General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 16, 2021, 05:01:22 PM
Mmmm I have never asked for them, I really don't know.

Back to what the heart of the matter is and this has been referenced in depth and detail on the forum and on national news and current affairs on a regular basis.  Nationally 80% of the fish/shellfish caught by British fishermen and 95% of that caught by Cornish fishermen is normally exported to France and Spain.
As I predicted years ago that trade has now stopped because the delays due inspection and compliance certification is causing the fresh fish to spoil and the live shellfish to die on the trucks and be unsalable.
So most of British fishing boat are now tied up and "gathering dust" as on local fishermen stated when interviewed.
It is a  not  "bump in the road" as that idiot George Useless  said on floor of the House of Parliament it is a bloody disaster and the export of fresh meat is going the same way.
(I predicted that years ago as well.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 04:52:41 PM
But can you get live lobsters, live scallops and live crab?

Mmmm I have never asked for them, I really don't know.

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2021, 04:36:36 PM
What do you think? 😆

We have a few teething problems at the moment, they'll all be sorted soon enough.

i really can't believe gerry hasnt convinced you nick! :D ;D

I have high hopes for gerry for the next election . If he keeps up his muck raking about brexit , it should piss brexiters off enough to give labour yet another kicking in 2024.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 16, 2021, 04:50:13 PM
My fish is delivered. A van come every Wednesday lunchtime from Grimsby and goes all around the area. It is well stocked with pretty much everything you could want stashed in a good layer of ice. A really good service which has been running for years.

But can you get live lobsters, live scallops and live crab?

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 04:46:31 PM
I could get it delivered.

My fish is delivered. A van come every Wednesday lunchtime from Grimsby and goes all around the area. It is well stocked with pretty much everything you could want stashed in a good layer of ice. A really good service which has been running for years.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2021, 04:16:46 PM
You clearly don't need a fishmonger if you can get it delivered.

I could get it delivered.

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 16, 2021, 03:04:29 PM
About as old as me by the sound of it , the cockles at the dogs ,yum yum .I can still taste them now .. Maybe with all this shell fish going to waste the price will come down and the bloke with the basket will make a return down the pub , when it opens .

Feck the Froggies , we want our shellfish back !
I'm mid '50's and as a young lad working in a bar I remember the old lads on a Sunday morning would be in eating cockles from a jar and playing domino's. Fish on a Friday was usual at home. But all those traditions died out not because of supply but even in Ireland people in general are not a fan of fish, even less a fan of shell fish. Far more popular on the main land and that's the market the UK sell's into. Your not going to change the diet of the average UK person especially to shell fish or mussels.
It simple really, this is a brexit opportunity. An opportunity to figure out how to sell fresh raw fish into the EU, or maybe freeze it and sell it to far away lands. It might reduce the profits but it's better than letting it rot. It might be more profitable to sell your fishing rights to an EU company, maybe petition Johnson to let you do that.

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on January 16, 2021, 04:26:00 PM
Has gerry convinced you yet nick you were wrong to vote for brexit?

Gerrys ego demands you face up to his reality !!!! :D

What do you think? 😆

We have a few teething problems at the moment, they'll all be sorted soon enough.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2021, 04:23:24 PM
I'm not convinced you haven't got that the wrong way round.
Fresh seafood in the EU is cheap due to there being loads of it, the Uk is limited therefore the price goes up.

Perhaps the industry should pay for an ad campaign and get the UK back eating fish and shellfish.

I think this is the whole point of leaving the EU. Firms/industries unprepared to adapt and sitting tight expecting things to revert to the old tried and tested are going to wait a long time. We have already seen retailers hit the wall because they ignored the online drift that has been happening for years. Thus when Covid hit they weren't prepared. They missed the boat. Brexit has been a slow burn for over 4 years and most have sat back expecting a deal that would give them exactly what they had before. It was never going to be. Having said that this country will find ways. If EU imports prove too difficult or uncertain they will find what they need elsewhere. The same goes for exports. If selling to the EU is too cumbersome we will go elsewhere.

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2021, 04:23:24 PM
Fresh seafood in the EU is cheap due to there being loads of it, the Uk is limited therefore the price goes up.

Perhaps the industry should pay for an ad campaign and get the UK back eating fish and shellfish.

Has gerry convinced you yet nick you were wrong to vote for brexit?

Gerrys ego demands you face up to his reality !!!! :D

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 12:34:27 PM
Fresh fish and live shellfish always have been expensive, it is a niche market and why the majority are exported.

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2021, 04:16:46 PM

nick cornwall has loads of fishmongers. Its just when pappy appears , they all quickly pull the boards down on the shop and close the door and put up signs saying they have went out of business.

Once he fecks off back to his bedroom , they open up again to serve all the friendly and happy denizens of cornwall and the tourists.

He is well known locally so i hear for being a miserable moaning tight arse.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 16, 2021, 12:32:22 PM
You have a fishmonger? Lucky you. New Zealand Mussels are not live or fresh. Local to me fresh live mussels £6.25 a kilo delivered.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 16, 2021, 04:08:39 PM
The thread is titled General Brexit discussion thread. There's a clue in there about what the topic is and it's most def not general history thread.

it is , and the overall forum is called a political forum , with various different sections to dicuss many differing topics.

You seem to solely and exclusively want to inhabit one only , even ignoring your own "countries" section (no laughing at the back please) while solely concentrating on the uk.

QuoteNo, people on here don't want to face up to the reality of what they voted for,

Thats your ego talking. I thought you would have learned by now where that massive fallible ego of yours has got you over the years.

No one is listening to you anymore  gerry.

Not becuase you have beaten them in your warped delusional world.

Brexiters have beaten you , not once twice but five feckin times since ed milliband announced to much mirth and laughter back in 2015 he and labour were dead against a  brexit referendum.

That  was the day the dam burst , and brexiters started wiping the floor with you and your ilk.

You never learn though do you?

I feckin love it.  :D

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 16, 2021, 03:07:21 PM
im not on here to talk solely about brexit.

Read the thread , this is a political debating forum , not solely a brexit debating forum.
The thread is titled General Brexit discussion thread. There's a clue in there about what the topic is and it's most def not general history thread.

Quote from: Thomas on January 16, 2021, 03:07:21 PM
I like to talk about many things unlike you , and more to the point most of us have been debating brexit for over five years and are fed up with it.
People are now deaf to you gerry , except the odd moment like today where i may indulge you .
You prob just got bored waiting 5yrs for brexit to start.
No, people on here don't want to face up to the reality of what they voted for, or at least examine what is happening. So they choose to ignore me pointing it out. It was not the majority of UK people that voted for this, so those that did need to own this and maybe they should be the one's to cover the cost, as it seems on here that there was no cost too great to get independence from the EU, bureaucracy and red tape stopping the empire from once again taking over the world, oh hang on...