GE 2024

Started by Nick, September 01, 2023, 06:31:35 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 11:47:48 AM
The thing is, New Labour did that with the DWP too; 
They did not have the hostile environment towards claimants that the Tories had/have. I stopped counting the dead after Iain Duncan Smith reached 118000 during his time at the DWP. The link I posted is just a sample from that website. Frankly I would like to every Tory DWP minister since 2010 charged with manslaughter as well as the DWP contractors and some of the doctors employed by them. (I am NOT alone in this by the way.) 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

The thing is, New Labour did that with the DWP too; they got a lot stricter with the regime and many people suffered as a result. And prior to that, in the early 1990s, Tories were happy to shunt people onto Incap Benefit to massage the out of work figures and make it look like official unemployment figures were lower than they were; the new Tories are just correcting for that error by going too far in the opposite direction and making people unnecessarily suffer

This is an example from Mar 2010 of New Labour doing the same things:

QuoteFlawed benefit system classifies terminally ill man 'fit for work' This article is more than 14 years old Seriously ill people are being registered 'ready to work' and having their benefits cut because of poorly-devised assessment, Citizens Advice report finds

Not sure the DWP will be any better under Labour going on all the evidence I've seen
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 01:06:03 AM

Guess the betting scandal now engulfing Labour too - and their other scandals - are taking effect
The big scandal of the last 14 years is being ignored by all. The DWP shredding the evidence is a pointless exercise, it was all downloaded by numerous people myself included before the DWP got scared.

Just a sample:- DWP staff fail in two-fifths of cases to meet new standards aimed at stopping deaths – Disability News Service

Borg Refinery

Labour support has dropped by 4% since May 31st, Reform UK support increased by 5%, Tory support dropped by 3%

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/united-kingdom/

Guess the betting scandal now engulfing Labour too - and their other scandals - are taking effect
+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 25, 2024, 10:31:59 AM
I am voting tactically to keep a tory out. (You have made some VERY rash generalisations., the closest in my opinion to reality being the Tory one, to which I would add very ill informed about the damage the Tories have done.)
You must have missed the word perceived . But yes a tongue in cheek generalisation of why NOT to put a sign up in your window .

never mind , moving on ........like your good self I can see the damage the tories have done .To be fair they have been dealt a tough hand especially with the Chinese pox and the Ruskies kicking off . That's not to say they couldn't have done better especially with brexit  but hindsight is something we don't have .
Even so the damage that Labour are going to do will make what the tories have done look like the golden era . Which leaves us with no other option than to vote Reform ;) 

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 25, 2024, 09:04:29 PM
Why put up posters in your window?
I won't, I just vote silently, it's better for the windows.
Only a few elections ago there would be party political posters festooning the roadside, houses and plastered all over the place. Now there are not.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2024, 07:19:35 PM
Still not much visible sign of a general election. My wife and I rode 216 miles from our home in Cornwall  to 10 miles North of Amesbury last week end. A few Lib/Dem posters and one Tory.
Why put up posters in your window?
I won't, I just vote silently, it's better for the windows.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 25, 2024, 09:57:54 AM
I think thats down to how the political parties are perceived these days .Whatever party people are going to vote for there are certain reservations and maybe some toxicity that goes with it  so people are keeping it to themselves rather than get a brick through the window .

Conservative .. You have to be selfish ,rich or retired  if you want another 5 years of these .
Labour ...........You are a lazy fecker , probably work in the public sector or are on benefits .
Lib Dems.........Nosey parker central , curtain twitcher and member of the residents association
Greens ...........You are a member of CND and can be found sitting in the middle of the road protesting against the 21st century
Reform ...........Far right nutter that will ban all immigrants (racist ) and put British people first (nazi)
SNP.................Your good at playing bagpipes at football matches and wearing big coats in July

Some pick eh ?
I am voting tactically to keep a tory out. (You have made some VERY rash generalisations., the closest in my opinion to reality being the Tory one, to which I would add very ill informed about the damage the Tories have done.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2024, 07:19:35 PM
Still not much visible sign of a general election. My wife and I rode 216 miles from our home in Cornwall  to 10 miles North of Amesbury last week end. A few Lib/Dem posters and one Tory.
I think thats down to how the political parties are perceived these days .Whatever party people are going to vote for there are certain reservations and maybe some toxicity that goes with it  so people are keeping it to themselves rather than get a brick through the window .

Conservative .. You have to be selfish ,rich or retired  if you want another 5 years of these .
Labour ...........You are a lazy fecker , probably work in the public sector or are on benefits . 
Lib Dems.........Nosey parker central , curtain twitcher and member of the residents association 
Greens ...........You are a member of CND and can be found sitting in the middle of the road protesting against the 21st century 
Reform ...........Far right nutter that will ban all immigrants (racist ) and put British people first (nazi) 
SNP.................Your good at playing bagpipes at football matches and wearing big coats in July 

Some pick eh ? 

papasmurf

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 20, 2024, 09:08:04 AM
The laws in place in the U.K. are better than imposed by the EU, just more nonsense from you.
There will be NO human rights for the UK population if there is no EHCR. (It isn't nonsense, there are no proposals to replace it with a UK version.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on June 20, 2024, 07:08:22 AM
Ditch the EHCR and that is the population of Britain's human rights gone. Be careful what you wish for.
The laws in place in the U.K. are better than imposed by the EU, just more nonsense from you. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on June 20, 2024, 12:14:18 AM
The big question for me is the ECHR and whether we are going to ditch it. The 2 main parties just don't get the mood of the country: proper Brexit and total detachment from the EU.
It would take some balls for any of the main parties to ditch the ECHR not least the implications with the Good Friday agreement (yes that again) .We can still have a proper Brexit though with other legislation that ignores parts of it as we did with the illegal migration act 2023. 

I dont think we will ever have complete detachment from the EU but should rather be in control of where we are 
Quote from: papasmurf on June 20, 2024, 07:08:22 AM
Ditch the EHCR and that is the population of Britain's human rights gone. Be careful what you wish for.
We were fine before we signed up to it  ,in fact it more or less replicated British freedoms and justice that made the rest of Europe aware of the standards we would impose post the horrors of WW2 . Not sure what Human rights you think would be gone indeed British human rights acts over the last 800 years sees the UK's humans rights go above and beyond anything we imposed on Europe in 1950.

The ECHR was intended to stop the violations of rights we saw in WW2  it was never intended as get out clause for criminals or a charter to circumnavigated UK law .That its gone down that road upholding  the most spurious of cases is why many want it gone .

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 20, 2024, 12:14:18 AM
The big question for me is the ECHR and whether we are going to ditch it. The 2 main parties just don't get the mood of the country: proper Brexit and total detachment from the EU.

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 19, 2024, 11:20:59 PM
Farage on course to overturn a 20,000 conservative majority in Clacton polling at 45% (cons 25%) . Reform slightly ahead in Ashfield (Lee Anderson) ,Great Yarmouth , Louth and Basildon
Running 2nd in 127 seats with 4 possibles at this time . Not bad after just two weeks of campaigning .
The big question for me is the ECHR and whether we are going to ditch it. The 2 main parties just don't get the mood of the country: proper Brexit and total detachment from the EU. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.