Bringing the company you work for into disrepute.

Started by papasmurf, November 22, 2019, 08:31:17 AM

« previous - next »

Churchill

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=7123 time=1574522922 user_id=63
I presume some specific, rather than general, point triggered this ?

The problem as I see it is the degree to which the public see the individual as "the face of" the company and therefore a fall from grace becomes a corporate liability.....

To get past an employment tribunal you would have to prove the conduct actually brought the company into disrepute.

Note my words were chosen carefully. Hamfisted HR arseholes who know nothing of the reality of a tribunal will probably try to browbeat an employee into conforming in the first place or walking if "asked" to by said HR arsehole when the reality is the tribunal might well view such actions as unreasonable.

I agree in this day and age you have to provide proof evidence to justify sacking anyone, it cannot be done unless you can do it methodically over a period of time if you don't an Industrial Tribunal will take you to task which could be very costly, and may even hit the media in some cases not good for any company.

If it is gross negligence or a criminal act in the work place then sacking on the spot is justified.
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=7369 time=1574717624 user_id=53
I would generally agree with that dependant on how high the public profile and the degree of the mistake though the question was that you have brought the company into disrepute . Which would suggest getting near the bigger mistake level .  Your fired .

Yes i guess it has to be that way if your actions made hundreds of people redundant. Someone's got to take the rap. A mere Daily Mail publicity storm that blows over with fact checking, I'd probably tell the chap I'd have said the same thing. It's the "how could you possibly do that???" kind of situations where it is fatal to the employee. The master f-up.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=7359 time=1574713206 user_id=74
Yes but each person makes his mistakes. The person employing must bear in mind all the good things that person has done for the company. If they had a perfect track record right up to the time and I were the boss, I'd think about letting them keep their job as long as it was a genuine mistake. If it happened again I'd be far more towards the P45 end of things. That would be like, you'd better have a bloody good excuse or else. Wasting talent is fatal for a company. If you are unfair with one guy then their mates will not be happy either. The boss has to keep the workforce happy and optimistic. There is no need for the law in the least. I believe it should be an entirely private matter between employer and employee.

I would generally agree with that dependant on how high the public profile and the degree of the mistake though the question was that you have brought the company into disrepute . Which would suggest getting near the bigger mistake level .  Your fired .

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=7290 time=1574661073 user_id=53
I would say if you have a job with a high public profile the public profile IS part of the job . Mess up and you collect your P45 on the way out .

Yes but each person makes his mistakes. The person employing must bear in mind all the good things that person has done for the company. If they had a perfect track record right up to the time and I were the boss, I'd think about letting them keep their job as long as it was a genuine mistake. If it happened again I'd be far more towards the P45 end of things. That would be like, you'd better have a bloody good excuse or else. Wasting talent is fatal for a company. If you are unfair with one guy then their mates will not be happy either. The boss has to keep the workforce happy and optimistic. There is no need for the law in the least. I believe it should be an entirely private matter between employer and employee.

Streetwalker

I would say if you have a job with a high public profile the public profile IS part of the job . Mess up and you collect your P45 on the way out .

Baron von Lotsov

I watched a short documentary about the firm Subway last night. It's a franchise like Mc Donald's, and I think it was the founder, or some guy who was the main driving force behind it and why it was so popular had a little slip-up. He was caught fiddling with young children and put in prison for 15 years. Subway's profits crashed all over the world as a result. It's amazing how much cash rides on reputation. It could ultimately bankrupt the operation, but for the moment it is heading downwards and trying desperately to remarket itself with new logos and offering $10k grants to franchisees for an image makeover.

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=7124 time=1574523274 user_id=49
.... (see I can shout in posts too)

Nah.

Sure you can shout, but i can shout and stomp in industrial safety boots. Shouting and stomping in heels doesn't quite have the same effect.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Bright Young Thing

Have to say we probably need more information than this

QuoteIf you work for a company and you have a very public profile as part of your job, should what you do in your private life which also very public domain end up with bringing your employer into disrepute and be a sacking offence?

Such as, what job, what company, what offence. There is not nearly enough information in your opening post for ANYONE (see I can shout in posts too) to make a rational informed decision and reply.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=6954 time=1574411477 user_id=89
If you work for a company and you have a very public profile as part of your job, should what you do in your private life which also very public domain end up with bringing your employer into disrepute and be a sacking offence?

I presume some specific, rather than general, point triggered this ?

The problem as I see it is the degree to which the public see the individual as "the face of" the company and therefore a fall from grace becomes a corporate liability.....

To get past an employment tribunal you would have to prove the conduct actually brought the company into disrepute.

Note my words were chosen carefully. Hamfisted HR arseholes who know nothing of the reality of a tribunal will probably try to browbeat an employee into conforming in the first place or walking if "asked" to by said HR arsehole when the reality is the tribunal might well view such actions as unreasonable.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Churchill

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=7116 time=1574519977 user_id=69
It is obvious you have not discovered humour in your research, very sad

The dirty tricks used by spooks/terrorists/freedom fighters is not a matter for levity.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

It is obvious you have not discovered humour in your research, very sad

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=7111 time=1574517233 user_id=69
Do your own research Comrade , I am retired

I am no-ones comrade, but I have been researched spook dirty tricks for decades and never come across any instance of Mossad using it so I am genuinely interested.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill