Dream ticket?

Started by T00ts, July 10, 2022, 12:53:39 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on July 12, 2022, 01:04:38 PM
Well somebody needs to tell the UK govt and the EU that. The word Fish appears 191 times in the TCA, there is a full section (part 2 Heading 5) dedicated to fishing, this outlines conservation, quota shares and access to each others waters (Art.500)
Art501 deals with compensation in the unlikely event of a party reducing or withdrawing access to it's waters. Remedial action is permitted (art506) such as removal of preferential tariffs etc.. Failing resolution art 744 covers resolution via an Arbitration Tribunal.
The UK can take unilateral action, it would be breaking the TCA and I doubt fishing outweighs the benefits the UK has with that agreement.

What threat does the NI situation hold ?  apart from the NI economy being far better performing, because of it's closer ties to the EU. A daily reminder to the UK govt of the folly that brexit is.
There is a far greater threat coming from the fact that the UK govt aren't conducting checks as agreed at it's borders, a smugglers paradise, I think that's prob first on the list to fix.
It doesn't matter how many times the word fish appears, it's what it says. 

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/eu-fish-stocks/eu-uk-fishing-quotas/

In line with the Trade and Cooperation Agreement signed by the EU and the UK and which applies from 1 January 2021, every year the two parties will hold consultations to set their respective fishing opportunities for the shared stocks for the year to come.

The EU automatically loses 5% from the available pot every year, up to 25%

I notice you haven't actually answered the question though. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2022, 05:03:42 PMNo Gerry, it's an annually agreed limit and ATM it's agreed up to the end of 2022, so what are they going to do if the U.K. says you aren't getting anymore allowance until you agree to our deal? I believe the U.K. refused to see the ECJ as any kind of dispute resolution one stop shop. 
Well somebody needs to tell the UK govt and the EU that. The word Fish appears 191 times in the TCA, there is a full section (part 2 Heading 5) dedicated to fishing, this outlines conservation, quota shares and access to each others waters (Art.500) 
Art501 deals with compensation in the unlikely event of a party reducing or withdrawing access to it's waters. Remedial action is permitted (art506) such as removal of preferential tariffs etc.. Failing resolution art 744 covers resolution via an Arbitration Tribunal. 
The UK can take unilateral action, it would be breaking the TCA and I doubt fishing outweighs the benefits the UK has with that agreement. 

Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2022, 05:03:42 PMAs for borders, the U.K, same as any other country can change laws that threatens the U.K. So if the U.K. does change the law what will the EU do about a hard border? 

What threat does the NI situation hold ?  apart from the NI economy being far better performing, because of it's closer ties to the EU. A daily reminder to the UK govt of the folly that brexit is.
There is a far greater threat coming from the fact that the UK govt aren't conducting checks as agreed at it's borders, a smugglers paradise, I think that's prob first on the list to fix.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on July 11, 2022, 02:23:21 PM
Presumably the fishing access is part of the TCA (Trade & Co-operation Agreement) the UK signed with the EU, it came with that oven baked deal Johnson signed and people were thrilled with. If the UK reneged on that agreement then the Eu would raise a dispute case which would eventually end up in the European Courts, as was agreed with the UK govt as the means for resolving disputes. In a simple case such as this, the UK would be fined and access restored.Copy and paste from above.

The time for saying all that was BEFORE the UK signed and ratified by majority an international agreement.  The UK had full choice in what it wanted to do, and what it wanted was an internal border and shared UK fishing waters, but like most Brexiters keep saying, we knew what we were voting for.
No Gerry, it's an annually agreed limit and ATM it's agreed up to the end of 2022, so what are they going to do if the U.K. says you aren't getting anymore allowance until you agree to our deal? I believe the U.K. refused to see the ECJ as any kind of dispute resolution one stop shop. 

As for borders, the U.K, same as any other country can change laws that threatens the U.K. So if the U.K. does change the law what will the EU do about a hard border? 

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2022, 09:52:53 AMWhat would the EU do if the French were not allowed to fish in U.K. waters?

Presumably the fishing access is part of the TCA (Trade & Co-operation Agreement) the UK signed with the EU, it came with that oven baked deal Johnson signed and people were thrilled with. If the UK reneged on that agreement then the Eu would raise a dispute case which would eventually end up in the European Courts, as was agreed with the UK govt as the means for resolving disputes. In a simple case such as this, the UK would be fined and access restored.
Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2022, 09:52:53 AMWhat would the EU do if the U.K. said... The U.K. is having no internet border or customs checks, there is a border between NI and SI what are YOU going to do about it?
Copy and paste from above.

