/13/roger-stone-to-donald-trump-bring-in-martial-law-if-you-lose-election

A lot of yanks are in favour of this right now, he's a guy who praised 'QAnon' who are some crazed conspiracy theorist cult who think the world resembles 'escape from new york'.
+++