Why is this still happening?

Started by cromwell, November 10, 2020, 08:24:53 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 12, 2020, 04:50:12 PM
Erm......give everyone a fecking good shoeing?....no wait.....that was the problem,  wasn't it?....or was it?....wait, wait, I know this one? ...it's Beethoven isn't it? ....no?.....erm.....42?....Barcelona? ....aw, what the feck would I know anyway?  :D  :D  :D

I thought beethoven was a dog.    :D

A tourist in Vienna is going through a graveyard and all of a sudden he hears music. No one is around, so he starts searching for the source. He finally locates the origin and finds it is coming from a grave with a headstone that reads: "Ludwig van Beethoven, 1770- 1827."
Then he realizes that the music is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and it is being played backward! Puzzled, he leaves the graveyard and persuades a friend to return with him.

By the time they arrive back at the grave, the music has changed. This time it is the Seventh Symphony, but like the previous piece, it is being played backwards. Curious, the men agree to consult a music scholar. When they return with the expert, the Fifth Symphony is playing, again backwards.

The expert notices that the symphonies are being played in the reverse order in which they were composed, the 9th, then the 7th, then the 5th.

By the next day the word has spread, and a crowd has gathered around the grave.
They are all listening to the Second Symphony being played backward. Just then the graveyard's caretaker ambles up to the group.

Someone in the group asks him if he has an explanation for the music.

"I would have thought it was obvious," the caretaker says: "He's decomposing."
+++

Borg Refinery

Q. How many social workers does it take to change a light bulb?

A. The light bulb must first fill out all the appropriate forms to determine eligibility for service.

Two social workers were walking through a rough part of the city in the evening.  They heard moans and muted cries for help from a back lane.  Upon investigation, they found a semi-conscious man in a pool of blood.  "Help me, I've been mugged and viciously beaten," he pleaded.  The two social workers turned and walked away.  One remarked to her colleague: "You know the person that did this really needs help."
+++

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis on November 12, 2020, 03:15:02 PMWhat do you think could be done to improve the system Depitty?

Erm......give everyone a fecking good shoeing?....no wait.....that was the problem,  wasn't it?....or was it?....wait, wait, I know this one? ...it's Beethoven isn't it? ....no?.....erm.....42?....Barcelona? ....aw, what the feck would I know anyway?  :D  :D  :D

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on November 12, 2020, 04:23:18 PM
How does the care system become improved , and who has improved it previously?

Well attitudes aren't the same as they once were towards those with learning difficulties, nor isabilities, and mental health services no longer prescribe stuff like largactil.

In the same way the police have improved dramatically, and many other sections of society.

QuoteIts ( some) those middle class liberal twats that deppity often talks about that are part of the problem...the type that have read about abuse/disability/poverty etc in a text book but have never been near any of them in real life till they go for a job dealing with these issues or pontificating about them on interweb forums.

I agree and you just lumped me in with them, thanks a bunch for that. I wouldn't insult middle class twats by comparing them to the poor underclass like me who apparently deserve to be sterilised though.. ;)

Upper and middle class twats with no knowledge of how stuff works in the real world have always run things, that's how most of the country's run generally, it's not exclusive to this sector, but I take your point that per capita you probly get more patronising snobbies going for those types of roles. I like you was under the watch of some of them as a kid, never got taken into any institutiins but it came very close a couple of tiles, so I like you habe first hand experience of these "biggest bell ends" as you say. I was well behaved too, I just hated going to school with ripped up clothes, having to wash in some cases in cold feckin water or sometiles having no breakfast, having to go to school with a bunch of nasty judgemental middle class kids in Stoke Newington who simultaneously looked down on you and acted like they were working class.

But ok I'm javert. Hi I'm your social worker can I patrobize you some more?
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on November 12, 2020, 03:19:47 PM
No we don't but as you say it can be improved, and it has been improved over tile, and that's all we are asking for. Mass sterilisation is what pappy and Indira Gandhi were calling for (well in India's case, she did it) and involuntary sterilisation was used in the US around 1910 and in many other countries on 'undesirables'. 

