Leave means leave: Has Boris betrayed us over fishing?

Started by HallowedBrexit, January 15, 2022, 08:28:28 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Thomas on January 21, 2022, 11:22:20 AM
always amusing when a so called irishman is obsessed about the gdp and growth of a foreign country .
Are you a so-called Scot? Am I a so-called Englishman. Is JoG a so-called Welshman. Is the Pope a so-called Catholic?
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 21, 2022, 10:59:58 AM
The UK fell the most in 2020, the start of 2021 shows an early bounce. The 2021 figures aren't released yet, but this gives a picture of where it's at.

always amusing when a so called irishman is obsessed about the gdp and growth of a foreign country .

Interesting as well the fact despite all the same arguments at the time between irish unionist and nationalists of the merits , pitfalls and economic arguments of leaving the uk , the irish chose to take the leap into the unknown and become free , yet you decry the uk for doing the same thing 100 years later with the EU?:D

Most if irelands trade was with the uk , ireland went into economic freefall after leaving , mass emigration continued especially during decades like the fifties , and despite the later propaganda espuosed by republicans about the horrors of the brit empire ( much of what was undoubtedly true) while irelands living standards was something like two thirds of the  rest of uk at the time  when it was still in the union , it was comparable also with similar nations in europe like finland norway and many others.

Still the irish chose to leave the uk , and make a go of it. Good for them.

The english have chosen similar with your beloved eu empire. Like ireland over the last 100 years , there will be pitfalls , harsh decisions and much else including good and bad along the way. The english dont care , as the irish didnt care.

As a famous scotsman once said......

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

You dont get this nationalism thing gerry. You can plant all the wee flags in your avatar all you like , everytime you put finger to keyboard you confirm to me your ignorance and inability to understand the strength of feeling to ones country.

...but thats becasue you are a globalist champagne internationalist and citizen of nowhere....

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2022, 10:33:19 PM
There was an agreement signed on 22nd Dec with the EU so those teething problems are resolved.

https://ec.europa.eu/oceans-and-fisheries/document/download/b0208664-25ff-4d40-9966-0441ab343bf6_en
All that shows is the UK trading it's fishing grounds to get access to EU fishing grounds. That's what you do when you take back control. This was the intent of the new trade agreement, there will be constant reviews and tweaking, no news here. 
This has zero to do with the issues of Brexit, customs checks, paperwork, delays, compliance with regulations.... You seem to think Brexit is now about business going to the wall, let only the strong survive. There was a man in the 30's that had that idea, that didn't go so well.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2022, 12:59:04 PMWhy do you keep talking percentage? I'm quoting actual figures, and the figures show we have recovered. Either accept that or prove me wrong.
Your post 105 shows percentages, how else would you measure Growth ? your GDP moves from X to Y, that is best represented by a % shift rather than a gross shift, that way you can compare the growth. Comparing actual figures you learn nothing. The UK fell the most in 2020, the start of 2021 shows an early bounce. The 2021 figures aren't released yet, but this gives a picture of where it's at.

https://fullfact.org/economy/january-2022-gdp-growth-g7/

From the article:
The latest data shows that the UK's economy grew the most over the past year, looking at the change between the third quarter of 2020 and the third quarter of 2021 (data for the fourth quarter of 2021 is not yet available).

However, the UK's growth was fifth when comparing the second and third quarters of 2021.

Looks like the liar Johnson is up to his usual bul#shit. What's new.

The Prime Minister has regularly made the claim at PMQs in recent weeks

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2022, 10:33:19 PM
There was an agreement signed on 22nd Dec with the EU so those teething problems are resolved.

https://ec.europa.eu/oceans-and-fisheries/document/download/b0208664-25ff-4d40-9966-0441ab343bf6_en
Nick your reference has precisely zero to do with the problems involved with importing goods to and from the EU.
They are not resolved at all due to the extra costs involved and the massive amount of paperwork making it uneconomic for small traders. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 20, 2022, 07:42:44 PM
George Useless stated the problems with fresh fish, live shellfish and bivalve molluscs were only "teething problems." Those "teething problems," still have not been addressed or showing any signs of being addressed.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 20, 2022, 07:29:50 PM
I suppose that the government did not realise that it takes Pappy 5 years to read his emails.:):)

That is a lie. (For start I don't keep emails for five days let alone five years.)

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2022, 07:15:44 PM
Like your article clearly states "teething problems". If a business can't navigate teething problems they deserve to go to the wall.
George Useless stated the problems with fresh fish, live shellfish and bivalve molluscs were only "teething problems." Those "teething problems," still have not been addressed or showing any signs of being addressed.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2022, 06:51:07 PM
That's not true. I get 5 emails a day about the changes and what to do. And I have been getting them for years.
So where's your examples, cause as usual you give no data to validate your argument.
I suppose that the government did not realise that it takes Pappy 5 years to read his emails.:):)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 20, 2022, 07:07:56 PM
So what?  The government still has not put in place the infrastructure for the paperwork to be carried put electronically.
As per usual your personal experience  does not extrapolate to the national picture. (The new regulations from January the 1st this year have made matters even worse.)

Just one example the others are paywalled.

https://www.cityam.com/brexit-red-tape-may-make-uk-businesses-simply-give-up-on-eu-imports-not-worth-the-hassle-as-strict-new-rules-come-into-force/
Like your article clearly states "teething problems". If a business can't navigate teething problems they deserve to go to the wall. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2022, 06:51:07 PM
That's not true. I get 5 emails a day about the changes and what to do. 
So what?  The government still has not put in place the infrastructure for the paperwork to be carried put electronically.
As per usual your personal experience  does not extrapolate to the national picture. (The new regulations from January the 1st this year have made matters even worse.)

Just one example the others are paywalled.

https://www.cityam.com/brexit-red-tape-may-make-uk-businesses-simply-give-up-on-eu-imports-not-worth-the-hassle-as-strict-new-rules-come-into-force/

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 20, 2022, 06:36:04 PM
Nick that just won't work as a argument. It is the government that has not put the necessary IT infrastructure in place that the small businesses need.
That's not true. I get 5 emails a day about the changes and what to do. And I have been getting them for years. 
So where's your examples, cause as usual you give no data to validate your argument. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2022, 06:19:42 PM
The businesses that are failing obviously haven't prepared or sourced alternative customers. They only had 5 years to prepare!!
Nick that just won't work as a argument. It is the government that has not put the necessary IT infrastructure in place that the small businesses need.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 20, 2022, 04:53:19 PM
Nick  there was this on BBC 24 this morning, Parliamentary business - UK Parliament  Oral questions
International Trade (including Topical Questions)
9:30am

It painted a very different picture to your perception. Brexit is causing a lot of problems for small business.
The businesses that are failing obviously haven't prepared or sourced alternative customers. They only had 5 years to prepare!!

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 20, 2022, 05:02:12 PM
And with the Euro falling against the pound, I imagine that a lot of those small businesses are in Europe
It is specifically about the ongoing problems small British business is being caused by Brexit. (It will be in Hansard tomorrow.)