I'm glad I'm getting out of it...

Started by DeppityDawg, October 24, 2021, 11:06:43 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on November 12, 2021, 12:38:51 PM
Actually, I always thought Pat went to George Town Comprehensive.  And the main tenet of the Guyanese education system was that you were there to learn and if you didn't you got a flogging until you did. Several Guyanese friends have waxes sentimental about the system.

The strength of the Scottish Education system rested on something I saw at Edinburgh University. It was a set of scales that the dominies used to check their students' fees and ensure they weren't being cheated. Scottish education was a very down to earth affair and thus the best in the world. Nowadays it appears to be about how many rainbows will exit Wee Krankie's bum at any given time, so not so much.
Not really borkie , i think you have it all wrong there.

The scottish education system has always been a sore point with you english as it forced you to confront many uncomfortable truths.

When the uncultured , backward , barbaric anglo saxons first came to these islands 1600 years ago , it was the scottish and irish who came down to show you how to read write add up and hold a bible the right way around.

English kings like Aldfrith of northumbria were famously eduated among the scots and irish , and while the gaidhlig scribes were penning the great illuminated celtic gospel books at kells , Doire ,echternach , armagh etc , the anglo saxon peasants were still carving on cave walls.

In the later medieval times , scotland had five universities when england only had three.

What scotland is really famous for is educating the poor for free while the rest of europe didnt. The presbyterian taliban cottoned onto the fact that back in the celtic times , the scots and irish educated the poor to provide a steady pool of highly educated talent , so they revived this ancient tradition which went onto produce the scottish enlightenment.

I dont think borkie that scottish education ,   which was always deliberately exaggerated to wind up you english , has declined under wee krankie. I think its more the fact the rest of the world has caught up with us , including you english.

:)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on November 12, 2021, 08:13:28 AM
Its such a shame though that that old fashioned "british Education " didnt teach you the basics that there is no such thing as an "old fashioned british education system".

Pat's problem is that he wants to back the same horse in different races. On the one hand, he never fails to tell everyone how well educated and successful he is, how extensive his property portfolio is, and how he travels the world first class in his fantastic business career - while frequently playing the race card with references about the the mistreatment he has received at the hands of the law (and others), none of which apparently prevented him from having a successful career or aquiring his property empire. I know the old bill slapped me up a few times, yet I never managed to acquire a property portfolio in London or fly first class to Timbuktoo every third week day. Obviosuly I'm not half the bloke he is, or he doesn't appear to grasp how the contradictions play out to other readers. Either he is a wholly exceptional person who has risen above adversity, or his start in life was not affected by the colour of his skin to the extent he would have others believe. I think that in reality, his education was probably better and more extensive than that of most others, regardless of their skin colour ir place of birth. In the end, this has turned Pat into a small c conservative with his own bigoted views

For all his talk about "British education", he has little to no idea of what the reality meant for the average Secondary Modern or Comprehensive school kid in this country, firstly because by his own admission he was sent away to be educated, and secondly because be displays absolutely zero knowledge of what life for a council estate pleb was like in Hackney, let alone Glasgow. As for Pats understanding of history, its basically what the BBC History website says it is.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on November 12, 2021, 08:13:28 AM
Its such a shame though that that old fashioned "british Education " didnt teach you the basics that there is no such thing as an "old fashioned british education system".

Education in Scotland is overseen by the Scottish Government and its executive agency Education Scotland. Education in Scotland has a history of universal provision of public education, and the Scottish education system is distinctly different from those in the other countries of the United Kingdom

Scotland has its own qualification framework that is separate from the one set for England, Wales and Northern Ireland

Its nothing new , being a basic tenet of the acts of union in 1707 , that scotlands church law and education would remain seperate from englands.

Even an uneducated pleb from a council estate like myself knows that from primary school thorugh to high school and college and scottish uni , scottish education is vastly different from englands , a glaring difference being scotland doesnt pay uni fees like your country.

Scottish education is no more "british " than englands education is "european".

We know history in whatever education system you allege you learned in wasnt your strong point , but before pontificating you need to try and get the basic wording of your boasting correct.

Stick to "editing " links to make them appear to say what you want them to say pat.

