IMF Warning!

Started by B0ycey, September 28, 2022, 09:42:26 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on October 12, 2022, 08:59:12 PM
They regard it as fair game to charge rip off prices for food and drink 
Not many hospitality and tourist business are Cornish owned. (They are the sharks who charge £12-£18 for a crab sandwich, and a fortune a week to rent a holiday let or caravan.)
I live in Cornwall, but I could not afford to holiday here. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on October 12, 2022, 07:59:55 PMTo be honest, Cornwall is not a bad place and I like the biscuits, but it is a bit twee.
When it comes to Cornwall, I live right next to it and commute into it to work and often spend leisure time in the summer on Cornish beaches, many of the best ones being within an hour's drive.

Cornwall is a lovely place to live if you can afford the house prices and don't need to earn a living, because housing costs are high and wage levels are pitiful.

The Cornish themselves - at least many of the ones in the more touristy areas - are almost schizophrenic in their attitude to outsiders, welcoming them so they can make money out of them yet also on some level resenting their presence at the same time. They regard it as fair game to charge rip off prices for food and drink and any old cheap touristy tat, like mugs or dishcloths with a map of Cornwall on them. Yet behind the backs of those tourists they are ripping off, the tourists themselves are derisively referred to as "emmets." Which is I believe a type of swarming ant, lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on October 12, 2022, 08:10:28 PM
Why would I be worried.

However what you did intend to do was try and wind up Smurf,you campaigned for his return and complain of people being driven away and as soon as he returns what do you do try to drive him away.

It is for the good of his soul. Pappy has spent a lifetime telling everyone that he is the only one in step, so I like to give him the occasional kick in the balls by way of reminding him that he is actually on planet Earth. Plus, this board is getting short on members. So how about offering Tommy a pardon so that we can tell him to F@@@ off for betraying the king? Bear in mind that poor old Liuz Truss won't last much longer and all we will have to look forward to is Indy2, so we need some input from north of the border.

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on October 12, 2022, 07:59:55 PM
Don't worry on it Ollie. I did not really mean to go down to Cornwall and buy up the property of Pappy's neighbours who had died of want. To be honest, Cornwall is not a bad place and I like the biscuits, but it is a bit twee.
Why would I be worried.

However what you did intend to do was try and wind up Smurf,you campaigned for his return and complain of people being driven away and as soon as he returns what do you do try to drive him away.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Don't worry on it Ollie. I did not really mean to go down to Cornwall and buy up the property of Pappy's neighbours who had died of want. To be honest, Cornwall is not a bad place and I like the biscuits, but it is a bit twee.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on October 12, 2022, 02:28:34 PM
Why you planting soft necked? Not as hardy and big as the hard necked variety.

Apparently they are, although my allotment is in London so the climate is fairly mild anyway. But mostly because I like planting stuff and apart from broad beans, there is not a lot I can plant at this time of year.

My plan is to live on stir fried broad beans and garlic and with the money saved go down to Cornwall and buy up the property.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on October 12, 2022, 01:57:21 PM
Folk who won't pay their bills probably won't vote Tory anyway, so they don't count.

Still, we do live in interesting times.

I am off to plant some soft necked Carcassonne garlic. The way things are going we will probably get a plague of vampires next summer.
Why you planting soft necked? Not as hardy and big as the hard necked variety. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on October 12, 2022, 02:11:05 PM
Folk who won't pay their bills probably are Tory.
Some of them will be. To assume that no tenants ever vote Tory and that therefore they don't matter would be a rather reckless and stupid assumption for the Tories to make.

Also Borkie seems to be labouring under the delusion that no fault evictions occur because tenants have not paid the rent. This is logically risible since the clue is in the name. NO FAULT evictions. Eg, people who have done nothing wrong, including not defaulting on their rents.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 12, 2022, 01:57:21 PM
Folk who won't pay their bills probably won't vote Tory anyway, so they don't count.
Folk who won't pay their bills probably are Tory.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on October 12, 2022, 01:06:18 PM
The Tories seem to be doing all they can to drive voters away, betraying millions of tenants now.

Still, we do live in interesting times.

I am off to plant some soft necked Carcassonne garlic. The way things are going we will probably get a plague of vampires next summer.
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on October 12, 2022, 12:10:11 PM
Three such cases locally to me. (There may be more.)
The Tories seem to be doing all they can to drive voters away, betraying millions of tenants now.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on October 12, 2022, 12:03:06 PM

I do hope they can explain how continuing to allow workers to be thrown onto the street with two months' notice for no reason contributes to growth. 
Three such cases locally to me. (There may be more.)

srb7677

The latest I have heard is that Truss is planning to renege on the Tory manifesto pledge to end Section 21 no fault evictions. I always doubted delivery on this anyway from a notoriously self-serving party, 100 of whose MPs are landlords.

I do hope they can explain how continuing to allow workers to be thrown onto the street with two months' notice for no reason contributes to growth. Isn't it obvious that it does the exact opposite?

cromwell

Eggs in one basket economy,the financial sector and London which doesn't just keep burning our fingers but third degree.

When I say one basket apparently the health of the economy also relies on houses prices,whats sort of economy is that?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: B0ycey on October 11, 2022, 05:17:22 PM
Actually Barry, that growth is this year before Trussonomics kicks in. Next year it is predicted to be 0.3% with us only ahead of Italy and Germany. And inflation is suppose to be worse in the UK than the rest of the G7 as well. Given that, if people aren't spending as they have to prioritise their money, it will be interesting to see whether we can even achieve any growth. My prediction next year... recession.
The latest figures show that the economy has shrunk in the most recent month that encompasses the budget.

So that dash for growth seems to be going well then, lol

Dash for recession more like.