Brexit Britain surges ahead in world economics race

Started by HallowedBrexit, December 28, 2021, 09:14:00 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Benson on April 05, 2022, 08:57:19 PM
Mervyn King did say in an interview that it has never been financially beneficial being in the EU. The UK is now free to organise it's own trade deals with every country, except the EU member states.

I wouldn't entertain trying a trade deal with the EU, both just have tariffs in place and the government should look for deals elsewhere. I would also look to ditch all this junk from China over time. Grants should be put into UK manufacturing, tourism (cleaning up the coastline), and farming. We should also be energy self sufficient.
Would agree with most of that,it would be hard to ditch China though they are now pretty much the workshop of the world,as for the eu it depends if they want to continue playing silly buggers.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Benson

Mervyn King did say in an interview that it has never been financially beneficial being in the EU. The UK is now free to organise it's own trade deals with every country, except the EU member states.

I wouldn't entertain trying a trade deal with the EU, both just have tariffs in place and the government should look for deals elsewhere. I would also look to ditch all this junk from China over time. Grants should be put into UK manufacturing, tourism (cleaning up the coastline), and farming. We should also be energy self sufficient.
How do you change your signature?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 03, 2022, 02:31:25 PM
You also said this.

You're now again going against what you said earlier.

You said, why would JIT suffer? Now you're saying it will, make your mind up.
? no I didn't, what I said and what you quoted from me was

I was asking HOW will JIT work, I was saying in the long term JIT doesn't make any sense, and it doesn't. I said it only makes some sense if the cars are being sold in the UK, but when you think about it even that is at risk with JIT issues.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 01, 2022, 10:15:51 PM
Are you saying the fall happened at the point of the vote? Don't be ridiculous.

You may have had done truck if you had said left EU but even that wouldn't wash cause Covid obliterated everything and Brexit didn't leave a blip.
Not a blip ;D ;D ;D

Your not paying the 350m a week (that was a lie, actually about 160m a week). Thats now in your back pocket, is it been spent on the NHS ;D ;D ;D
This might help  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-cost-trade-eu-b1843018.html 
A fall of 2.9% in CPI translating into a £870 per yr cost of living for the average uk household
A 10% drop in business investment (pre covid)
A conservative damage to the UK economy by 2019 of min $400m a week (ouch NHS)

That's just a couple, its a good read.  And before the leaver Thomas comes in to say the vote wasn't about money it was about yoear freedommm. The if sovereignty was so important why did the UK leave a portion of its country in the EU and under the durisdiction of the EU courts. Surely a country that laid so much importance in sovereignty the thought of doing such a thing would be unmentionable, but apparently sovereignty wasn't that important after all, now was it.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 03, 2022, 02:21:17 PM
Ok, look at what was said
The reality is under a no deal brexit all these industries are f**k*d.
Was there no deal ? no there wasn't. There was a deal but it was a bad one, not the same as no deal but pretty close. If things stay that way then the UK JIT car manufacturing is doomed. If large stock is required then it's not JIT and the cars will cost more. In a highly price sensitive market, that's not going to work.
As for the UK car inductry, how will JIT work, all those customs checks/delays/tariffs both ways.
This is saying the same thing, so you're showing what, my comments are consistent ?  if there are customs delays and duties then the car industry as you now see it is not going to survive. Yes companies will leave manufacturing for the UK market, that makes sense, but like the financial market moving over 1 trillion out of the UK, the car industry will follow suite. Its harder to move an industry which has such capital outlay, but it will move.

It is final, but no cliff edge. 1000 cuts, surely you remember me saying that before.

You also said this.

[highlight]As for the UK car inductry, how will JIT work, all those customs checks/delays/tariffs both ways. [/highlight]Doesn't really make sense long term unless your producing only for the UK market. You'll see big changes here with time.
You're now again going against what you said earlier. 

You said, why would JIT suffer? Now you're saying it will, make your mind up. 

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on January 01, 2022, 03:36:51 PM
Actually, the reality is that we want a strong Euro and a week pound so that we can sell Johnny foreigner lots of our stuff without buying too much his. But it is like looking at the girls knees in church. Harmless, but one of those things you don't do.
You don't have much of a grasp of economics do you. Start with these two, the UK imports raw material for it's industry, factor that into the selling price of UK goods and second, people will want pay rises to pay for the rising prices (the UK imports over 40% of all its food it consumes to mention one) no how does that affect your model. A lower valued pound, rising costs and little chance of a pay rise.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 01, 2022, 03:06:38 PM
Unfortunately for you your recollection is flawed. Not only did Gerry state that the car industry would be F@@ked he is now saying it was always going to be fine.
Project fear failed and now the remoaners are denying it 😂.