Actually, I always thought Pat went to George Town Comprehensive.  And the main tenet of the Guyanese education system was that you were there to learn and if you didn't you got a flogging until you did. Several Guyanese friends have waxes sentimental about the system.

The strength of the Scottish Education system rested on something I saw at Edinburgh University. It was a set of scales that the dominies used to check their students' fees and ensure they weren't being cheated. Scottish education was a very down to earth affair and thus the best in the world. Nowadays it appears to be about how many rainbows will exit Wee Krankie's bum at any given time, so not so much.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Supply chain crisis: Will Germany see shortages this Christmas?

With material shortages, supply disruptions and heavy port congestion all putting pressure on Germany's supply chains, many retailers and consumers are looking anxiously forward to the Christmas period. The country's biggest retail association has said there is no cause for concern, but others aren't quite so optimistic. 
Global supply chain crisis felt in Germany
The world's supply chains are in disarray. First struck by factory and port closures, companies are now battling with raw material shortages, fierce competition for freight spaces and congestion in ports, as the world economy reboots after the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/supply-chain-crisis-will-germany-see-shortages-christmas

:D

brexit , brexit i tell ye ( laughs in british):P

Thomas

Where have all the workers gone? Dutch employers grapple with post-lockdown staffing shortages

Randstad, one of the largest temporary employment agencies in the Netherlands and abroad, cannot keep up with the unmet need for temporary workers. According to the agency's latest numbers, a shortage of close to 100,000 temporary workers looms. In July 2021, there were approximately 207,000 open positions, an increase of more than 63 per cent from the year before. Dominique Hermans, CEO of Randstad Netherlands, suggests that staffing difficulties have had negative consequences for economic growth: "Because of the persistent scarcity in certain sectors, a number of companies are struggling to meet their potential."

https://www.hollandtimes.nl/2021-edition-7-september/where-have-all-the-workers-gone-dutch-employers-grapple-with-post-lockdown-staffing-shortages/

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on November 11, 2021, 09:30:05 PM

Perhaps it's now clear to those who maybe interested, why I value (an old-fashioned) British education

Education in Scotland is overseen by the Scottish Government and its executive agency Education Scotland. Education in Scotland has a history of universal provision of public education, and the Scottish education system is distinctly different from those in the other countries of the United Kingdom

Scotland has its own qualification framework that is separate from the one set for England, Wales and Northern Ireland

Its nothing new , being a basic tenet of the acts of union in 1707 , that scotlands church law and education would remain seperate from englands.

Even an uneducated pleb from a council estate like myself knows that from primary school thorugh to high school and college and scottish uni , scottish education is vastly different from englands , a glaring difference being scotland doesnt pay uni fees like your country.

Scottish education is no more "british " than englands education is "european".

We know history in whatever education system you allege you learned in wasnt your strong point , but before pontificating you need to try and get the basic wording of your boasting correct.

Stick to "editing " links to make them appear to say what you want them to say pat.

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on November 11, 2021, 07:04:53 PM
"Carrefour shops across Belgium are still experiencing issues following a strike at the Logistics Nivelles distribution centre at the start of the week."  So says the link a couple of posts back with a pic of empty Carrefour shelves in Brussels...
:D

I think deppity summed it up so i will leave it there.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: patman post on November 11, 2021, 09:30:05 PM
The report runs:

There are currently 5,000 job openings for lorry drivers in Belgium, which needed to be filled urgently to keep the shop shelves filled, says Febetra, the federation of Belgian transport and logistics service providers.

Febetra pointed to the United Kingdom, where the consequences of a shortage of lorry drivers are evident, as the country is facing fuel shortages and empty shelves in supermarkets are seen because they cannot be supplied.

"If we want the shop shelves to remain filled in the future, then extra drivers are urgently needed," Isabelle De Maegt of Febetra said in a press release.

To fill in the thousands of vacancies in Belgium, Febetra is also organising the Day of the Truck Driver on 9 December, when drivers will receive a small gift such as a cup of coffee, a snack or a card at various locations.

"Without truck drivers, the world stops turning and we do not realise that enough," she added. "Without them, shelves in supermarkets and shops remain empty, all construction sites are at a standstill and factories stop running."

