A deal has been reached!!!!

Started by Cassie, October 17, 2019, 10:36:05 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1279 time=1571483485 user_id=54
They are worried that if the Letwin amendment fails the WA bill could pass today and then during the following discussions on the bill next week the ERG might decide that they prefer a no deal Brexit and start voting the bill down which would then mean the default position on 31st Oct would be to crash out. They are calling it an insurance policy.

Mark Francois gave a solemn declaration this morning in the house that the ERG will support the WA and will also support the legislation afterwards.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=1291 time=1571485730 user_id=53
The fact that Labour are so against the deal makes we want to go for it .  It will get us into another room so to speak and the backstop has been addressed ,for now ..

Its a sideways step to independence from the EU but at least its not a step backward and will go some way to kicking those who wish to delay Brexit until they stop it . These are the people we need to silence which will be achieved with the deal and leaving on the 31st .

Yes I tend to agree, somewhat reluctantly I admit. I see no other way forward.

Streetwalker

The fact that Labour are so against the deal makes we want to go for it .  It will get us into another room so to speak and the backstop has been addressed ,for now ..

Its a sideways step to independence from the EU but at least its not a step backward and will go some way to kicking those who wish to delay Brexit until they stop it . These are the people we need to silence which will be achieved with the deal and leaving on the 31st .

Cassie

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1287 time=1571485125 user_id=54
Labour are suggesting that it could happen. They are trying justify all their concerns and no vote.

:roll:  I swear, Corbyn could agree a deal, then vote against it. Oh wait, he's already going to do that.

T00ts

Quote from: Cassie post_id=1285 time=1571484847 user_id=57
Did the ERG say they would do it, or are the opposition saying they will do it?

Labour are suggesting that it could happen. They are trying justify all their concerns and no vote.

Cassie

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1283 time=1571484636 user_id=54
In the debate here now. It was a question about consequences of the different voting outcomes.  Starmer is on his feet and is tearing the deal apart almost line by line. Is it enough to make people doubt? Maybe. I can't see the outcome yet.

Did the ERG say they would do it, or are the opposition saying they will do it?

T00ts

Starmer is a real details man. He seems to be saying that the end of 2020 the deal allows a lot of deregulation and divergence from the EU. He is suggesting that the deal will allow the Government to make a different model. Clever! Do I believe him? Not sure. Of course he is ignoring the different circumstances that may be during that time including in Westminster. They are even saying no deal could happen in 2020.

I guess they have given up hope of a Labour government.

T00ts

Quote from: Cassie post_id=1281 time=1571484133 user_id=57
I don't think the Letwin amendment will fail. Where have you heard that about the ERG?

In the debate here now. It was a question about consequences of the different voting outcomes.  Starmer is on his feet and is tearing the deal apart almost line by line. Is it enough to make people doubt? Maybe. I can't see the outcome yet.

Cassie

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1279 time=1571483485 user_id=54
They are worried that if the Letwin amendment fails the WA bill could pass today and then during the following discussions on the bill next week the ERG might decide that they prefer a no deal Brexit and start voting the bill down which would then mean the default position on 31st Oct would be to crash out. They are calling it an insurance policy.

I don't think the Letwin amendment will fail. Where have you heard that about the ERG?

T00ts

Cassie

Quote from: Barry post_id=1276 time=1571481968 user_id=51
Watching BBC Parliament on the laptop and it's same s*** different day. I just expect some of the Labour leavers to either abstain or vote for the agreement. Whether they keep the Labour whip will be a bit of a moot point if there is an election on 28th November.

It would be very hypocritical if they did lose the whip after the grief and outrage, BJ received when he did it.

T00ts

Stephen Barclay has just had a go at Dominic Grieve. He was very polite with it but it was profound. Well done that man!

Barry

Watching BBC Parliament on the laptop and it's same s*** different day. I just expect some of the Labour leavers to either abstain or vote for the agreement. Whether they keep the Labour whip will be a bit of a moot point if there is an election on 28th November.
† The end is nigh †

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Javert post_id=1179 time=1571400736 user_id=64
Just to clarify my 100% comment, what I meant to imply was that most of those experts think the UK's probability of being better off long term by leaving the EU and then doing individual trade deals with each other country or block is very low.  i.e. by no being 100%, it's more like 5% if the general global situation remains as predicted.  Of course, if there is some major upheaval that no forecaster can predict, this could change, but it could also change the opposite way as well.

To me based on my understanding of the typical rules of how economies work in the long term, this is taking a huge risk with a large % of your revenue, in exchange for a gamble that other magnificent deals will offset this.

I've not seen any company or country ever do that before and stay in business.

Edit - it's kind of like smoking cigarettes knowing full well that there's a 50% chance it will kill you.  For sure you have the choice to do that, but most people don't want to.

No you would not have seen it before because this is a unique set of circumstances. What degree of confidence did these experts rank their ratings as? In science we were always told a result without error bounds is meaningless. Talking of other countries though, China was well and truly screwed over by Mao and left the country in ruin, almost penniless. From the tiny money the government then had it just went into overdrive and made the most of it, reinvesting each time and praying. The grit they had back then was what eventually turned them into the fastest growing nation. They kind of all mucked in together and supported each other rather than fight. I think that is what makes the difference. Companies have sometimes been in times like these as well. The old is not that important. What is important are your areas where you can create growth. It's upto us. If an expert tell you he can predict the future he is lying.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

GerryT

Quote from: Stevlin post_id=1229 time=1571426188 user_id=66
It is high time that you realised just  repeating your usual tripe doesn't make it factual...and let's face it , the 'evidence' is absolutely NOT favouring your claims. Maybe you could attempt to provide some credible 'evidence' for your assertions, such as maintaining economic 'experts' forecasting doom and gloom....despite those same 'experts' being proven wrong when they made similar predictions over merely holding the Brexit referendum.

I much prefer to look at 'reality' - and THAT tells us that the EU is unique...meaning that NORMALITY, is NOT being in the EU....and that covers the great majority of countries. Undoubtedly there will be an initial economic 'hit' - as the 'market' does not like the unknown.....but only about 6% of UK businesses conduct trade with the EU.....and it is clearly in the interests of the EU to maintain what is a very good export market for them.

Undoubtedly the 'hit' will be felt more by the UK, and Germany....but both countries will survive .....and as I say, it is pure nonsense to speak as if membership of a unique political entity is a necessity for allegedly promoting trade  membership.

However, that 'hit' will not be everlasting, as many nations have already lined themselves up to negotiate mutually advantageous trade deals with the UK....and time is on our side.....because trading based on  WTO rules is hardly the end of the world... in fact, one could again state that it is the NORM.. and when did NORMALITY become such a dreadful state to be in?

you do spout some nonsense. Can you list the countries looking for mutually advantageous trade deals, because there isn't a country in the world looking for that. Countries will say one thing but in the end if they can rape the UK they will, if they can gut the UK they will. It's not the happy clappy boy scouts, it's the big boys world and mutual is not a word that belongs in there