The time for saying all that was BEFORE the UK signed and ratified by majority an international agreement.  The UK had full choice in what it wanted to do, and what it wanted was an internal border and shared UK fishing waters, but like most Brexiters keep saying, we knew what we were voting for.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on July 11, 2022, 11:55:24 AM
It's no big surprise really, as a party the Tories have allowed this one issue to determine the very nature of the parliamentary party, and will it seems play a big part in the choice they make. So I suppose sliding into the actual subject of Brexit was inevitable.  No wonder Nigel, is alright with not raising a new party, the Tories are busy trying to do it for him
Yeah but, no but, time is up.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on July 11, 2022, 10:59:24 AM
Nick, the UK govt had years to negotiate with the EU. It's a trade off, the UK gives x and the EU responds with y. Are you saying that the people conducting those negotiations were so bad that the UK got a bad deal ?  or is it more realistic to say the UK expectations and that includes yours, were inflated and over the course of those negotiations reality hit. Nobody is twisting the UK's arm, you could have done a hard brexit with no deal, then you could have done all that you suggested, why is it that Johnson didn't do that ?
Answer the 2 questions Gerry. Or are you scared of the answers?

Good old

Quote from: Barry on July 11, 2022, 11:39:30 AM
Yeah, Fred Drift has been at work again. He's a right idiot.

It's no big surprise really, as a party the Tories have allowed this one issue to determine the very nature of the parliamentary party, and will it seems play a big part in the choice they make. So I suppose sliding into the actual subject of Brexit was inevitable.  No wonder Nigel, is alright with not raising a new party, the Tories are busy trying to do it for him

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on July 11, 2022, 10:23:19 AM
You will still be waiting for it to go your way when we board the place up.

Further to a previous retort to this. I have made it very clear my concern, my wish, and what I'm waiting for,  is that as we have asked for Brexit, it should evolve to the real benefit of all that make up the population of this country.
Your response seems to indicate that it will never go that way , wasn't supposed to , and it doesn't matter.

Barry

Quote from: Good old on July 11, 2022, 09:48:05 AM
Well if you look at this thread right now you would think ,the dream ticket, was referring to Brexit.
Just a bit of gossip I would think but the talk is of a TV debate for these party candidates. WHAT.Puke
Yeah, Fred Drift has been at work again. He's a right idiot.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Good old on July 11, 2022, 10:27:41 AM
Last time I looked at my High St, it looked like the boarding up was already quiet advanced.
Possibly the use of rubber hammers helped...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2022, 09:52:53 AM
We'll ask yourself 2 questions.

What would the EU do if the French were not allowed to fish in U.K. waters?

And

What would the EU do if the U.K. said... The U.K. is having no internet border or customs checks, there is a border between NI and SI what are YOU going to do about it?
Nick, the UK govt had years to negotiate with the EU. It's a trade off, the UK gives x and the EU responds with y. Are you saying that the people conducting those negotiations were so bad that the UK got a bad deal ?  or is it more realistic to say the UK expectations and that includes yours, were inflated and over the course of those negotiations reality hit. Nobody is twisting the UK's arm, you could have done a hard brexit with no deal, then you could have done all that you suggested, why is it that Johnson didn't do that ?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on July 11, 2022, 10:36:59 AM
Steve I don't want to get in to an argument over this,I just responded to your concerns regarding Borkys post and said and still believe if you look at a lot of what he says you should take some salt with it.
I understand that re Borky's posts. He is often mischievously provocative just for the fun of it. But I nevertheless see value in responding to the semtiments actually expressed. Do not most of us do that with HallowedBrexit even though he is obviously on a continuous wind up?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on July 11, 2022, 10:30:48 AM
It was your denial of the use of whataboutery in spite of an obvious example of it that I was labelling as "shite".
Steve I don't want to get in to an argument over this,I just responded to your concerns regarding Borkys post and said and still believe if you look at a lot of what he says you should take some salt with it.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on July 11, 2022, 10:13:14 AM
Whether you wish to respond to my posts is entirely up to you but if your idea of debate is to label my thoughts as shite it says more about you and perhaps it'd be better if you didn't.
It was your denial of the use of whataboutery in spite of an obvious example of it that I was labelling as "shite".
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on July 11, 2022, 10:27:41 AM
Last time I looked at my High St, it looked like the boarding up was already quiet advanced.

But then don't kid yourselves we won't and go off on tangents.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!