UK will lose respect overseas with Boris Johnson’s ‘mistaken’ decision to scrap

Started by Borchester, June 16, 2020, 10:24:39 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on June 17, 2020, 06:05:34 PM

Inside Boris Johnson's government, senior officials are exhausted, demoralized and starting to despair.
Their dreams of reshaping Britain for a bright post-Brexit world have been blown off course by coronavirus. With more than 41,000 Covid-19 deaths in the U.K., Johnson has presided over the worst record in the world after the U.S.
Now Britain faces among the heaviest financial tolls from the pandemic of any major economy, and the deepest recession in 300 years. In the background is the specter of compounding the pain by failing to reach a trade deal with the European Union, with Johnson next week set to try to rescue talks that are going nowhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-12/coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson-s-team-is-broken-and-losing-faith

U -turns, announcements, re-vamps of government depts, are all to deflect criticism of a regime that appears to be out of its depth...

I reckon that article is about as much use as Diane Abbott's diet plan.

Boris' core vote don't blame him for the Chinese flu. In fact, I imagine that a considerable chunk of the 66,608,000 Brits who aren't dead of the Peking Pox are quietly enjoying their paid leave and are in no hurry to return to work. Nor do they give a wet fart in a high wind about the opinions of the rest of the world. And if we get a crap deal from the EU BoJo will just use it as an excuse to bomb Brussels which won't do his ratings any harm because no one likes the Belgians, especially the Belgians.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on June 17, 2020, 06:29:32 PM
Not a fan of Starmer at all, but he's polling better than Bojo, unlike with Corbyn. Boris is doing badly.

It's not a good choice, Bojo or Starmer bit there you go..

So?

Corbyn was polling better than may back in 2017  , yet couldnt beat the tories under her in 2017 , and was absolutely thrashed in december 2019 by them as we know.

QuoteCorbyn still more popular than May but his ratings fall

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/08/17/jeremy-corbyn-remains-more-popular-theresa-may

I keep telling you and others the same thing over and over but you dont want to listen.

The labour party  are seen in scotland as anti scottish , and in england as anti english , and in both countries on the wrong side of the public mood on practically every subject.

On top of that , only labour could elect a person who is seen as public enemy number one with his constant attempts to overturn a democratic referendum result in brexit.

A few polls trying to throw mud at johnson over popularity mean absolutely feck all at this stage.  Theres a long time to go until starmer gets a chance to have a go at a general election , and even then , how does he win?

The last poll in scotland i saw had him on 18 % , with over a third of his voters wanting scottish indy. Polling one scottish seat out of 59.

In England , the tory marginals wont touch him with a barge poll , and at best all i can see him doing is gaining back some of his lost northern english fiefdom  , which even then will leave a bitter taste in the mouths of many northern english brexit voters.

Starmer isnt the answer to labours problems. Instead of trying to reimage their party , and attempt to boost their public perception  with a progressive leader with no baggage , labour have merely flip flopped back to the blairites who are pining for a return to the days of blair and his cronies.

You said it yourself.....its not a good choice , so the english voter , who makes up the majority of the uk electorate , will opt for dumb instead of dumber every time.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on June 17, 2020, 03:47:25 PM

Anyway, all I can really add to your mostly valid criticism is that you need a better counter proposal than simply scrapping foreign aid - I agree things can't continue as they are but we need something better, not to just scrap it

False dichotomy.

If you scrap something , it doesnt follow you necessarily need to replace it with something else.

However we have both agreed we understand ( with our references to corruption) how the world works.

