Is the Fat Lady about to sing?

Started by DeppityDawg, December 23, 2020, 07:37:40 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on December 24, 2020, 10:59:54 AM

It's highly possible a good many French, interests would like us out. Don't forget they were never more than cool about us entering in the first place. You can bet your life that the agreement in the EU to get a deal , contains a fair element of , agreeing but only because one is out voted. And the French, have more than a  a touch of that. Where we are concerned it's in their DNA.
Macron was asked for a comment, but it was said he is self isolating due to Napoleon syndrome and a dose of the commies.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on December 24, 2020, 10:49:09 AM
All seemed set fair for the white smoke on the agreement to be sent up but a last-minute hitch stalled progress.

Negotiators were locked in a final push to get the deal over the line, determined not to add another missed deadline to the pile of discarded Brexit deadlines.

The finger of blame in Brussels was pointed in the direction of an anonymous French official who had boasted to a news agency that Boris Johnson had made massive last-minute concessions.

After that was flashed on the wires, progress ground to a halt. "Can't they just shut up as long as there isn't a deal? It only provokes a reaction," an EU diplomat raged.
While Borise was heard saying, I was only folding my blankets.

It's highly possible a good many French, interests would like us out. Don't forget they were never more than cool about us entering in the first place. You can bet your life that the agreement in the EU to get a deal , contains a fair element of , agreeing but only because one is out voted. And the French, have more than a  a touch of that. Where we are concerned it's in their DNA.

Sheepy

All seemed set fair for the white smoke on the agreement to be sent up but a last-minute hitch stalled progress.

Negotiators were locked in a final push to get the deal over the line, determined not to add another missed deadline to the pile of discarded Brexit deadlines.

The finger of blame in Brussels was pointed in the direction of an anonymous French official who had boasted to a news agency that Boris Johnson had made massive last-minute concessions.

After that was flashed on the wires, progress ground to a halt. "Can't they just shut up as long as there isn't a deal? It only provokes a reaction," an EU diplomat raged.
While Borise was heard saying, I was only folding my blankets.

Nick

Quote from: Good old on December 24, 2020, 09:11:52 AM

Still on a knife edge, a deal means compromise, for that reason alone it's going to be interesting to see if this actually does put this Brexit row to bed.
If it produces a smoother trading relationship with the EU that has got to be welcome ,but the price might still stick in the tonsils of certain people.

If we give some on fish which we all suspect it's a victory for the UK.

We lose the ECJ, we have tight borders and can control our own immigration policy, and we can make our own laws again. All while keeping trade going, something GV sniggered at and said would never happen.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Still on a knife edge, a deal means compromise, for that reason alone it%u2019s going to be interesting to see if this actually does put this Brexit row to bed.
If it produces a smoother trading relationship with the EU that has got to be welcome ,but the price might still stick in the tonsils of certain people.
Honestly good old it doesn't matter, personally the way i see it, no deal theres two losers, a deal and theres two winners. Both sides will have compromised which should be seen as strength not weakness. It has never been about who got one over the other, well it shouldnt have been.

DeppityDawg

What we do know is that Beelbeeb is changing the batteries and cleaning the screen of his calculator, in feverish anticipation of thousands of new calculations he can make ;D

cromwell

Still on a knife edge, a deal means compromise, for that reason alone it's going to be interesting to see if this actually does put this Brexit row to bed.
The dou mean the people who voted leave and won't accept bring?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Good old

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2020, 08:21:42 AM
Be very careful where you apply that.

I have heard that it's very effective applied to the feet, especially in children!

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg on December 23, 2020, 08:51:05 PM
I've got the Vicks vapour rub ready ?

Be very careful where you apply that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on December 23, 2020, 11:56:03 PM
Well, I guess it did, not that I would have a clue what nuance would mean anyway. Or even what a fat old commie like Merkel would do to save her position as commies like to be in charge for life.  :-*

Well finally it looks as though once again Merkel has put German success before any other considerations. Let's be fair to her - if Germany folds economically so does the EU. Ok we haven't seen the deal yet and we'll have to wait and see but there is little mention of Macron this morning. Banished from the front lines with his tail between his legs I suspect. He will keep some fish quotas for a given period of time I would imagine. They will have set up a different arbitration committee and I suspect there will be window dressing so that everyone can save face. We should be used to that - we are renowned for our diplomacy while most others get their guns out.

Did we fold or did the EU roll? The jury is out but I bet there will be excited pundits who will otherwise engaged in the next few days rather than dwelling on a lost Christmas. What wonderful distraction politics those at the top have wangled. Orchestrated to the Nth degree. They have got to be worth the money!

Borchester

According to the Beeb, we shall be getting the details later this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55422729

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on December 23, 2020, 10:08:27 PMThat said, the intelligent thing would be to go for a no deal. But Boris has been acting very strangely lately and I am not over sure that he can be relied upon to do anything intelligent
Now that's funny, you managed to get intelligent and Boris into a sentence  ;D

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on December 24, 2020, 12:02:57 AM
Or whichever woman he fancies next.
All hail the agreement,  maybe.
Ask Richard and Nigel.
They all sing eventually.  ;)

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on December 23, 2020, 11:45:43 PMBoris will be ushered off somewhere quiet for rest and recuperation and live happily ever after with Carrie and his new family.
Or whichever woman he fancies next.
All hail the agreement,  maybe.
Ask Richard and Nigel.
† The end is nigh †