Main Menu

FREEDOM DAY!

Started by Barry, June 21, 2021, 11:33:40 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: patman post on June 22, 2021, 04:20:32 PM
In the absence of hard data, I am the arbiter of my own opinions drawn from any info offered — just as much as you are the arbiter and judge of the importance of any data from which you make your choices. But admittedly, that's just a supposition on my part...
Oh good. Hope you are doing your twice weekly no symptoms tests.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on June 22, 2021, 01:19:31 PM

It is, but many places seem unwilling to enforce it. The noticeable irony about this aspect of Covid is that those who ostentatiously flout the rules are the most likely to complain about them being kept in place when the infection rates continue to cause concern...

Meet you in the middle Pat.

When I get on a bus or go into a supermarket I put on a mask so as not to place the staff in a tricky position. Then I take it off, sit down or shop and no one takes any further notice.

But when I go down with the Peking Pox and am dead and opened up you will find written on my heart, dog's bollocks, Pat was right!  :)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Barry on June 22, 2021, 03:58:29 PM
When the threat was high, there was a greater duty to reduce the perceived risk and as such, even taking into account the debate over efficacy, it was MAYBE worth wearing one to protect others, so I made that choice.
Currently, there is a tiny infection rate in our area, so the risk is extremely low. Nearly all the vulnerable are vaccinated. Therefore, I consider the threat to my health from wearing a face covering greater than any reduction in risk.
I hope that this helps you understand, PP.
Oh, and what is the "supposedly" about? You are not the arbiter.
In the absence of hard data, I am the arbiter of my own opinions drawn from any info offered — just as much as you are the arbiter and judge of the importance of any data from which you make your choices. But admittedly, that's just a supposition on my part...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

My info on mask wearing regulations has been gleaned from gov.uk sites. They answer what, but do not explain why. Hence my observations about non-mask wearing — especially as the exemption claims are easily abused and, I doubt anyone able to walk 50 metres would be greatly hampered by wearing a mask.   

If anyone has external breathing assistance, that's obvious — though if equipment is large enough to prohibit mask wearing,  is that person really fit enough to to be out alone in a shop or mall? I'd also question the fitness of anyone with mental problems that inhibit mask wearing being out and needing to enter enclosed public spaces

<< https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own >> says this:   

Exemption cards
If you have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering:

• you do not routinely need to show any written evidence of this
  • you do not need show an exemption card
This means that you do not need to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about your reason for not wearing a face covering.However, some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign. Carrying an exemption card or badge is a personal choice and is not required by law.
If you wish to use an exemption card or badge, you can download exemption card templates. You can then print these yourself or show them on a mobile device. Please note that the government is not able to provide physical exemption cards or badges.If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of these templates in a more accessible format, please email publiccorrespondence@cabinetoffice.gov.uk. Please say what format you need the template in and what assistive technology you use. 
For exemptions in different parts of the UK please refer to the specific guidance for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.   

Instructions for printing and downloading mask exemption badges are given here...:   
<< https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own  >>
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: patman post on June 22, 2021, 02:04:58 PMWhat I don't understand is the reasoning of those who are/were [HIGHLIGHT]supposedly [/HIGHLIGHT]exempt from mask wearing, but still wore the mask for whatever reason. Was the mask really that more disabling for them in the first place? If so, and the mask was so disabling as to be unwearable for some, should these people have been out on their own in enclosed spaces in any case...?
When the threat was high, there was a greater duty to reduce the perceived risk and as such, even taking into account the debate over efficacy, it was MAYBE worth wearing one to protect others, so I made that choice.
Currently, there is a tiny infection rate in our area, so the risk is extremely low. Nearly all the vulnerable are vaccinated. Therefore, I consider the threat to my health from wearing a face covering greater than any reduction in risk.
I hope that this helps you understand, PP.
Oh, and what is the "supposedly" about? You are not the arbiter.

† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on June 22, 2021, 02:15:23 PM
You're falling into the anti-Covid vaxxers' misinformation slurry. The Covid vaccine has never been portrayed as 100% effective. Remember the crowing about 60, 70, 80, 90+ percent one and two jab effectiveness?  Round here (London) those who are reckoned to be vulnerable are still urged to take care with the mantra: Hands + Face + Space...

Bottom line is the letter you get after the jab categorically states you can't be sure it will stop the pox and can't be sure it won't stop you transmitting it to someone else
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on June 22, 2021, 02:04:58 PM

As I understand it, anybody was able to claim that exemption if challenged — the govt also provided printable template certification for those wanting more official recognition of their [unspecified] affliction. 

What I don't understand is the reasoning of those who are/were supposedly exempt from mask wearing, but still wore the mask for whatever reason. Was the mask really that more disabling for them in the first place? If so, and the mask was so disabling as to be unwearable for some, should these people have been out on their own in enclosed spaces in any case...?

OK, If it helps - two real world examples.

My youngest was trapped in a wrecked car for ages until the fire brigade got her out - she is now severely claustrophobic and the accident's physical damage left her with fibromyalgia (think "every fucking thing hurts")

I of course have been left with reduced lung capacity and a tendency when stressed to collapse in a sweaty heap

We have both had delightful chats with some really nice people at transport for wales and a few other places, and basically, the situation is this

There is no defined list of conditions. If you personally feel that you are unable to wear a face mask for physical or mental health reasons you do not have to. You need not make any application to anyone to get anything. It is your right to be admitted pretty much anywhere and anyone not allowing it is risking action under the disability discrimination act.