Foreign aid will never be scrapped. The best we can hope for is it is renamed to show reality  , in that its merely brown envelopes to grease up the palms of the corrupt , instead of being referred to as "aid".
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: patman post on June 17, 2020, 06:05:34 PM
Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2020, 08:49:27 AM
You seriously think Labour have cat in hell's chance of winning an election?
At the moment, No. But the majority of new Tory votes were only lent because Corbyn's Labour lost them. Now dissatisfaction with Boris's leadership inside government, within the Tory party, and throughout the country is growing. Large scale unemployment, resurgence in Covid deaths, more lock-downs, inability to unite the country over many issues, etc, could motivate an electorate call for change:

Inside Boris Johnson's government, senior officials are exhausted, demoralized and starting to despair.
Their dreams of reshaping Britain for a bright post-Brexit world have been blown off course by coronavirus. With more than 41,000 Covid-19 deaths in the U.K., Johnson has presided over the worst record in the world after the U.S.
Now Britain faces among the heaviest financial tolls from the pandemic of any major economy, and the deepest recession in 300 years. In the background is the specter of compounding the pain by failing to reach a trade deal with the European Union, with Johnson next week set to try to rescue talks that are going nowhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-12/coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson-s-team-is-broken-and-losing-faith

U -turns, announcements, re-vamps of government depts, are all to deflect criticism of a regime that appears to be out of its depth...
Not a fan of Starmer at all, but he's polling better than Bojo, unlike with Corbyn. Boris is doing badly.

It's not a good choice, Bojo or Starmer bit there you go..

+++

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2020, 08:49:27 AM
You seriously think Labour have cat in hell's chance of winning an election?
At the moment, No. But the majority of new Tory votes were only lent because Corbyn's Labour lost them. Now dissatisfaction with Boris's leadership inside government, within the Tory party, and throughout the country is growing. Large scale unemployment, resurgence in Covid deaths, more lock-downs, inability to unite the country over many issues, etc, could motivate an electorate call for change:

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Perhaps what will be saved on the foreign aid budget can pay for the red, white and blue repaint of the RAF Voyager aircraft used by the Prime Minister and members of the royal family.

"BOJO 1" could be changed back to grey 'very quickly' if deemed necessary in a wartime scenario, an RAF source said...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8429055/RAF-jumbo-jet-gets-paint-job-red-white-blue-Prime-Minister-use-trips-abroad.html

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on June 17, 2020, 07:49:21 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 16, 2020, 10:58:15 PM

It shocked me, but I think scrapping foreign aid (ie the foreign bribes & favours4favours) budget isn't too clever, and reduces our global influence[/size]

You do make me laugh dyno. That prospect article is a ten year old pile of pish , full of huggy  feelgood references to african poverty , Tony Blair hero worship , and a pat on the back for cameron the coward.

On the drum is out again thread , you say this..

QuoteThe point of my tangential rant, is that the whole thing is a clusterfeck from start to finish; and shines a bright light on WHY those problems are allowed to continue in Africa & elsewhere, it's because things around the world are run by bloody corrupt incompetents.

Talking about the corrupt world we live in and why africas consistent problems are allowed to continue , yet here you are seemingly trying to insinuate we should continue part of the system that maintains that global corruption by greasing the hands of the dodgy characters and corrupt incompetents that maintain the current world order.

I love the misuse of the english language as well , and the semantic word play when they use the word "aid" when talking about foreign backhanders.

Its similar to when they use the word "grant" when references the westminster government returning scottish taxpayers money to the scottish government . People have long seen through this , as streetwalker says in his post.

The uks global influence has been dissappearing for the last century. In 1920 , the uk was the worlds foremost superpower , with a navy bigger than the rest of the world combined. Today we have an army that could fit in wembley stadium , we build aircraft carriers with no aircraft , the russians sail our seas with impunity and uk sailors are taken captive by arab dhows in the persian gulf.

The uk global influence has been best summed up for decades , especially but not exclusively under the disaster of the blair government  , as nothing more than hanging onto the coatails of america .

The british armed forces are a regiment of the american forces , and westminster a tool of american foreign policy.

Thats uk global influence , while the foreign aid policy is a joke...

QuoteAs a system, foreign aid is a fraud and does nothing for inequality

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/02/as-a-system-foreign-aid-is-a-fraud-and-does-nothing-for-inequality
Now is the time to reassess overseas aid

https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/now_is_the_time_to_reassess_overseas_aid

The public are overwhelmingly against foreign "aid" being maintained and the uk , as a diminishing regional power , constantly struggles to meet its commitments . Charity begins at home.