Sounds fairly final to me!!
Ok, look at what was said
Was there no deal ? no there wasn't. There was a deal but it was a bad one, not the same as no deal but pretty close. If things stay that way then the UK JIT car manufacturing is doomed. If large stock is required then it's not JIT and the cars will cost more. In a highly price sensitive market, that's not going to work.
As for the UK car inductry, how will JIT work, all those customs checks/delays/tariffs both ways. 
This is saying the same thing, so you're showing what, my comments are consistent ?  if there are customs delays and duties then the car industry as you now see it is not going to survive. Yes companies will leave manufacturing for the UK market, that makes sense, but like the financial market moving over 1 trillion out of the UK, the car industry will follow suite. Its harder to move an industry which has such capital outlay, but it will move.

It is final, but no cliff edge. 1000 cuts, surely you remember me saying that before.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 01, 2022, 02:05:54 PM
Pre the vote, GBP was artificially manipulated to €1.41 (2015) by the futures markets.  They bought billions of Euros and then forced down prices after the Brexit vote, dumping the Euros back at a reduced rate of €1.06 to the Pound.

I suppose you're going to deny that the markets are manipulated? You also fail to mention the Euro was worth 95p in 2009!
Deny ?  didn't you see the graph I posted, it went back 20 yrs, pre the financial crash Euro averaged around 65c, since then it was recovering. It's current rate of .85 is a big turn from where is was pre brexit, but this is being off-set by the UK current inflation of 5.2%. Again covid masks these numbers so lets see where this goes by the end of the yr. 

Are you going to deny that the currency rate affects your economy, short term blips are less of a worry, are their signs that the pound is going back to the 70p to euro rate ?

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 01, 2022, 01:34:21 PM
im surprised gerry that yet again while you are on here wafffling on about the pound you havent mentioned that irish just became a full official language of the EU from midnight last night.

;D

Come on gerry , you need to try and keep up with whats happening in ireland mate. Its a milestone that has been warmly welcomed.
Warmly welcomed ;D;D;D;D Don't know what Irish men your talking too. Most wouldn't give a monkeys and I would think many, like me, would see this as a terrible waste of good money. Very very few Irish can speak Irish, and that's after it been a compulsory subject to the Leaving cert (pre 3rd level).

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 30, 2021, 06:30:13 PM
Gerry, you can play all the numbers games in the world. Before Brexit you were saying JIT would crash and burn and that the big automotive players would leave. None of which has come to pass. Now you're even saying JIT would never collapse due to Brexit, a 180 degree about turn.

The fact is that the U.K. is still the 5th biggest economy in the world and France has slipped to 7th. Now there is a Brexit bonus.
Give it a chance, the UK didn't impose any import checks, as it should have, when it left a yr ago. Why ? simple really, it hadn't done ANY preparation and it knew the damage that would cause. The pandemic was a convenient mask for Johnson, but the mood seems to be changing and Johnson's antics are starting to be called out within his own ranks.
I never said there would be a cliff fall, that was the leavers straw man, spout lies and then say it didn't happen. I've always said death by a thousand cuts. Or as Rees Mogg put it, people will see the benefits in 50yrs. But nobody asked him what people, its looking like the wealthy tory donors and friends are the one's he was talking about, I doubt it's the ordinary person on the street that will see the "benefits"

GerryT

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on December 30, 2021, 12:00:39 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1542733/brexit-london-stock-exchange-europe-record-fundraising

Union Flag Union Flag Union Flag

Gerry Butt Kick
Humm, I thought 1 Trillion left London and many jobs. Funny how an express article can spin things. Like how the UK economy is performing better than any in Europe :)

Nick

Quote from: Javert on January 01, 2022, 02:15:12 PM
Bottom  line is that the average person in the UK is poorer than they were before the Brexit vote, and I've yet to see any sign that this will change anytime soon
Are you saying the fall happened at the point of the vote? Don't be ridiculous.

You may have had done truck if you had said left EU but even that wouldn't wash cause Covid obliterated everything and Brexit didn't leave a blip.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Baff on January 01, 2022, 06:17:48 PM
LMAO.
Oh the drama.
Quoteif you can't afford food anymore

Must be why all the Turkeys we wouldn't get haven't sold :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Baff

Quote from: Javert on January 01, 2022, 02:15:12 PM

Therefore JIT has collapsed if you define JIT as having an predictable supply chain, enabling you to carry zero or negligable inventory, so actually GerryT was correct.

Where I work I am happy to report that our JIT supply chain is just fine thanks.
No difference at all.