Unlike almost any other situation of disability I have seen NO reports of a Covid Mask wearer exemption Cheat being crucified by the media.

My youngest went online and bought one of the sunflower badges which with her blue badge disability parking permit has ensured no one, anywhere, ever challenged her. The nearest we got was a harvester Manager who did not spot the badge.

I myself have noticed increased breathing problems of late. Knowing that Transport for Wales ad run a course free of charge for anyone in busies wanting information on exemptions (the welsh fuckwit in the bay stopped them running trains and buses so they had sod all else to do) I called them up

I asked if my condition would qualify me for a badge and the guy said the law prevented him from asking what problem I had that made me feel I qualified for exemption. After a couple more goes round this blind alley loop I had a bit of inspiration.  I asked him if he knew what emphysema was, he said "what like is grandad had from down the mines" and from that moment I knew we'd get on ....

"yeah, pretty much" I said so OK let me ask you this, if YOU had the problem breathing today that your grandad had back then, and you found wearing a mask made it worse would YOU apply for one of these TFL exemption letters....

"Hell yes"

"OK. I think I'd like to apply for one of these exemption letters please...."

It is a paper letter, not a card, but it has a big red sign on it with white writing identifying me by name and stating i have a condition that exempts me from wearing a face mask.

The good bit was, as I told the bloke, if they emailed me the letter rather than posting it,  can use my phone or PC to snap an image of the exemption badge, crop it to a lock screen and just wave my phone at anyone i need to tell. Tfw must have been a bit slow because he thought that such a good idea he put it in as an employee suggestion. If he gets a bonus well, hell, its' a shitty job  they do....

Tfw much have trained a load of people because to date six bar security gestapos and four similar at Asda, Morrisons and Boots have taken one glance at the phone's lock screen and held the door open for me...

As for the police, well, my case is a bit out of the ordinary as every copper who has been on the beat for more than two years, every ambulance driver ditto, and half the firemen in the force all know me, my kids and my grand daughter on sight. Largely because when Melissa goes up to them and says hello, they get a strange "I know you from somewhere look" and then say something like "hey, you're the girl from the flat on fire your grandad got out, aren't you..... my word you're growing up .... (!!!!)"

It was a nasty murder, it got us known by every copper and every fireman on the force at the time ..... and every ambulanceman knows her mum from the pickups from the post office and day care centre opposite the school she works at where she gets called to every lunchtime collapse as she's the first aider on the playground

BUT from chatting to these guys, I mention in passing the little badge I have on the phone, and they all say yes, collapsing on the street when you can't fill your lungs is more than good enough to deserve that exemption....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 22, 2021, 01:58:54 PM
Your GP doesn't trust the vaccination, then.

That is not the case.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: Barry on June 22, 2021, 01:58:54 PM
You're falling into the anti-Covid vaxxers' misinformation slurry. The Covid vaccine has never been portrayed as 100% effective. Remember the crowing about 60, 70, 80, 90+ percent one and two jab effectiveness?  Round here (London) those who are reckoned to be vulnerable are still urged to take care with the mantra: Hands + Face + Space...

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on June 22, 2021, 01:52:39 PM
Very funny, my sake, (I am at present involved in a medical trial of a new drug.)

As are we all

I had the second dose of the AZ last Friday. I have my next INR test next Monday lunchtime. It will be amusing to see if the jab has thickened the blood as it did last time.

If so I might write a nice letter to the CSM detailing my observed INR readings .....

patman post

Quote from: Barry on June 22, 2021, 01:37:19 PM
No flouting took place. I merely used the exemption I have always had after my latest risk assessment.
Totally lawful.
As I understand it, anybody was able to claim that exemption if challenged — the govt also provided printable template certification for those wanting more official recognition of their [unspecified] affliction. 

What I don't understand is the reasoning of those who are/were supposedly exempt from mask wearing, but still wore the mask for whatever reason. Was the mask really that more disabling for them in the first place? If so, and the mask was so disabling as to be unwearable for some, should these people have been out on their own in enclosed spaces in any case...?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on June 21, 2021, 02:24:52 PM

So one way and another, this flu business has been quite easy and mildly advantageous. How about everyone else?

Well of course when I rose from my sick bed on the 18th December last year the slimmest I had been for eight years, with blood glucose down to 4.2 and blood pressure 100/60 I thought the Chinese pox was on a par with a health farm...

Then the heart stopped pumping properly, and having spent one weekend and three days following in a & e I was sent home with various tablets lest I catch the pox again....

And the following Saturday I had the (mini) stroke.

Which was quite interesting..

Back into A&E at 21:30 sat, out by 16:30 sun ( they really worry you'll catch the pox in their new hospital) I was back at work at 8:30 Monday, although I could notvat that time use a mouse nor string too many if then else clauses together...

On Monday coming I get to see a cardiologist who will tell.me how fucked my heart really is.

Given the breathing issues I've had since the stroke, I'd say pretty fucked actually

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 22, 2021, 01:48:51 PM
Despite having had both jabs (Last one the end of March.) I am still being advised by my GP to avoid people and shops.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 22, 2021, 01:50:09 PM
∆∆∆ 
Is that for your sake or theirs...?

Very funny, my sake, (I am at present involved in a medical trial of a new drug.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

∆∆∆ 
Is that for your sake or theirs...?