You raise a few good points and some valid criticism of my post, yet your counter-solution appears to be to scrap the foreign aid budget entirely.

Btw, my posting of that article was purely to back my observation that Cameron's policy on foreign aid has remained consistent (which is a rarity for him) - and NOT, I repeat NOT an endorsement of anything eose whatever in the whole article, it's too difficult to pick out quotes and post them on here, as you observed the editors don't work properly for me and the font goes into the legal text rubbish style, and I haven't got the energy to edit every single post 20 bloody times.

Anyway, all I can really add to your mostly valid criticism is that you need a better counter proposal than simply scrapping foreign aid - I agree things can't continue as they are but we need something better, not to just scrap it
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2020, 10:38:22 AM
Course they have !!

They haven't even started, (yet.) I expect that will change not long after the crash out Brexit on January the 1st 2021.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 17, 2020, 10:34:19 AM
What lies? The press and media have not come out with the full truth about him (yet.)

Course they have !!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2020, 10:32:05 AM

So you'll stand up for Boris then amidst the lies thrown at him?

What lies? The press and media have not come out with the full truth about him (yet.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 17, 2020, 10:27:48 AM
Quote from: Barry on June 17, 2020, 10:17:33 AM

You have always jumped to Corbyn's defence and supported him on forums so that might be seen as a bit of a fib.

I have not, what I have objected to and still object to is the Tsunami of lies, propaganda and bullshine aimed at him.
I object to that whoever it is aimed at.
It could not have happened to him or anyone else if Leveson 2 had been implemented.

So you'll stand up for Boris then amidst the lies thrown at him?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 17, 2020, 10:17:33 AM

You have always jumped to Corbyn's defence and supported him on forums so that might be seen as a bit of a fib.

I have not, what I have objected to and still object to is the Tsunami of lies, propaganda and bullshine aimed at him.
I object to that whoever it is aimed at.
It could not have happened to him or anyone else if Leveson 2 had been implemented.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2020, 08:42:46 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 17, 2020, 08:41:17 AMVitriol has nothing to do with it, Boris is an incompetent bumbling fool, the few people left in the country who can't see that seriously do need counselling.

He is a highly educated and clever bloke, the masses can see that hence the landslide in the last GE.

Actually he's just a beneficiary of the posh knob school of education and the Bullingdon Club Privilege Tuxedo.

But I admit he has turned it to his advantage.

Including the buffoonery with is a sham.

And be honest, It must piss the ashkenazi jews in Cameron's Cabal that Kemal Ataturk's great grandson is PM.

BUT to come back to the pointof this thread.

I agree with the need to review and revise.

As has been pointed out, we are sending aid to countries that have a space programme. As one who is old enough to recall what the left thought of America on while not bothering to clean up its back yard.....

And I am heartily sick of the endless celebrity millionaire pleading with me to give a few quid to sort out eye surgery in Africa when I bloody waited four fucking years for a cataract operation here.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 17, 2020, 09:00:31 AM

As I have previously stated many times, I am not a member of, supporter of, or proselytiser for any political party.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 17, 2020, 09:24:30 AM

Oh come on - not that one again. To be counted they had to step up to the polling booth. No-one stopped them from voting it was available to all so it's not even a valid argument. You don't know any more than anyone else how all those who didn't bother and didn't care would have voted if they had been frog marched to the polling station. It's past history. As far as your store cupboard is concerned you're late, mine is already done, but that apart the pandemic has left us in a different world to the one we knew last year or when we voted. Not that it would make any difference to my votes. We either come together as a country and work together to make our future or we sit sobbing into our beer while the rest of the world moves on without us. It's time for some backbone not hand wringing and moaning.

The lies and bullshine from both sides made it impossible to make an informed decision based on fact, so million of people did not vote because they were unable to make an informed decision. My store cupboard did not need much restocking.