In the meantime [meaning, while the driver shortage is being addressed] Carrefour shops across Belgium are still experiencing issues following a strike at the Logistics Nivelles distribution centre at the start of the week.

While the employees [of the above distribution centre] decided to resume work on Thursday and transport company Supertransport also agreed to end the strike, it could take a few days before all Carrefour stores are fully resupplied.

Taken from: https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/187453/belgium-is-looking-for-5000-lorry-drivers-to-keep-shop-shelves-filled/

The first five paragraphs refer to lorry driver shortages  — and paragraph two uses the UK to illustrate what could happen. That's no doubt galling to a proud Englishman to have johnny foreigner point out problems in Blighty.

But paragraph six recounts what's happening to Carrefour because of a strike — not because of the national driver shortage.

This is made clear by the report when it then says it could take a few days before all Carrefour stores are fully resupplied — not because the national driver shortage is over, but because the strike has ended.

Perhaps it's now clear to those who maybe interested, why I value (an old-fashioned) British education — ie, it helps me to read and understand what's reported in publications that are linked to, and what's used to misreport in biased posts...
The only thing that's clear is that once again you attempt illustrate your sneering superiority with references to your education.

The issue being contested here is that Brexit alone is responsible for the UKs driver shortage, by pointing out that driver shortages exist across most developed economies for many reasons, not exclusively to do with the UK leaving the EU, not strikes at Carrefour

It's difficult to imagine a snobbier **** than you. You make Hyacinth Bucket look common.

patman post

The report runs:

There are currently 5,000 job openings for lorry drivers in Belgium, which needed to be filled urgently to keep the shop shelves filled, says Febetra, the federation of Belgian transport and logistics service providers.

Febetra pointed to the United Kingdom, where the consequences of a shortage of lorry drivers are evident, as the country is facing fuel shortages and empty shelves in supermarkets are seen because they cannot be supplied.

"If we want the shop shelves to remain filled in the future, then extra drivers are urgently needed," Isabelle De Maegt of Febetra said in a press release.

To fill in the thousands of vacancies in Belgium, Febetra is also organising the Day of the Truck Driver on 9 December, when drivers will receive a small gift such as a cup of coffee, a snack or a card at various locations.

"Without truck drivers, the world stops turning and we do not realise that enough," she added. "Without them, shelves in supermarkets and shops remain empty, all construction sites are at a standstill and factories stop running."

In the meantime [meaning, while the driver shortage is being addressed] Carrefour shops across Belgium are still experiencing issues following a strike at the Logistics Nivelles distribution centre at the start of the week.

While the employees [of the above distribution centre] decided to resume work on Thursday and transport company Supertransport also agreed to end the strike, it could take a few days before all Carrefour stores are fully resupplied.

Taken from: https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/187453/belgium-is-looking-for-5000-lorry-drivers-to-keep-shop-shelves-filled/

The first five paragraphs refer to lorry driver shortages  — and paragraph two uses the UK to illustrate what could happen. That's no doubt galling to a proud Englishman to have johnny foreigner point out problems in Blighty.

But paragraph six recounts what's happening to Carrefour because of a strike — not because of the national driver shortage.

This is made clear by the report when it then says it could take a few days before all Carrefour stores are fully resupplied — not because the national driver shortage is over, but because the strike has ended.

Perhaps it's now clear to those who maybe interested, why I value (an old-fashioned) British education — ie, it helps me to read and understand what's reported in publications that are linked to, and what's used to misreport in biased posts...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

DeppityDawg

Quote from: patman post on November 11, 2021, 07:04:53 PM
"Carrefour shops across Belgium are still experiencing issues following a strike at the Logistics Nivelles distribution centre at the start of the week."  So says the link a couple of posts back with a pic of empty Carrefour shelves in Brussels...

That isn't the whole sentence. The whole sentences begins "In the meantime, Carrefour shops across Belgium...etc". The article clearly states that there are 5000 openings for lorry drivers in Belgium that "need to be filled urgently". That there was a strike at a distribution centre is incidental to that which the article makes clear.

