GB news kicks off tonight

Started by cromwell, June 13, 2021, 03:05:53 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on June 21, 2021, 09:07:40 PM
Today I watched a very good and balanced discussion about trans issues by Andrew Doyle.
Andrew Neil has been discussing whether the 800,000 Scots living in England should have a vote in any Indyref2 election. (As long as they are over 16, of course).

Not a bad idea. With a bit of luck the ex pats would all vote for independence  :)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Today I watched a very good and balanced discussion about trans issues by Andrew Doyle.
Andrew Neil has been discussing whether the 800,000 Scots living in England should have a vote in any Indyref2 election. (As long as they are over 16, of course).

Funniest thing was Nicola Sturgeon commenting on Andy Burnham:
They provided subtitles in English.  :)
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Evening Standard is a London newspaper. It is the survivor of the competition decades ago between newspaper groups trying to grasp part of the lucrative city's evening newspaper market.   
The Metro, the United Kingdom's highest-circulation print newspaper, is also a freesheet. It is owned by Daily Mail and General Trust. Like all print news media, it is experiencing a downturn in advertising income — exacerbated by the Covid restrictions...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on June 20, 2021, 10:30:57 AM
Oh really, who would have guessed then? come on out with it?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/removal-of-advertising-from-gb-news-shows-democracy-being-undermined/ar-AALe1BD?ocid=msedgntp

The London Standard is a free sheet that relies upon turning its Russian and Saudi billionaire backers into common or garden variety millionaires. Plus an ever declining number of advertisers. As a result, although its politics are those of Tory remainers (ie very sad), it has a certain sympathy with GB News, which is similarly under the cosh. 
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on June 19, 2021, 04:01:27 PM
So John of Gwent thinks Dan Wooten is a bit too left wing for Gobby Bullshit News? Lol. Dan Wooten hails from the Sun. And I have watched his show more than once. All his guests have without exception so far been right wingers from what I have seen. There is no balance. The fact that someone considers that even he is too left wing for Gobby Bullshit News speaks volumes.

And of course those of us who criticise it for being overtly biased propaganda, are accused by all the usual suspects who are over-represented on this forum of wanting to shut down free speech. Bollocks. I have not lifted a finger in any attempt to shut it down. I just happen to think that broadcast news should be unbiased and balanced, concerned mainly with giving us facts, not opinions. I know the BBC itself is biased. I have myself often criticised it for it. But the solution is not to fill the airwaves with much more biased crap.

To want balance and lack of bias from the broadcast media does not constitute an attack on free speech, but an attack on politically motivated bias and opinionating.

If you lot want us to be more like America, with half the population being brainwashed idiots on either side of the divide, hooray for Gobby Bullshit News, first big step along that road.

ACTUALLY

I said SOME PEOPLE have commented that he is too much a woke lefty for their taste

I finally got to listen to him three days ago. Having both a job AND a life means I have more important things to do than listen to news programmes

After 90 seconds of listening to his bullshit that we need to force our way back onto the roads, trains and buses and return to four hour commutes to an office I turned him off and posted a comment that his view was absurd, that far from cramming the roads trains buses and cities with commuters, all who WANT to work from home should be applauded for reducing the commuter congestion. After all, the only people who benefit from insane office commutes are Saddo Khan and Property Developers both of whom I'd pay to watch go bust.

My post was declined for being too "ableist".

I posted another post asking what "ableist" meant. That was deleted without a response.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

And talking of protecting free speech ikea who have boycotted gb  news because the no hate mob told them to have been reminded of their stores in Saudi. Butt Kick
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on June 19, 2021, 04:08:32 PM
It sounds more like you only want opinions you like, which admittedly is a case of both left and right, if they are just opinions why give a flying one anyway, people can either say bollox or that makes some sense, which the so called news does away with really. They dramatise everything to the hilt and do brainwash people with it anyway.
aren't most things an opinion anyway,that's what this place is for......air an opinion,re your point about it all being petty,well it's all that too isn't it?
It's not as if anything said on here matters because those who do matter pay no attention in your westminster party.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

patman post

∆∆∆ 
It's often difficult for a simple soul like me to follow who or what you do mean, so a widely cast net now supposedly covering the whole range of news channels accessible in the UK doesn't help much...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on June 19, 2021, 06:15:28 PM
∆∆∆ 
Who's this "they"?   
GB News has only been on air for five and a bit days...

I can't mean them then can I Pat.So it must other people calling themselves news channels.

patman post

∆∆∆ 
Who's this "they"?   
GB News has only been on air for five and a bit days...

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2021, 04:40:16 PM
What is missing is news, it is just like a day-time TV chat show and seriously dumbed down to what I was expecting by the pre launch hype.
Well, I hate to burst your bubble Smurphy but everything they have been pumping has been an opinion called news for 18 months at least.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on June 19, 2021, 04:08:32 PM
It sounds more like you only want opinions you like, which admittedly is a case of both left and right, if they are just opinions why give a flying one anyway, people can either say bollox or that makes some sense, which the so called news does away with really. They dramatise everything to the hilt and do brainwash people with it anyway.

What is missing is news, it is just like a day-time TV chat show and seriously dumbed down to what I was expecting by the pre launch hype.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on June 19, 2021, 04:01:27 PM
So John of Gwent thinks Dan Wooten is a bit too left wing for Gobby Bullshit News? Lol. Dan Wooten hails from the Sun. And I have watched his show more than once. All his guests have without exception so far been right wingers from what I have seen. There is no balance. The fact that someone considers that even he is too left wing for Gobby Bullshit News speaks volumes.

And of course those of us who criticise it for being overtly biased propaganda, are accused by all the usual suspects who are over-represented on this forum of wanting to shut down free speech. Bollocks. I have not lifted a finger in any attempt to shut it down. I just happen to think that broadcast news should be unbiased and balanced, concerned mainly with giving us facts, not opinions. I know the BBC itself is biased. I have myself often criticised it for it. But the solution is not to fill the airwaves with much more biased crap.

To want balance and lack of bias from the broadcast media does not constitute an attack on free speech, but an attack on politically motivated bias and opinionating.

If you lot want us to be more like America, with half the population being brainwashed idiots on either side of the divide, hooray for Gobby Bullshit News, first big step along that road.