My confederate friend approves of that idea also, along with dropping anyone he disagrees with out of a helicopter like Pinochet.

Now that's properly fascist nutjobbery, not Depitty's carey feely liberal nonsense variety.   :D  :D

How does the care system become improved , and who has improved it previously?

Its ( some) those middle class liberal twats that deppity often talks about that are part of the problem...the type that have read about abuse/disability/poverty etc in a text book but have never been near any of them in real life till they go for a job dealing with these issues or pontificating about them on interweb forums.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on November 12, 2020, 03:36:51 PM
All true Tommy, but being the decent sort that you are, omitted to mention that there is a good living out of looking resolute and demanding that SOMETHING MUST BE DONE! In most cases there isn't, but it will get Hattie Chairperson's face in the newspapers and a few slots on Radio 4 and that is the bit that counts.

I know borkie , and the hand wringing liberal left have the art of demanding something be done down to a fine tee.

Funny though , in my life , i have lived under two differing governments in control of scotlands care system ( edinburgh and london)with four differing political parties having control Tory , labour at uk level , and lab/liberal  , and snp at holyrood , and the utopia in the care system never seems to materialise under any of them .

QuoteSammuel Johnson once said that if a madman with a club entered the room then he was sure that most people would feel sorry for him, but first he would have to be restrained

Well if we listen to javert and maybe dyno , perhaps we could get HMP barlinnies riot squad to show sally the social worker the proper restraining technique used to cart the heidcase in Petar 1 in hall A down to the punishment cells .

I have been under social services myself as a  teenager at one stage ( and they were the biggest bell ends on this planet) and certain people across four generations in my family have been in care  going back to the 1940`s , and i listen to these types who want to solve the worlds issues by having a left wing government throw bucket fulls of money at them , and i sadly shake my head.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say .

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on November 12, 2020, 07:51:10 AM

You summed it up in your first sentence.....a story as old as the care system. Exactly.

The care system in any country ( scotlands is far from perfect either) can be tinkered with and improved  , can have wedges of cash thrown at it and all the rest. They will never be perfect.

The problems though in these childrens lives start with their parents , and no one else , then spiral out from there. Many people on this earth should either be sterilised or have the snip before they have the chance to breed , and of course a lot of the issues go hand in hand with poverty , drugs/alcohol abuse etc , children being taken off feckless parents  , and their sad stories begin.

Doesnt matter if the kids have special needs , or are "mainstream".......no care system on earth can ever come close to the background of a child being brought up with loving parents in a safe comfortable background.

...but thats the problem...we dont live in a perfect world.

All true Tommy, but being the decent sort that you are, omitted to mention that there is a good living out of looking resolute and demanding that SOMETHING MUST BE DONE! In most cases there isn't, but it will get Hattie Chairperson's face in the newspapers and a few slots on Radio 4 and that is the bit that counts.

Sammuel Johnson once said that if a madman with a club entered the room then he was sure that most people would feel sorry for him, but first he would have to be restrained
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on November 12, 2020, 07:51:10 AM

You summed it up in your first sentence.....a story as old as the care system. Exactly.

The care system in any country ( scotlands is far from perfect either) can be tinkered with and improved  , can have wedges of cash thrown at it and all the rest. They will never be perfect.

The problems though in these childrens lives start with their parents , and no one else , then spiral out from there. Many people on this earth should either be sterilised or have the snip before they have the chance to breed , and of course a lot of the issues go hand in hand with poverty , drugs/alcohol abuse etc , children being taken off feckless parents  , and their sad stories begin.

Doesnt matter if the kids have special needs , or are "mainstream".......no care system on earth can ever come close to the background of a child being brought up with loving parents in a safe comfortable background.

