Boris caves in to the EU - is Carrie behind this?

Started by HallowedBrexit, November 01, 2021, 06:17:38 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 04, 2021, 04:50:36 PM
 So I don't understand how the UK fishing industry sells at its inflated prices elsewhere when sea food is so much less expensive there...
Fresh fish,  live crustaceans, bi-valve molluscs produced in Cornwall before January 1st 2021 were 95%-95% exported to the EU.
That export market has now gone. That 95%-98% that has gone cannot be sold within Britain, which is why the fishing and production has stopped. Except for a very few who can sell locally and in Britain.
Frankly what is so bloody difficult for some people on this forum to understand is annoying.
A proper fishmongers became as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns in Britain decades ago.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 07:23:56 PM
30% to 100%, that's a big price swing!!
So you understand my amazement. The differences are just as marked with other commodities...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on November 04, 2021, 04:57:26 PM

In my experience most Cornish people view the holiday makers as a damned nuisance,
To be honest steve , i think all over the world , especially in tourist areas , the same attitude prevails .

locals always have a sort of love/hate relationship with tourists from my experience , love their cash , hate most of the rest that they bring.

Its laughable though some foreign incomer to cornwall bleating about other foreign incomers.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nick

Quote from: patman post on November 04, 2021, 04:50:36 PMI'd guess about 30% up to double what they cost in France
30% to 100%, that's a big price swing!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 02, 2021, 06:37:59 PM
Well to be fair Smurfy. I suspect the Cornish tourist industry is ashamed  of residents like you,especially as you're not a resident by birth but went there for the lifestyle but begrudge people a fortnight there.
I live close enough to Cornwall - and actually work in Cornwall amongst the Cornish - to know that they refer to holidaymakers flocking in as "emmets", which I believe to be a type of swarming ant. 

Mind you, in Devon we call them "grockles". No idea what that means, lol. But as a Devonian and Plymouthian I guess I can't take the moral high ground, lol.

In my experience most Cornish people view the holiday makers as a damned nuisance, unless their employment is in the tourist sector - in which case the more emmets come in the better it is.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

In the last ten years the number of regular outlets for cockles, eels, winkles, or whelks round here has shrunk to zero. The last shell fish stall I saw offering shellfish snacks was at the greyhounds — and I can't remember if that was at Romford or Crayford. There's loads of shrimps and prawns, but they may not even come from UK sources.

Wet fish round here shops sell mussels and scallops, but they're expensive (I'd guess about 30% up to double what they cost in France — delivery of oysters from relative arriving last Sunday was 29 for 19€), locally that would be around £30 -£35. It's the same story with tuna, squid, skate, etc. So I don't understand how the UK fishing industry sells at its inflated prices elsewhere when sea food is so much less expensive there...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 04:21:22 PM
That is not true.
Nick, I live here you don't, and it is true, several businesses shut down on January 1st 2021, they could not survive with 95%-98% of their market gone.
What is so (expletive deleted,) difficult for you to understand about that?
I really am getting fed up with your I suspect deliberate feigning of ignorance across a wide range of subjects.

Brexit: UK fishermen fear losing their homes as export ban bites | UK News | Sky News

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 04, 2021, 03:37:26 PM
Overnight. January 1st this year no export of bivalve molluscs from Cornwall to the EU because of the regulations Bojo-The-Clown signed without reading. Several business involved shut down, and sold the boats off, (which being traditional boats,) was done within days.  All the workforce and owners out of a job.
No sign of any of the promised government compensation.
Basically the trade has gone forever.
It is a disaster for those involved.
That is not true.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 02:28:42 PM
Overnight ???

The vote was 5 years ago and we had a 1 year transition period. Strange usage of the term overnight that I'm not aware of.
Overnight. January 1st this year no export of bivalve molluscs from Cornwall to the EU because of the regulations Bojo-The-Clown signed without reading. Several business involved shut down, and sold the boats off, (which being traditional boats,) was done within days.  All the workforce and owners out of a job.
No sign of any of the promised government compensation.
Basically the trade has gone forever.
It is a disaster for those involved.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 04, 2021, 07:49:11 AM
The inshore fishing and bivalve mollusc industry is in many cases dead. No business can survive when it loses 95%-98% of it market overnight. (Why that is so difficult for you to understand.)
As far as I am aware there have been no suicides (yet.)
Overnight ???

The vote was 5 years ago and we had a 1 year transition period. Strange usage of the term overnight that I'm not aware of. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2021, 12:13:54 AM
Can't have because you are telling us all the Cornish fishing industry is dead. I notice you ignored by picture of Cornish Sardines also!
The inshore fishing and bivalve mollusc industry is in many cases dead. No business can survive when it loses 95%-98% of it market overnight. (Why that is so difficult for you to understand.)
As far as I am aware there have been no suicides (yet.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2021, 07:57:34 PMIt also mean Falfish have got away from the Brexit problems.
Can't have because you are telling us all the Cornish fishing industry is dead. I notice you ignored by picture of Cornish Sardines also!

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 02, 2021, 07:49:25 PM
Yes it does because it was taken over doesn't mean it's ceased trading
I know but £40 million is still peanuts, it now exclusively supplied Morrisons Supermarkets. (It also mean Falfish have got away from the Brexit problems.)

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2021, 07:41:55 PM
Falfish no longer exists. Morrisons bought it out and £40 million is peanuts.
Yes it does because it was taken over doesn't mean it's ceased trading
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 02, 2021, 07:30:32 PM
Cornwalls biggest industries are agriculture,tourism and companies like Falfish with an annual turnover between 30 and 40 million pounds  selling a lot of fish :)
Falfish no longer exists. Morrisons bought it out and £40 million is peanuts.