EU report claims Brits 'didn't know what they were doing' when voting for Brexit

Started by Thomas, February 18, 2022, 11:25:59 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

So was work on those promised easily-installed customs checks that would regain control and sovereignty over our borders ever begun?

Or was everything trundled over to the export side of the port to make life more difficult for local producers who wanted to continue their relationships with customers in the EU?

All seems an expensive mess to achieve a worse situation that we were in before.

On the plus side though, I've now got some European border stamps in my passport...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

"On a visit to the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone, hi-vis gilet over his double-breasted suit, Rees-Mogg announced that the government was delaying yet again the imposition of post-Brexit border checks on imports from the EU. He asked the public to celebrate this decision, on the grounds that it would save £1bn a year and help hard-pressed consumers by avoiding an increase in the cost of imported food. Enforcing post-Brexit checks, said the minister, "would have been an act of self-harm"."

Makes sense, which is more than the Guardian does.

The government wants to keep the cost of food imports down, which has been something Rees Mogg has long advocated as one of the pluses of Brexit.

Anyone who wants to pay a billion extra for their dinner and can't do that via import taxes is welcome to send the money they have saved direct to the Treasury
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on April 29, 2022, 11:40:05 PM
Well Jacob Rees-Mogg has just rubbished Brexit, Ratner style . . . Who would have thought!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/29/jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-disaster-leaving-eu-boris-johnson
How many times does it have to be said that the Tories are remainers . They always were and remain so . If JRM was as this article suggests an 'arch leaver and long time loather of the EU' he would have quit the party that has always supported our membership and joined Reckless and Carswell at UKIP .  

He was never that much of a leaver to make that move so feck him , another  slimball tory that does whats best for him . He has probably seen his personal wealth take a dip and gone into a panic 

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on March 20, 2022, 10:13:53 AM
That was mildly funny but incorrect,anyway you missed out why anyone votes libdem,go on give us a laugh. ;)
quackers stays at home a lot , doesnt have many friends , and when he does go out , spends most of his day gardening.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on March 20, 2022, 09:52:20 AM
I think a lot of people 'don't know what they're doing' when they vote in any election. They vote Tory because they always have, they vote Labour because they always have, they vote SNP to stop English people culturally appropriating the word "outwith" and they voted for Brexit because they don't want to be forced to buy square tomatoes.
That was mildly funny but incorrect,anyway you missed out why anyone votes libdem,go on give us a laugh. ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HDQQ

I think a lot of people 'don't know what they're doing' when they vote in any election. They vote Tory because they always have, they vote Labour because they always have, they vote SNP to stop English people culturally appropriating the word "outwith" and they voted for Brexit because they don't want to be forced to buy square tomatoes.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on February 24, 2022, 11:32:06 AM
Thought you'd like that :)
im no one to look a gift horse in the mouth....:D . Brexit has been fackin brilliant.

Thomas

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on February 23, 2022, 11:51:55 PM
"You have control under the EU, you just choose to leave" and then you have control!! You really have no idea of what you do or say.
Exactly,  if your doing A and the decide to do B and nothing stops you, then you're in control. Not that hard a concept. The UK decided to join, in fact asked a number of times after the application was refused. Then you shaped the EU, pushing for this rule or that rule. Then you decide you want to go it alone, hey presto your out doing your own thing.  That's called being in control.
What you don't have anymore is control over others and what they do, is that what you mean ?

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on February 23, 2022, 08:06:16 PM
That's not how I took it up, he needs to be more specific when saying cobblers !

This is what I said I said people believed the bus, that the UK was a waste of 350m a week - do you disagree
I said that lie helped the levae side to win - do you disagree

I never siad people voted just because of the bus.
I never claimed the key was what was said on the bus, I said it helped the leave side
I never said anyone was an Idiot or a pleb - classic Thomas strawman tactic
I'm not screaming - another strawman, it's also very passive aggressive.

Seems to me like the EU are in up to their necks and blaming Brexit is the last defence of the scoundrel. Don't look over here look over there. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on February 23, 2022, 07:52:55 PM
I tell you what though gerry , i have to hand it to you you have changed my mind. I have went from a lukewarm remainer , to brexiter , having listened to your incessant drivel and endless screaming about how democracy went against you . Thank fack the uk is out the eu.

Gerry's comrades in rant have changed my mind too.

I was watching the TV interviews when as the polls closed Farage said he felt the Leave Campaigners had done their best but in the end it appeared to him from his opinion polling that the other side had won the day.

I have absolutely no doubt that had the vote been 52 to 48 the other way, that would have been that.

But the antics of those that would not accept the will of the 52% changed me forever.

I think the Road To Damascus moment came when Theresa May stood before the Welsh Assembly to be mocked and derided, and then viciously shout d down when she pointed out the biggest critics of the 52% were themselves handed power by a pathetic 50.9 to 49.1 majority on a barely 50% turnout so this shoes well the extent of rabid hypocrisy.

Yes the antics of the Remain campaign after the result changed me forever. I used to think they had the right to put forward an argument to remain.

Today I consider them the infidel.

I am the ISIL of the Leave movement.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 23, 2022, 07:03:26 PM
You said self determination. You did, you either take the EU rule (which you make) or you leave and do something else. You did that, you decide. No body stopping you, self determination.
Yea, we should burn them. Funny enough when you were a EU member and they went to the UK you could have sent them back to where they came from, usually France. Now that your out you can't, France can just turn a blind eye and let them through. Just keep sending France money and they might keep patrolling their side to stop immigrants crossing to the UK.
"You have control under the EU, you just choose to leave" and then you have control!! You really have no idea of what you do or say. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on February 23, 2022, 07:50:42 PM
Whats the link got to do with cromwell said that he didnt know anyone who voted to leave off the back of what was said on a bus?

You claimed the key was what was said on the bus was a lie but us idiotic plebs believed it ( we didnt) and cromwell rubbished it by saying cobblers , and in reply you start quoting him a full fact link on membership fee?:D

Gerry you are too busy screaming you arent even picking up the nuance of the debate , or what is being said to you.
That's not how I took it up, he needs to be more specific when saying cobblers !

This is what I said
Quote from: GerryT on February 22, 2022, 09:25:55 PMThat is all waffle, the key is the bus was a lie, people believed it and saw the EU as a waste of 350m a week, that lie helped the leave side to win. Everyone knows this, no point in trying to defend it
 I said people believed the bus, that the UK was a waste of 350m a week - do you disagree
I said that lie helped the levae side to win - do you disagree

I never siad people voted just because of the bus.
I never claimed the key was what was said on the bus, I said it helped the leave side
I never said anyone was an Idiot or a pleb - classic Thomas strawman tactic
I'm not screaming - another strawman, it's also very passive aggressive.