But you admit you were wrong?

Don't say that.

I have a bad heart.

Pappy is never wrong. If you don't believe me just ask him
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 01, 2023, 04:10:05 PM
About what? Are you on some kind of drugs?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 02:52:04 PM
Graphene is also currently very expensive.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 02:52:04 PM
So was a Casio calculator when they first came out. Means nothing as you're talking £15K for an EV battery pack anyway. 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 01, 2023, 02:07:03 PM
There are graphene batteries already available — but reading the reviews, it seems they're most likely graphene "enhanced" lithium-ion batteries using silicon anodes in place of carbon — but I admit I could be misunderstanding what I'm reading...

patman post

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 01, 2023, 01:27:06 PM
Interesting but after a little googling it seems it's way off being commercially viable
There are graphene batteries already available — but reading the reviews, it seems they're most likely graphene "enhanced" lithium-ion batteries using silicon anodes in place of carbon — but I admit I could be misunderstanding what I'm reading...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 01, 2023, 01:40:26 PM
No one is walking around with a cold fusion mobile phone, so no it's nothing like.
My mobile phone is an old Nokia 3310 I "wombled" out of a skip. (I just got a new charging lead for it.) As for cold fusion that is one of the biggest hoaxes in scientific history.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 01:31:57 PM
It is a bit like nuclear fusion, I had a guided tour of the establishment researching  it near Oxford back in the late 1960's.
No one is walking around with a cold fusion mobile phone, so no it's nothing like. 

Nick

Interesting but after a little googling it seems it's way off being commercially viable
It's already in commercial use in phones, and it isn't too far off for EV's. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 12:48:30 PM
Nick, It is case of what is currently available for mass production, as cheap as possible, and safe(ish) Nothing to do with a lack of knowledge of alternatives.
No, it's to do with the fact that you categorically stated you can't make EV batteries without Lithium, I can quote you if you can't remember. Or perhaps you can admit you're wrong. 

papasmurf

It is a bit like nuclear fusion, I had a guided tour of the establishment researching  it near Oxford back in the late 1960's.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on June 01, 2023, 12:40:03 PM
Graphene charges 60 times faster, is lighter, more powerful, more stable, but you can't tell the old dinosaurs stuck in the dark ages.
Interesting but after a little googling it seems it's way off being commercially viable

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 01, 2023, 12:49:22 PM
Your phone and/or laptop battery and e-scooter (OK, I know the last example is unlikely) are currently fitted with lithium batteries. That's why cheapo versions should be avoided. Do you keep your devices near a bucket of water overnight?

Water is not very effective putting out a lithium battery fire. (Probably make it worse.) It needs an L2 extinguisher. (Although as yet there is no official standard for lithium fires) Cheapest around £40. I always replace Lithium batteries outside. Never in the house.
My small 125CC motorcycle has been retrofitted at great expense with a Lithium Ion battery plus the required charger. (The original spec battery was not man enough to power all the bells and whistles on the bike when it stood idle for any length of time. (Known problem.)

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on June 01, 2023, 11:13:19 AM
Frankly Lithium batteries are scary when it come to being a fire hazard. (I would not want to be in the fire brigade.) Some of the other alternatives would be like driving around sat on a large incendiary bomb.
Your phone and/or laptop battery and e-scooter (OK, I know the last example is unlikely) are currently fitted with lithium batteries. That's why cheapo versions should be avoided. Do you keep your devices near a bucket of water overnight?

Other materials also have their dangers, but experience of lithium-ion technology will help devise more secure power storage...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 01, 2023, 12:40:03 PM
Graphene charges 60 times faster, is lighter, more powerful, more stable, but you can't tell the old dinosaurs stuck in the dark ages.
Nick, It is case of what is currently available for mass production, as cheap as possible, and safe(ish) Nothing to do with a lack of knowledge of alternatives.