This looks like being a very dull election campaign

Started by Borchester, November 10, 2019, 09:28:24 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5380 time=1573500451 user_id=89
What news bulletins are you watching?

This one

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html">//https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html%20%20

Try to keep up Pappy.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

No today was officilally only day 2 of the campaign. They should gauge the excitement so that voting hysteria  hits peak on 12/12. If they peak too early - Corbyn is in danger of going over the hill too soon - everything will fall flat.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=5379 time=1573500006 user_id=62

The Tories are predicted to pick up 114 seats,

What news bulletins are you watching?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

And it is still a bloody dull election

We are two weeks into the campaign and almost sod all has happened

The Tories are predicted to pick up 114 seats, which provided they don't fvck up completely, seems reasonable.

As a Tory I am pleased, but I did expect a little more excitement from Boris.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5129 time=1573385116 user_id=89
Journalists are a pain in the arse for asking any politicians questions before manifestos are published.

this was not a journalist this was a voter. Possibly a party member (some questioners were identified as such, others were not)

this was an "invitation-only telephone town hall" by which I mean to participate you had to send your name, address, email address and phone number to tory central office. which is why i used a false name and a one time only sim card to which I applied no credit in a non-smartphone which i bought in a junk sale years ago to replace my then main phone which had broken. The fact I live in a seat that is on the tory hit list was more than enough to get my request approved and in due course the tory party rang me just before theresa may took the platform.

Their conferencr call robot provided instructions on how i could, if i wished, speak to one of the call centre coordinators of the event to place a question that might be put to the prime minister.

I had no questions at the time, i was content to just listen, but clearly some people did, and they were announced by their first name and constituency in which they lived. At least two were also identified live as members of such and such constituency's tory party.

Remarkably (perhaps) none of the speech or the questions were about Brexit.

One question was "what was Theresa May's response to Jeremy Corbyn's spending plans as published in the manifesto released that afternoon" and the other was probabaly the precursor to that insane business about being forced to sell your home to die abused and physically beaten by immigrant labour in a "council run care home". Both were simply ducked with the bland statement that the audience would have to wait until the manifesto came out.

Fact was the manifesto did not actually come out until three days later, the woman was an idiot, reacting like a headless chicken to Labour's having got the drop on here by releasing a manifesto before they did and before they were ready to defend against it.

I turned off the phone about three quarters of the way through the call, removed and burned the SIM card and put the phone in a recyclabox.

I went to bed that night convinced the woman was a prize idiot and was going to lose very badly. And I do not think I was far wrong.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas post_id=5191 time=1573402606 user_id=58
:roll:  :lol:

on the contrary papa the press love wurzel.

He sells newspapers by generating stories with his scandals after scandals over anti semitic abuse , his momentum thugs hounding the likes of tom watson from the party , his love of the IRA and other terrorist organisations as well as his plans to bankrupt these islands

I would say he is a headline generator making them money in what as borkie says looks to be a rather tame election so far.

Him and Blair,the best click bait they could wish for.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=5187 time=1573402050 user_id=89
The press are scared of Corbyn because Leveson will be imposed as soon and as their is a change from a Tory government, all of the  other parties want Leveson imposed.

:roll:  :lol:

on the contrary papa the press love wurzel.

He sells newspapers by generating stories with his scandals after scandals over anti semitic abuse , his momentum thugs hounding the likes of tom watson from the party , his love of the IRA and other terrorist organisations as well as his plans to bankrupt these islands

I would say he is a headline generator making them money in what as borkie says looks to be a rather tame election so far.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy post_id=5178 time=1573400395 user_id=52
As well as telling us about what a disaster voting Corbyn would be,constantly.

The press are scared of Corbyn because Leveson will be imposed as soon and as their is a change from a Tory government, all of the  other parties want Leveson imposed.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester post_id=5091 time=1573378104 user_id=62
Dozy Doris went into the 2017 election with a promise to tax the pensioners' coal allowance and take the school dinners out of the mouths of toddlers. It was electoral suicide but fun. Boris, on the other hand, appears to have realised that all he need do is jump up and down like a ferret with haemorrhoids but not say much of anything for fear of losing his mega point lead.

