General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

QuoteJoe Biden is no stranger to Britain. He has known every prime minister since Margaret Thatcher. At least until now.

For Mr Biden has yet to meet Boris Johnson, a man he's called a "physical and emotional clone" of Donald Trump. And the two men have their differences.

Mr Biden opposes Brexit. He warned publicly last month that a UK-US trade deal was dependent on Brexit not damaging peace in Northern Ireland. Many observers believe this will mean that when President Biden seeks to repair transatlantic relationships, he may focus more of his attention on Paris and Berlin than London.

QuoteIt might be 170 years since his ancestors left, but the president-elect is fiercely proud of Irish roots.

In 2016, he said: "Being Irish, without fear of contradiction, has shaped my entire life."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2020-54786937
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

QuoteThe moment when @NickBryantNY
asked @JoeBiden
for a quick word.

He replied with a smile, "The BBC? I'm Irish."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1325146584284323841

Thomas

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 08, 2020, 07:36:04 AM
With Biden now almost certain to be the next POTUS, the question of the Irish border becomes harder to duck.

There has been a strand of thought here that if the UK gov simply ignores it's commitments about enforcing the agreed sections of the EU customs code at the NI/GH border then the Irish government will be forced to choose between putting up a border with NI or keeping it open.

Effectively a "not my problem bruv" approach.

I suspect the US will take a much harder line on this issue now, leaving the UK with a much less room to manoeuvre.

So we're back to the old, pre referendum, problem.

Where do we put the border?

Seeing as we rejected May's solution of around the entire UK it will have to be between GB and NI.

Aye it is going to be interesting to see what pressure a biden admininstration levers on the uk regarding brexit and the northern irish border.

I did wonder when someone  would bring it up on here.......its been doing the rounds on the interwebby the last few days.English remainers , irish nationalists , europeans etc etc all chucking their two pennies worth in and having a giggle.

Brexiters meanwhile seem to think the best policy is to ignore and wait the time out ....what is it 7 weeks or just over now?

Im wondering if eventually we will see a border poll to determine what happens in the 6 counties? All other scenarios are extremely problematic for the uk government , and although the british wont like losing this old toy they never play with but dont want anyone else to have , if northern ireland is allowd to stay in the eu , then i would imgaine its a scenario that the snp fervently hopes will happen as it demolishes the argument it was a uk vote so the whole uk must leave.

If the tories try and stitchh up the english brexiter , meanwhile , they know they are in deep trouble at the next election. No one will trust them over brexit ever again , and i doubt there will be any second chances.

Rock and a hard place it seems.

BeElBeeBub

With Biden now almost certain to be the next POTUS, the question of the Irish border becomes harder to duck.

There has been a strand of thought here that if the UK gov simply ignores it's commitments about enforcing the agreed sections of the EU customs code at the NI/GH border then the Irish government will be forced to choose between putting up a border with NI or keeping it open.

Effectively a "not my problem bruv" approach.

I suspect the US will take a much harder line on this issue now, leaving the UK with a much less room to manoeuvre.

So we're back to the old, pre referendum, problem.

Where do we put the border?

Seeing as we rejected May's solution of around the entire UK it will have to be between GB and NI.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2020, 10:53:28 AM
As I wrote, more at link.
Why didn't you give the expected case?

Answer: Because you are trying to spin a narrative of disaster.
To propagandise us.

We don't like when people try and manipulate us.
We dislike those people.
We don't vote for them. They are unpopular.

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on November 06, 2020, 07:07:13 PM
Disagreeing with some one who is a blatant liar and still firing insults is me alienating the wider membership. What am I persisting with. Asking question  What is the problem with the questions I asked.  Try looking at the replies.  And you are indeed censoring.

Yeah I'm a liar, my fifth attempt at showing your post were you said the EU will erect a hard border. You just keep deleting it and calling me a liar.

VV
V

Jaydee

Quote from: cromwell on November 06, 2020, 07:00:09 PM
Mod Notice
You have been given considerable leeway on here we have no wish to censor but despite warnings have carried on regardless and are now alienating the wider membership.
If you persist you will be put on a warning level that requires each post be looked over by a mod which means a delay before it appears,if at all.

You have been given a fair warning.
Last chance the choice is yours

Disagreeing with some one who is a blatant liar and still firing insults is me alienating the wider membership. What am I persisting with. Asking question  What is the problem with the questions I asked.  Try looking at the replies.  And you are indeed censoring.   

cromwell

Quote from: Jaydee on November 06, 2020, 06:42:33 PM
Deleted what line.  Would like me to add the whole sentence as you go of another  tangent.  Here it is.   

