Irish election

Started by T00ts, February 07, 2020, 11:37:01 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=16435 time=1581667778 user_id=53
All well and good posty and I would agree that there  will be a move toward a united Ireland from the south and a good chunk of the north sometime in the future . That doesn't change the fact though that it is the North the will instigate a united Ireland referendum not a condition of any coalition government in the republic .

I don't disagree the the North will have to agree to any reunification referendum. But with a majority in the South now favouring  it, combined with the North's loyalists realising the Johnson government is ready to change their status, I would not be surprised to see full reunification within the next 20 years...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

Quote from: Borchester post_id=17247 time=1582422392 user_id=62
Oh Christ, another Mick with a chip on his shoulder. Still, I suppose they have to do something with all those spuds

I don't think this comment is meant to do anything other than insult, which is a shame, do better.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=17243 time=1582416561 user_id=99
Is this considered acceptable language on this forum? It certainly seems to of gone unchallenged.

Oh Christ, another Mick with a chip on his shoulder. Still, I suppose they have to do something with all those spuds
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

Quote from: Borchester post_id=16004 time=1581343832 user_id=62They Micks seem keen enough on a vote for reunification, but I doubt that it is going much of a look in once the Fenians get a sniff of real power and start having to deliver on their other promises.

Is this considered acceptable language on this forum? It certainly seems to of gone unchallenged.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

An Irish friend made an interesting point which for all I know might even be true. Until quite recently the social services in ROI were run by the Church which although it was in the habit of abusing orphans and unmarried mums, was at least cheap. Now the state is having to provide back up, any Sinn Fein coalition will demand wage increases and the probable lose of revenue from the business sector as the price of their support and one way and I reckon that the next Irish administration will huff and puff but will be too busy keeping the ship afloat to worry on about unification.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=16435 time=1581667778 user_id=53
All well and good posty and I would agree that there  will be a move toward a united Ireland from the south and a good chunk of the north sometime in the future . That doesn't change the fact though that it is the North the will instigate a united Ireland referendum not a condition of any coalition government in the republic .

:hattip
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=16358 time=1581601359 user_id=70
You might think so. But there are already six formal cross boarder governmental North/South implementation bodies (which even ran satisfactorily while the NI government was suspended). There are also six all-Ireland implementation bodies covering: waterways, food safety, development and funding plans (probably under review due to Brexit), Irish and Scots language promotion, whole of Ireland trade, and maritime coastal navigating aid bodies.

The six formal cross boarder areas of responsibility, where co-operation must be agreed together, are: agriculture, education, environment, tourism, and transport.

As separate trading arrangements from the UK mainland are now Brexit policy, can you really see a majority in the North wanting to maintain the fiction of being part of the UK...?

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=16298 time=1581541922 user_id=53
Why ?  It will be the decision of the North of when and if there is a united Ireland . Eire cant just hold a referendum without the Norths consent

You might think so. But there are already six formal cross boarder governmental North/South implementation bodies (which even ran satisfactorily while the NI government was suspended). There are also six all-Ireland implementation bodies covering: waterways, food safety, development and funding plans (probably under review due to Brexit), Irish and Scots language promotion, whole of Ireland trade, and maritime coastal navigating aid bodies.

The six formal cross boarder areas of responsibility, where co-operation must be agreed together, are: agriculture, education, environment, tourism, and transport.

As separate trading arrangements from the UK mainland are now Brexit policy, can you really see a majority in the North wanting to maintain the fiction of being part of the UK...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=16283 time=1581532954 user_id=70
 Though I still think a referendum on a United Ireland will eventually be a requirement for any coalition to take power...

Why ?  It will be the decision of the North of when and if there is a united Ireland . Eire cant just hold a referendum without the Norths consent

Conchúr

Quote from: cromwell post_id=16289 time=1581535753 user_id=48
You mean they're still living in the past

Absolutely — a lot of them are.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=16289 time=1581535753 user_id=48

:lol:  :lol:

cromwell

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=16288 time=1581535043 user_id=83
The government remains in place until the next government is formed.  Certainly, the limbo is not helpful, though it is necessary and continuity of government is maintained until a new Taoiseach is nominated and a new coalition formed.  

If Mary Lou McDonald was to become Taoiseach, well, bear in mind that many supporters of her party view Leo Varadkar as a 'west Brit' who is too sympathetic to British interests.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Conchúr

Quote from: T00ts post_id=16275 time=1581529634 user_id=54
I see Varadkar has conceded and is prepared to stand back and let Sinn Fein try to form a government. I can see Ireland without a government for months. Not a good time for a lack of direction until they sort something out.

The government remains in place until the next government is formed.  Certainly, the limbo is not helpful, though it is necessary and continuity of government is maintained until a new Taoiseach is nominated and a new coalition formed.  

If Mary Lou McDonald was to become Taoiseach, well, bear in mind that many supporters of her party view Leo Varadkar as a 'west Brit' who is too sympathetic to British interests.

patman post

Belgium ran for months without a government. Ireland could probably do the same. Though I still think a referendum on a United Ireland will eventually be a requirement for any coalition to take power...

T00ts

I see Varadkar has conceded and is prepared to stand back and let Sinn Fein try to form a government. I can see Ireland without a government for months. Not a good time for a lack of direction until they sort something out.