So unless Wurzel decides to nationalise the royal corgis, this looks like being a rather quiet election.

As well as telling us about what a disaster voting Corbyn would be,constantly.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=5152 time=1573390489 user_id=84
My experience of Scotland has generally been extremely positive. As a regular visitor I would far rather be visiting a friendly neighbouring country which welcomed my pounds sterling to help with their struggling euro currency  ;) , than a resentful vassal state.

My annual week at the Edinburgh Fringe is one of the highlights of my year and I look forward to it every year. Indeed as a countryside dweller, if I had to live in a UK city it would be Edinburgh. I will have no problem showing my passport on arrival!

fully agree. Scotland welcomes english people , and you can see why per head of population scotlands tourist income is 8% larger than englands with the beauty of our capital city  , our country and most important of all our people.

;)

As well as taking your english pounds ,dont forget scotland is englands second largest export destination taking nearly £63 billion in ruk goods.

Trade goodwill and friendship goes both ways , and will continue to do so after independence.

As you say , better helpfull friendly neighbours and consumers of each others goods rather than rats fighting in a sack , but as ever its not the ordinary people who will be the issue , but that parliament .

Major Sinic

Quote from: Thomas post_id=5141 time=1573388624 user_id=58
Thank you kindly , and with the most sincere honesty , may i say i wish england all the very best too. :thup:

My experience of Scotland has generally been extremely positive. As a regular visitor I would far rather be visiting a friendly neighbouring country which welcomed my pounds sterling to help with their struggling euro currency  ;) , than a resentful vassal state.

My annual week at the Edinburgh Fringe is one of the highlights of my year and I look forward to it every year. Indeed as a countryside dweller, if I had to live in a UK city it would be Edinburgh. I will have no problem showing my passport on arrival!

Barry

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=5140 time=1573388118 user_id=84
Barry remember the old adage 'My enemy's enemy is my friend'! In this regard Thomas is quite honest in that his motivation is always to move towards an Independent Scotland.

If you are in a marriage which no longer works and you each want to go in different directions, then divorce is the obvious answer rather than being forced to stay together in an atmosphere of growing antagonism and resentment.

I understand this because I feel the same about the EU. If my impending vote for Boris on the 12th December contributes indirectly to Scotland's independence aspiration I say to Thomas and Morayloon 'The best of British to you both and Scotlands future'

Agree entirely, Major, and a bit of fun with Thomas never goes amiss.  :hattip
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=5140 time=1573388118 user_id=84
Barry remember the old adage 'My enemy's enemy is my friend'! In this regard Thomas is quite honest in that his motivation is always to move towards an Independent Scotland.

If you are in a marriage which no longer works and you each want to go in different directions, then divorce is the obvious answer rather than being forced to stay together in an atmosphere of growing antagonism and resentment.

I understand this because I feel the same about the EU. If my impending vote for Boris on the 12th December contributes indirectly to Scotland's independence aspiration I say to Thomas and Morayloon 'The best of British to you both and Scotlands future'

Thank you kindly , and with the most sincere honesty , may i say i wish england all the very best too. :thup:

Major Sinic

Quote from: Thomas post_id=5134 time=1573385919 user_id=58
of course i do.

i have stood on this forum and told everyone that , so its no big secret.

So what are you saying barry  you wont vote tory or enact brexit , because you are scared we in scotland will get indyref2 and leave?

:lol:

im not holding a gun to yours , or toots head. You vote how you like.

hope so barry.

Remember a vote for boris and brexit , is a vote to end your union.  :hattip

God bless you all kind english sirs for your help to the scot indy cause. :thup:

Thomas

Quote from: Barry post_id=5136 time=1573386869 user_id=51
You're welcome.   :lol:

:lol: