Main Menu

Ancestral DNA

Started by papasmurf, December 11, 2019, 01:14:04 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9955 time=1576334760 user_id=89
It is fake news the way you posted it first, your (American) link makes that VERY clear:-

however, 23andMe may be required by law to comply with a valid court order, subpoena, or search warrant for genetic or personal information.

23andMe requires valid legal process in order to consider producing information about our users. 23andMe will only review inquiries as defined in 18 USC § 2703(c)(2) related to to a valid trial, grand jury or administrative subpoena, warrant, or order."

Nothing I have posted in this thread is untrue.

" According to the company's self-reported data, law enforcement has requested information for five American 23andMe customers.

So far, the company reports it has not turned over any information.

But Black said she wouldn't entirely rule it out in the future."We would always review a request and take it on a case-by-case basis," Black said.

Ancestry self-reports that it complied with a 2014 search warrant to identify a customer based on a DNA sample."

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/police-can-request-your-dna-from-23andme-ancestry/630565206/">https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/loca ... 630565206/">https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/police-can-request-your-dna-from-23andme-ancestry/630565206/

This information is being self-reported by the DNA companies themselves.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=9952 time=1576334550 user_id=99
It's not. Indeed popular ancestry company 23&me list under what circumstances they would hand over such information on their website -

Requests for 23andMe User Information

"23andMe chooses to use all practical legal and administrative resources to resist requests from law enforcement, and we do not share customer data with any public databases, or with entities that may increase the risk of law enforcement access. In certain circumstances, however, 23andMe may be required by law to comply with a valid court order, subpoena, or search warrant for genetic or personal information.

23andMe requires valid legal process in order to consider producing information about our users. 23andMe will only review inquiries as defined in 18 USC § 2703(c)(2) related to to a valid trial, grand jury or administrative subpoena, warrant, or order."

https://www.23andme.com/law-enforcement-guide/">https://www.23andme.com/law-enforcement-guide/

It is fake news the way you posted it first, your (American) link makes that VERY clear:-

however, 23andMe may be required by law to comply with a valid court order, subpoena, or search warrant for genetic or personal information.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9932 time=1576331476 user_id=89
I think you will find that is fake news.

It's not. Indeed popular ancestry company 23&me list under what circumstances they would hand over such information on their website -

Requests for 23andMe User Information

"23andMe chooses to use all practical legal and administrative resources to resist requests from law enforcement, and we do not share customer data with any public databases, or with entities that may increase the risk of law enforcement access. In certain circumstances, however, 23andMe may be required by law to comply with a valid court order, subpoena, or search warrant for genetic or personal information.

https://www.23andme.com/law-enforcement-guide/">https://www.23andme.com/law-enforcement-guide/

Churchill

I agreed with you on the fake news bit that was it, then you go off on one again  :roll:
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=9935 time=1576331848 user_id=69
For once I agree with you, Churchill goes for lay down in dark room

Oh dear. Unless it is the police DNA base, ones for ancestry information are anonymised. There is no personal information on the sample tube only a number. If you lose the number you can't even check the result yourself.

Also for legal reasons a self-taken sample would not pass evidence criteria.

Churchill

For once I agree with you, Churchill goes for lay down in dark room
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=9931 time=1576331056 user_id=99
Well given that you've apparently found a good one, I don't think it's inappropriate for you to share, but if you'd rather not fair enough.

Interestingly I was reading a story the other day about law enforcement requesting DNA from ancestry companies, and that they can even use the DNA of relatives in some cases.

I think you will find that is fake news.

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9560 time=1576225301 user_id=89
If people wish to get their DNA checked it is up them to choose who does it. I am not going to advertise on an internet forum.

Well given that you've apparently found a good one, I don't think it's inappropriate for you to share, but if you'd rather not fair enough.

Interestingly I was reading a story the other day about law enforcement requesting DNA from ancestry companies, and that they can even use the DNA of relatives in some cases.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9476 time=1576179712 user_id=62
To be honest I am more interested in where I am going than where I came from.

My sister in law is lovely but the least bit of a snob. A few years ago she got involved in this genealogy lark and in the course of sniffing around she discovered that her great grandmother had been born at The Meadows in Kent.

The SIL's imagination went into overdrive. The Meadows was a house in Kent! A detached house in Kent!  A large detached house in Kent!  A large detached stately home in Kent! She was related to the Kentish nobility!

We all waited for this to blow over but it didn't and finally her husband trudged down south and discovered that mid 19th century record keeping was not what it might have been. Apparently her great grandmother hadn't been born in the Meadows but a meadow and was probably a Pikkie who had stopped over for the fruit picking.

I can't see anything wrong with being a Pikkie but it was not the result the SIL really wanted.

Well I know for as fact my name comes from a Scottish clan. One of them was a governor of an American colony, and there is a town over there also in my clan's name. I might go over there and reclaim it!
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=9517 time=1576194917 user_id=48
There's no rhyme or reason......you'll get used to it.

If people wish to get their DNA checked it is up them to choose who does it. I am not going to advertise on an internet forum.

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=9506 time=1576190607 user_id=99...uh, why?

There's no rhyme or reason......you'll get used to it.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9406 time=1576167346 user_id=89
I am not telling you.

...uh, why?

Borchester

To be honest I am more interested in where I am going than where I came from.

My sister in law is lovely but the least bit of a snob. A few years ago she got involved in this genealogy lark and in the course of sniffing around she discovered that her great grandmother had been born at The Meadows in Kent.

The SIL's imagination went into overdrive. The Meadows was a house in Kent! A detached house in Kent!  A large detached house in Kent!  A large detached stately home in Kent! She was related to the Kentish nobility!

We all waited for this to blow over but it didn't and finally her husband trudged down south and discovered that mid 19th century record keeping was not what it might have been. Apparently her great grandmother hadn't been born in the Meadows but a meadow and was probably a Pikkie who had stopped over for the fruit picking.

I can't see anything wrong with being a Pikkie but it was not the result the SIL really wanted.
Algerie Francais !

Churchill

If you don't try you will never know, how about trying to track an expert/historian in vintage horse drawn carts on line.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Churchill post_id=9432 time=1576169995 user_id=69
You may find him on line if he had any sales catalogues produced or even his work up for sale attributed to him

Hmm, I'm not sure about that, but I might be able to track down some of the carts his wife's grandfather sold. You see her grandfather had a pretty large business in making carts for horses,and they were your upper crust sort, available in Harrods. Indeed Harrods probably have records going back to that period.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>