Masks to be worn by everyone in public...?

Started by patman post, July 10, 2020, 06:43:59 PM

« previous - next »

Left of Centre

At least they're not making them mandatory in offices. I work in one of them, well at home for now!

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 14, 2020, 08:06:40 PM
This is utter madness as Boris is immune, he can't give it to anyone and he can't be infected by others.
It seems no one is sure how long immunity lasts as it appears the antibodies can lessen their virility in a few months. Plus it's not sure that supposedly immune people cannot harbour/host and distribute the virus...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 14, 2020, 08:04:48 PM
"Science" is not saying they are seeing more reason to wear one.

"Science" has already said what the problem is and "engineering" has formulated wearing apparel claimed to afford some useful role.

But it is politicians who are mouthing off in all directions at the moment, and mostly not actually bothering to reasearch whatthe science actually says or they would not be saying what they are.
June 8, 2020 -- The World Health Organization has changed its stance on wearing face masks during the COVID-19 pandemic. People over 60 and people with underlying medical conditions should wear a medical-grade mask when they're in public and cannot socially distance, the WHO said. The general public should also wear a three-layer fabric mask in those situations.

The WHO also updated their advice for medical workers, saying all of them should always wear a medical mask while in clinical areas, not just people working with COVID-19 patients.

The organization had previously said there wasn't enough medical evidence to support members of the public wearing a mask, unless they were sick or around people with the coronavirus. The widespread wearing of masks might lead to a mask shortage for medical workers and create a false sense of security in the public, WHO officials had said.

Seems like medicos are just like good politicians and can change their advice as more information comes to light...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

This is utter madness as Boris is immune, he can't give it to anyone and he can't be infected by others.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Good old on July 11, 2020, 12:00:14 PMThe value of wearing a mask ,is subject to numerous caveats , but the fact remains. No mask is ,no gain. Mask worn properly in right environment  some gain. Science is now saying they are seeing one more reason to wear a mask.

Well, as you say, there is some benefit to be had from wearing something that might limit droplet infection in a particular environment.

"Science" is not saying they are seeing more reason to wear one.

"Science" has already said what the problem is and "engineering" has formulated wearing apparel claimed to afford some useful role.

But it is politicians who are mouthing off in all directions at the moment, and mostly not actually bothering to reasearch whatthe science actually says or they would not be saying what they are.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Left of Centre

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2020, 06:37:37 PM
This is an economic decision to give people confidence to get shopping and spend money. Don't think it's to do with health.
I fear it will have the opposite effect and that shoppers who already have to endure queues and navigate social distancing signage and one way systems, will simply make the decision to avoid doing so completely or when they can at least.

Nick

This is an economic decision to give people confidence to get shopping and spend money. Don't think it's to do with health.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Left of Centre on July 14, 2020, 06:13:47 PMSilly how it's being introduced now.
Another mistake by this administration and its advisors — the requirement to wear masks in enclosed public spaces should have been brought in at lock-down which, itself, should have been brought in earlier.
But why now, when it's clear masks are effective, start from the end of next week? Other legislation (eg, for taxes) can be brought in on the same day as announced, so why the delay...?

Left of Centre

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2020, 06:17:58 PM
Quote from: Left of Centre on July 14, 2020, 06:13:47 PM
I think I will just do that and I suspect quite a few others will. Silly how it's being introduced now.

My wife has been wearing one every time she goes shopping since before the official lock down.
Some people have and that's their choice and that's what it should come down to. Making masks compulsory may well reassure some elderly people to shop more but I equally think it will put others off. The government just seem late introducing things, whether it's on quarantine, test, track and trace and indeed masks.

papasmurf

Quote from: Left of Centre on July 14, 2020, 06:13:47 PM
I think I will just do that and I suspect quite a few others will. Silly how it's being introduced now.

My wife has been wearing one every time she goes shopping since before the official lock down.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Left of Centre

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2020, 05:38:09 PM
Quote from: Left of Centre on July 14, 2020, 05:35:56 PM
I personally don't want really to have to wear a mask or face covering.

Stay at home then.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 11, 2020, 03:45:04 PM
Quote from: patman post on July 11, 2020, 03:16:01 PM

Strange you'd not indicated before that with your other ailments and infirmities you were also afflicted with short arm syndrome...

I am merely commenting a pitchfork is not two metres long, and a pike between 3 metres and six metres long is too clumsy.

It worked for the Swiss pikemen in the 14th century
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Bright Young Thing on July 11, 2020, 12:31:16 PM
Masks while in shops and on public transport are now mandatory in Scotland. I have no issue wearing one, and in fact am doing so when necessary. Scientific evidence may not be fully clear but in my book IF there is even a small chance that a mask will prevent me getting covid, wear one I will.  We may all look stupid on 6 months if it's proved it made no difference, but still I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I feel sorry for those who lip read though.
agree,I always wear one in shops and don't give a stuff what other people think,whilst I don't expect the types of lockdown we have recently seen and rely on doing what's best for ourselves this seems to me a sensible move.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Some people are not fit to be wearing masks, so it will be interesting to see how that will be enforced.
There are both physical and mental illnesses that can preclude the wearing of them.
† The end is nigh †