What is really happening in the Ukraine Conflict?

Started by Sampanviking, March 18, 2022, 01:00:53 AM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Scott777 on September 03, 2024, 09:50:40 AM
Is Russia really being imperialist?  The way I see it, Russia was under threat from Ukraine becoming a NATO and EU member, so he is trying to remove that imperialist threat, by neutralising Ukraine.  He would not attack a NATO country, so is he really expanding his empire?
So you think he was justified in attacking Ukraine because you think Ukraine was about to attack Russia?

Given the relative sizes of the two armies and the fact attack tends to require 3x the defenders, especially against a prepared line.  If Russia genuinely thought Ukraine was about to invade wouldn't the best solution be to dig in hard, move forces to defensive lines along the border. Mine the F@@@ out of it and wait for the Ukrainian army to smash itself to bits against your superior forces?  That would minimise your casualties, remove the risk of accidentally starting a war and maximise foreign support. 

The last thing you would do is launch an invasion as you lose all your advantages.  Unless, of course, the whole point is to invade.

Ukraine in 2022 was a far weaker army than Russia. If the plan was NATO was going to invade Russia then why hasn't NATO invaded Russia? NATO forces seem to have done everything they can to stay out despite ample pretext (eg air space incursions and even stray munitions) 

patman post

Quote from: Scott777 on September 03, 2024, 03:51:58 PM
You're so clever, you forgot that he already is the supreme leader of a wide empire.  It's looks pretty wide to me.  And you say I'm the one posting rubbish.  🤣

It seems that the dismantling of the USSR (at its height covering over 22,402,200 square kilometres) and the resulting freedom of individual nations, pissed off Putin.

The current Russian Federation now covers a lesser area of only 17,098,200 square kilometres. So Putin is trying to "rectify" matters — initially by currently occupying five territories in three nearby sovereign countries.

No wonder Nato's attracting new members...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 03, 2024, 10:50:33 AM
A reminder of Putin's wish to be supreme leader of a wide empire. 

Article by Vladimir Putin "On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians"

You're so clever, you forgot that he already is the supreme leader of a wide empire.  It's looks pretty wide to me.  And you say I'm the one posting rubbish.  🤣

Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

cromwell

Quote from: Scott777 on September 03, 2024, 09:40:33 AM
Yes.  Why?
Because in post #1552 you asked this 
ermm I didn't look at the date lol

Quote100% you said Ukraine started the whole thing off by removing a pro-Russian president (Yanukovych), that was the aggressive move. I'm on holiday at the moment in India and only have my phone and iPad which makes it harder to search. If someone would kindly quote the post where Scott states Ukraine was the aggressor because they removed their president, sorry, the CIA removed the president  I would appreciate it. 🙏 

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Unlucky4Sum

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on September 03, 2024, 09:45:01 AM
Yeah, I bet you don't call that a conspiracy theory, but of course the CIA removing a Ukrainian president and Zelensky being a puppet, those defo are.  Right?  And let's not mention who blew up Nord Stream II.  😉
I see you're still posting rubbish Scotty.  If one of the grown ups here backs you I'll shred it but otherwise can't be arsed getting drawn into arguing with idiocy.

Scott777

Quote from: Borg Refinery on September 02, 2024, 11:06:42 PM
The plan by Russia and Putin was to encircle and take Kyiv within about a week or less, I remember reading they expected it to be over within 2 weeks IIRC.

The Russian TV pundits and many others like Lukashenko - among others - said something like "3-4" days like it says in the title of that video "Maksimum Tri-Chetyyre Dnya" - 3-4 days

The fact is that Western support has kept Ukraine going and now that Trump may get back in, that is all threatened and that is bad for the West and for the world in general.

Imperialists should never win

Is Russia really being imperialist?  The way I see it, Russia was under threat from Ukraine becoming a NATO and EU member, so he is trying to remove that imperialist threat, by neutralising Ukraine.  He would not attack a NATO country, so is he really expanding his empire?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 02, 2024, 10:38:32 PM
I believe Putin got his tame puppet Lukashenko 

Yeah, I bet you don't call that a conspiracy theory, but of course the CIA removing a Ukrainian president and Zelensky being a puppet, those defo are.  Right?  And let's not mention who blew up Nord Stream II.  😉

Scott777

Borg Refinery

I read Zelenskyy has replaced the head of the airforce after the F16 crash, guessing there was some hint of incompetence there but haven't seen much more detail about t
+++

Borg Refinery

The plan by Russia and Putin was to encircle and take Kyiv within about a week or less, I remember reading they expected it to be over within 2 weeks IIRC.

The Russian TV pundits and many others like Lukashenko - among others - said something like "3-4" days like it says in the title of that video "Maksimum Tri-Chetyyre Dnya" - 3-4 days

The fact is that Western support has kept Ukraine going and now that Trump may get back in, that is all threatened and that is bad for the West and for the world in general.

Imperialists should never win

+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 02, 2024, 09:18:52 PM
And your opening lines are just the case in point.
Can you find footage on one Russian leader in early 2022 saying they would win in three days? No I am sure you cant, as none did .  .
I believe Putin got his tame puppet Lukashenko head of the Belarus regime to say for it for him.  It's said to be in this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9jgyJskGE&t=2s but I can't translate it.

This account alleges it with exact quoted text https://ukrainetoday.org/lukashenka-spoke-about-the-war-with-ukraine-it-would-last-maximum-3-4-days/ 

cromwell

Quote from: Scott777 on August 16, 2024, 04:00:18 PM
No, Ukraine did not remove it's own president.  The CIA did.  No, it's wasn't an 'excuse' for invasion.  We aren't talking about excuses.  There is also no excuse for Ukraine to invade Russia.
Did you mean this post @ Nick
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Scott777

Quote from: Borg Refinery on September 02, 2024, 09:19:30 PM
We all hope Putin loses (maybe with the exception of Scott), 

Loses what?  I think Ukraine should be neutral, which means no NATO or EU.  Russia should stop expanding, and NATO should stop expanding.

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 02, 2024, 08:54:36 PM
F@@@ me mate, you really have been drinking the Russian Koolade.

Are there people in Ukraine who think the NAZIs were great? Yes. Just like there are in thr UK and France and America and Russia

Answer this simply.

Do you believe Russia was justified in attacking Ukraine in self defense?

Brilliant, the way you try to change the subject.  I mentioned 4 bits of evidence of his support for Nazism, and you just want to discuss "justification"?  F@@@ me, you are one slippery sod.