No we don't but as you say it can be improved, and it has been improved over tile, and that's all we are asking for. Mass sterilisation is what pappy and Indira Gandhi were calling for (well in India's case, she did it) and involuntary sterilisation was used in the US around 1910 and in many other countries on 'undesirables'. 

My confederate friend approves of that idea also, along with dropping anyone he disagrees with out of a helicopter like Pinochet.

Now that's properly fascist nutjobbery, not Depitty's carey feely liberal nonsense variety.   :D  :D
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 12, 2020, 06:50:49 AM
Sorry. I'd love to oblige, but as my PhD is in giving people a fecking good shoeing and not the care system, I am unable to comment on this occasion

If you start a thread on "kicking the feck out of people for no apparent reason", normal fascist service will be resumed.

•Top tip! To give posts a more caring feeling, remember to add "innocent" before the subject line!!

*adds 'innocent' and 'exclusively qualified to give people a feckin good shoeing' in the subject line*

What do you think could be done to improve the system Depitty?
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on November 11, 2020, 11:04:33 PM
A story as old as the care system itself mate.

No doubt some here will go "no no they do the best they can, it can't be improved, you couldn't do their jobs any better so have no right to criticize, stfu and shut down the debate".

Hmm shutting down debates... sounds sooo.. liberal.  :D  :D

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis on November 11, 2020, 11:04:33 PMNo doubt some here will go "no no they do the best they can, it can't be improved, you couldn't do their jobs any better so have no right to criticize, stfu and shut down the debate".

Sorry. I'd love to oblige, but as my PhD is in giving people a fecking good shoeing and not the care system, I am unable to comment on this occasion

If you start a thread on "kicking the feck out of people for no apparent reason", normal fascist service will be resumed.

•Top tip! To give posts a more caring feeling, remember to add "innocent" before the subject line!!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on November 11, 2020, 11:01:28 PM
Oh blimey and now children's care and some in the private sector raking in the cash whilst there are those living in poor conditions and open to exploitation.
https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/2020/11/11/thousands-of-children-in-care-being-failed-by-the-state-because-of-a-broken-residential-care-home-market/

A story as old as the care system itself mate.

No doubt some here will go "no no they do the best they can, it can't be improved, you couldn't do their jobs any better so have no right to criticize, stfu and shut down the debate".

Hmm shutting down debates... sounds sooo.. liberal.  :D  :D
+++

cromwell

Oh blimey and now children's care and some in the private sector raking in the cash whilst there are those living in poor conditions and open to exploitation.
https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/2020/11/11/thousands-of-children-in-care-being-failed-by-the-state-because-of-a-broken-residential-care-home-market/
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on November 11, 2020, 11:41:40 AM
Returning to the original point, the The Department of Health guidelines state that restraint "should only be used as a last resort".

The problem is that it does not state when that is and I doubt that Hattie Chairperson's report will clarify the matter.
All too true. The Law and NHS Guidance are imprecise. "Reasonable" is not easy to define. Nevertheless, the system lets people down too often because the wrong people are made responsible...

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/HealthProfessionals/Clinical-law-updates/Restrainingadultpatientsinhospital.aspx
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Javert

I believe this has come back up now following a story from a few years ago from a file on 4 documentary that mainly focussed on a young autistic girl who was locked up 24/7 unnecessarily.

The points being made were that all parties accepted she should not be locked up, but due to various ridiculous administrative and funding issues, she was not put in the correct situation with appropriate care.

The point was that this girl, when given the correct support and approach, was not dangerous and would not become violent - she was only becoming violent because of the inappropriate situation and handling she was put in.

I don't think anybody is denying that there are situations where physical restraint is unavoidable.  However there are way too many cases where this is being used prematurely or unnecessarily because the situation should never have escalated to that point.

Further, even when physical restraint is used, it's often not used correctly due to lack of training, creating risks of harm both for the person being restrained and those doing the restraining (as evidenced by an recent anecdote I could give you where improper techniques were used in a hospital where a friend of the family works and it ended up with him being injured by the patient).