I wonder how the EU really feels about Brexit?

Started by Borchester, August 03, 2021, 05:57:01 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 15, 2021, 09:25:48 PM
So many were set on persuading everyone that this would not happen. Was it true that one of the influences we had while in the EU was to manage to hold the more extreme elements at bay? Perhaps without us they can now create their vision. That's if they survive long enough.
Well perhaps as she is so enthusiastic about the idea they should put her in charge,I mean she was a stunning success with the Bundeswehr wasn't she?

What could possibly go wrong  :)
https://www.politico.eu/article/the-scandal-hanging-over-ursula-von-der-leyen/
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on September 15, 2021, 08:52:52 PM
Well I did say,and now Mrs von der liar wants an eu military independent of NATO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58570505

So many were set on persuading everyone that this would not happen. Was it true that one of the influences we had while in the EU was to manage to hold the more extreme elements at bay? Perhaps without us they can now create their vision. That's if they survive long enough.

cromwell

Well I did say,and now Mrs von der liar wants an eu military independent of NATO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58570505
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on September 15, 2021, 02:59:48 PM
But the Marshall plan did not start until 1947.

Pat, you have managed to kid Deppity that you are something in the City. Nothing wrong with that. We all like to swank a bit. But you never seem to check anything and your general knowledge does not seem to rise much above the most basic cliches, although to be fair, most City types I have meet would have trouble finding their arses with both hands strapped behind their backs.

But please set my mind at rest. You aren't in the DWP are you? No offence, but I would hate to have you anywhere near my pension
And because the Lend-Lease subsidies had stopped, Marshall Aid money was squandered on keeping up gold and dollar reserves  and maintaining Britain's worldwide military presence instead of modernising Britain's obsolete industrial system, and the country's woefully outdated railways and telecommunications...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on September 15, 2021, 04:30:15 PM
Even so it's all ours. I would so much rather pay for a whole dress than just have the sleeves!
Agh, but some women look better just in sleeves.

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on September 15, 2021, 02:19:49 PM
Yes, Gerry. You are absolutely right, in theory. Thank you for putting me right. Germany have the same influence as Malta, I get it now.
Who said anything about influence. Ireland has had its fair share of influence in the EU, more than many countries, but we don't rule the EU. Influence doesn't make a country leader vote in a debate that best suits Germany, your not dealing with the likes of Johnson, Farage, Cummings. I don't think it's me that's naive, you should go off with Nick and brainstorm. Or better still just give up saying Germany rules the EU, its getting embarrassing at this stage

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on September 15, 2021, 11:18:03 AM
The legacy of the Marshall plan aid after the 2nd World War. Also Germany has a massive manufacturing base the products of which are mainly exported.

Rubbish. The united kingdom was the largest beneficiary of marshall plan aid after world war two , with the then west germany receiving less than half of what the uk got.

I think you will find its a little more complicated than that smurf. ( you obviously dont read this forum as patman post and deppity dawg were discussing this only on here last week , but im sure it passed you by  ::))
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on September 15, 2021, 03:45:10 PMThe UK has found that going alone it's costing far more than the 0.5%.

Even so it's all ours. I would so much rather pay for a whole dress than just have the sleeves!

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on September 15, 2021, 03:25:38 PM
Didn't you tell them I was visiting with you on Planet denial.

;D ;D ;D ;D I hear it's quite busy there!

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on September 15, 2021, 01:59:26 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D You obviously have never dealt with a mum of little girls!
Thankfully I dodged that bullet  :)

You are right of course except if the EU was involved the child would be 18 before a decision was made.
It was the EU constantly waiting for the UK to try keep up during the whole brexit fiasco. Having to give in to UK requests for extension after extension. Even now the UK after extending the implementation of their border checks looks like they intend to delay and extend the October deadline it set itself. Meanwhile all EU border checks/customs arrangements are up and running since the glorious brexit day.

Just as an after thought is it EU policy that all members should be the same? Does that mean that any advantages derived by Germany in terms of financial gain should be forfeited to bring them in line? It always seemed to me that other members waited for handouts.
Only while dancing  :)
In reality each EU country contributes less than 0.5% of their GDP, those funds are used primarily in projects to develop employment, agriculture, the arts, culture within the EU and the focus is to send that money to the poorer regions. After this each EU member gets to spend it's money how ever it see's fit.
Note this cost includes the running of the EU institutions and payment of all EU staff (politicians, civil servants etc..). The UK has found that going alone it's costing far more than the 0.5%.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 15, 2021, 01:23:36 PM
The real world has just been on the phone Gerry, it was wondering where you are!
Didn't you tell them I was visiting with you on Planet denial.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on September 15, 2021, 02:43:29 PM
Because Lend-Lease ended in 1945.   

But the Marshall plan did not start until 1947.

Pat, you have managed to kid Deppity that you are something in the City. Nothing wrong with that. We all like to swank a bit. But you never seem to check anything and your general knowledge does not seem to rise much above the most basic cliches, although to be fair, most City types I have meet would have trouble finding their arses with both hands strapped behind their backs.

But please set my mind at rest. You aren't in the DWP are you? No offence, but I would hate to have you anywhere near my pension
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on September 15, 2021, 02:27:18 PM
That was in 1946. Four years later it was a third of that.
Because Lend-Lease ended in 1945.   

Had Britain reconciled itself earlier than it did to no longer being a global leader it might have also become an industrial powerhouse with an advanced welfare system.   

The surprising part of history for me is that Labour also bought into the vision of Britain as an enduring world power in the same league as the United States, instead of recognising those days were probably ebbing by 1920...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on September 15, 2021, 02:13:20 PM
power and maintain more than two million military personnel in fleets, garrisons and air squadrons sprawled across the world —

That was in 1946. Four years later it was a third of that.
Algerie Francais !