Odd how a poster who prides himself on his word perfect use of the English language (because of course, hes so well educated ::) ) would fail to see how such an omission completely alters the implied meaning...unless of course, that's exactly what he was intending to do

So whats your point? Do you even fecking have one?

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Javert on November 10, 2021, 06:25:37 PM
Can you show me some evidence of photos that fuel shortages and empty shelves and significantly reduced choice are happening in Germany, France, and other countries? 

It's a bit strange that you and Nick seem to claim that the people who actually live there, who I speak to regularly, are telling lies (these are work colleagues not just acquantances or friends so they have no particular reason to lie about it), but people who live in the UK know better.  Not surprising though.

Also if you had read my post, you would see that I acknowledged there is a shortage of HGV drivers in other countries, but these countries are able to manage the situation using overtime, drivers from other countries, and various solutions.  Many businesses run perfectly successfully with less than 100% complement of staff - it's only when the situation becomes critical by deliberately getting rid off a large number of staff without having a plan to keep the service running that it actually results in serious impact on customers.

The UK had the same theoretical shortage even before Brexit - it was only when Brexit came that suddenly the shortages actually caused major issues for consumers.
In between your "once in a moon " drive by posts , we have been posting links on various threads to shortages across various countries these past number of months.

Andrew neil has just announced on twitter about rampant american inflation at a high of 6.2 % to the year ending last month , food prices spiralling out of control , shortages of raw materials and staff etc etc.

France has a shortage from memory of some 40 000 hgv drivers , america even higher along with many other nations across the globe.

some links , not that you are interested javert , as it pisses on your anti brexit fireworks...

French hotel industry 'on its knees' due to staff shortage, CEO says

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20211105-french-hotel-industry-on-its-knees-due-to-staff-shortage-industry-leader-says

Why Italy's fuel prices are among the highest in Europe – and rising

Petrol, diesel and methane prices are surging in Italy along with household energy bills as the price of natural gas spikes across Europe. Here's how much prices are going up - and why the cost increases are hitting Italy so hard.

https://www.thelocal.it/20211004/why-italys-fuel-prices-are-the-highest-rising-in-europe/

Belgium is looking for 5,000 lorry drivers to prevent empty shelves

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/187453/belgium-is-looking-for-5000-lorry-drivers-to-keep-shop-shelves-filled/

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Javert on November 10, 2021, 06:34:53 PM
If you talk to people from different countries about what is happening there, and what is reported in their newspapers and so on, you will find that things are completely different from the view of "foreigners" portrayed in much of the UK media - the case in point being these reports that shortages in the shops in other countries are just as bad as the UK.  This is factually untrue but think what you like.

Obviously all business meetings globally, including all the ones you ever attended, sticks 100% to the agenda - there is never any greetings or networking or general discussions, and in a global manufacturing business it's of course always completely irrelevant to discuss potential supply chain issues ???
Yes Javert

The shortages hitting countries around the world - BBC News

And the BBC (that famously "non partisan" news source) is lying. As are the videos of US truck drivers detailing the absurdly long waits to get unloaded, the container ships riding at anchor for weeks outside ports around the world and hundreds of news articles detailing labour shortages in countries all over the world. And yes, of course, all the reports in all the papers, including the Guardian and Puffington about the crippled global supply chain are all just fecking lies, its ALL the fault of Brexit. Its all lies lies lies....

For feck sake Javert, grow up

cromwell

Quote from: Javert on November 10, 2021, 06:34:53 PM
If you talk to people from different countries about what is happening there, and what is reported in their newspapers and so on, you will find that things are completely different from the view of "foreigners" portrayed in much of the UK media - the case in point being these reports that shortages in the shops in other countries are just as bad as the UK.  This is factually untrue but think what you like.

Obviously all business meetings globally, including all the ones you ever attended, sticks 100% to the agenda - there is never any greetings or networking or general discussions, and in a global manufacturing business it's of course always completely irrelevant to discuss potential supply chain issues ???
Foreigners portrayed.

Ah I see you're steering toward a Brexiteers are all xenophobic,nothing further from the truth.

I think you'll find it's Brussels is the problem,I happily worked in Deutschland long before the EU and have no problem with our European neighbours.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?