And 24 hours later you replied knowingly lying through your teeth you posted  this To which you said the EU would build one,[/b]. 

That is what you said.  Knowing full well you were lying through your teeth.  You could not even remember what you posted  It is like your punctuation nonsense. Waffle, duck dive and weave.   Hoping it goes away.   Or are you denying and again lying you did not said that .   You have no credibility. And you are now trolling.    And matey.  It is who do you think you are kidding
Mod Notice
You have been given considerable leeway on here we have no wish to censor but despite warnings have carried on regardless and are now alienating the wider membership.
If you persist you will be put on a warning level that requires each post be looked over by a mod which means a delay before it appears,if at all.

You have been given a fair warning.
Last chance the choice is yours
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Jaydee

Quote from: Nick on November 06, 2020, 06:17:28 PM
Who do you think you're kidding? EVERYONE can see the line you have deleted which shows your quote.

Don't worry I've included it again.

REALLY!!

As for insulting you AGAIN, it wasn't an insult, it was a factual statement.

Deleted what line.  Would like me to add the whole sentence as you go of another  tangent.  Here it is.   

And 24 hours later you replied knowingly lying through your teeth you posted  this To which you said the EU would build one,[/b]. 

That is what you said.  Knowing full well you were lying through your teeth.  You could not even remember what you posted  It is like your punctuation nonsense. Waffle, duck dive and weave.   Hoping it goes away.   Or are you denying and again lying you did not said that .   You have no credibility. And you are now trolling.    And matey.  It is who do you think you are kidding  And in terms of the reply Simple answer.  A border is where two regulatory alignments meet.  And that means the EU will put up a border.  Look at the date. Then  operative word will .  So much for your waffle on grammar and timing.  And the date on your lying statement above. Lying again to weasel out.  And you have still not explained how the CTA will not be a hard border with Big Kranky Bojo and his red line on free movement

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on November 06, 2020, 02:21:34 PM
A warning for what.  Disagreeing with you.  Asking you questions which you cannot answer.  There was me thinking that is the idea of a political forum. You now denying I said this.  And on Brexit the EU left it to the UK government how it would work   And 24 hours later you replied knowingly lying through your teeth you posted  this To which you said the EU would build one,.  What was that about not remembering what you said.  As you ducked dived weaved insulted lied rather than admit you were wrong as you tossed the dummy out.  What your post tells me.  And looking at the banned list.  As you scream for the Mod to have me banned. Lying, trolling ducking diving and weaving, firing insults is a trait very conductive with this forum.  As long as it is coming from you.  Get your facts right before you rant on open forum and do not have the slightest ability to back up what you say.  . Now your latest insult and rant.  Point to one post from me.  That even  suggests,  as you now lie through your teeth that I am a wind up merchant.  Which is Bullshit for you are screwed for a answer. I was asking questions on what you posted.  So you must be the wind up merchant.   And they allow you to be a administrator. Grow up.

Who do you think you're kidding? EVERYONE can see the line you have deleted which shows your quote.

Don't worry I've included it again.

REALLY!!

Quote from: Jaydee on November 02, 2020, 02:36:27 PMSimple answer.  A border is where two regulatory alignments meet.  And that means the EU will put up a border.

As for insulting you AGAIN, it wasn't an insult, it was a factual statement.

Borchester

Quote from: Jaydee on November 06, 2020, 04:21:59 PM
And what has that incoherent meaningless insult supposed to say. It is Ok for you to insult. 

Well actually, I do get kicked off. The difference between us is that I quite like the folk here and feel under an obligation to at least try to make my posts readable
Algerie Francais !

Jaydee

Quote from: Borchester on November 06, 2020, 02:33:38 PM
Hey, don't start on me. You have already been kicked off .********** for being an incoherent loony and, fearing that you were running out of places to go, I thought that I would put in a kind word for you.

Anyway, have fun, crack on and try not to chew any more holes in the carpet  :)

And what has that incoherent meaningless insult supposed to say. It is Ok for you to insult.  As you do not get kicked of.  And for your info.  I told them to remove my account.   If you care to go and look. And I a still waiting on you to correct anything I have said.  Having problems. 

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2020, 02:41:41 PM
Oh gosh - I thought it was closer than that. (hibernates!)

BoJo better have some sort of celebration laid on. The miserable sod has already buggered up Christmas.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Algerie Francais !