Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18967 time=1584635453 user_id=103
Hear hear!  I've come across several of these macho pontificators recently in the real world as well as on internet forums.

Quite apart from saving lives and reducing suffering, if tough measures are introduced ASAP, it's likely to reduce the length of time they need to be in force. Also buying time reduces the risk of the virus mutating into something more deadly.

Personally I'm content to believe that tough measures should be introduced when they are likely to be the most effective and least damaging — as explained by those with the latest data who are briefing government...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Hear hear!  I've come across several of these macho pontificators recently in the real world as well as on internet forums.

Quite apart from saving lives and reducing suffering, if tough measures are introduced ASAP, it's likely to reduce the length of time they need to be in force.  Also buying time reduces the risk of the virus mutating into something more deadly.

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=18964 time=1584634707 user_id=70
It's possibly bravado or fear, though in some cases it's more likely to come from the pub pontificator, who likes to shout down anyone basing comments on new data in the belief it's either funny or macho — forums (and pubs) have them all the time.

Often their pointless posturing means nothing much. But when ridiculing sensible advice that's based on the latest evidence, it might be dangerous...

Thank you for an explanation. I don't want panic at all and am getting angry that the authorities are dreaming that their measures so far are going to have enough impact on those who have little sense. They now plan to close shops etc in London. I already know of many who will leave London on Friday to stay with parents, therefore the grandparents of their children, for no other reason than London will become boring. I take it that they can guarantee not to be spreading the virus further over the country. Thought not!

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18962 time=1584634051 user_id=54
I really don't understand the logic of those determined, despite the insistence of the Government and the problems seen around the world, to belittle this virus to others.

It's possibly bravado or fear, though in some cases it's more likely to come from the pub pontificator, who likes to shout down anyone basing comments on new data in the belief it's either funny or macho — forums (and pubs) have them all the time.

Often their pointless posturing means nothing much. But when ridiculing sensible advice that's based on the latest evidence, it might be dangerous...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=18959 time=1584631229 user_id=59
It's important to distinguish between severity of illness and the problem of contagiousness.  It's very contagious, and that's why we need to impede the spread.  But the evidence (so far) simply does not tell us that it's more dangerous than the flu.

I really don't understand the logic of those determined, despite the insistence of the Government and the problems seen around the world, to belittle this virus to others. We have enough problems trying to curtail the contagion to  a point where the authorities can cope with elderly people who simply don't understand and youngsters who won't.

The more people determined to persuade everyone that it is just flu, the more unnecessary deaths there will be and that will be among all age groups. It isn't just that it is more contagious it is the fact that they can't treat it.

patman post

Average infection rate of an individual of others: FLU 1.3 / COVID-19 2-2.5

Incubation time: FLU 1-4 days / COVID-19 1-14 days

Reported deaths among total cases: FLU 0.1% or less / COVID-19 1-3.4%

A good encapsulation of data so far from CDC, WHO and the US National Center for Biotechnology Information:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/iOMarZz9BXgwquIn0fCryQSJW8Y=/0x0:1941x1941/920x0/filters:focal%280x0:1941x1941%29:format%28webp%29:no_upscale%28%29/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19816388/flu_covid_comparison_1_high_res.jpg">https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/iOMarZz ... gh_res.jpg">https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/iOMarZz9BXgwquIn0fCryQSJW8Y=/0x0:1941x1941/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:1941x1941):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19816388/flu_covid_comparison_1_high_res.jpg

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=18959 time=1584631229 user_id=59
  But the evidence (so far) simply does not tell us that it's more dangerous than the flu.

That depends on your age and medical condition. Deaths from flu have plummeted since the annual  vaccination became available. There is no vaccine for Covid-19.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18943 time=1584610647 user_id=54
The thing that doesn't add up for me is how anyone can continue to make comments about this being less than it has already proved to be. We have pretty much every country in the world experiencing severe illness in so many people all at once that medical intervention is impossible for too many. Yes - some experience a mild form and are back on their feet in a week or so, but anyone, repeat anyone, with anything undermining their heart, lungs or blood system has been seen to struggle to the point of requiring assisted breathing. Without that assistance more will die than live.

We all assume unless proven otherwise that we are fit and healthy. But anyone living in cities or in places of pollution will have lung damage to some degree. Anyone who has smoked Ditto. Anyone who has lived with a smoker Ditto. Anyone who has suffered bronchitis at times in their lives Ditto.

To simply dismiss this illness and the people who are concerned, as well as governments all over the world, who are trying their best to contain it, with the idea that this is just a little flu/cold, is bordering on ignorant if not downright insanity.

It will take weeks for many people to recover. Some have been found to suffer permanent lung damage after 'recovering'. It will take weeks for many to die. Don't look at the death rate yet. It will the death rate in months time that may well be the shock you are waiting for. I just hope that those who get ill don't have someone with them who thinks they are making it up when they are gasping for air and panicking that they cannot breathe while all the time in vicious pain.

It's important to distinguish between severity of illness and the problem of contagiousness.  It's very contagious, and that's why we need to impede the spread.  But the evidence (so far) simply does not tell us that it's more dangerous than the flu.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18955 time=1584624507 user_id=62WHAT NATIONAL EMERGENCY

Frankly if you don't take your blinkers off you could be in very serious trouble.

I suspect you are terrified and in denial.

patman post

3.8. Please do not use unusual fonts or text sizes. You may post in different colours, but to accentuate a quoted passage or to assist in understanding in some other way.

But I guess forum favourites can get away with murder...

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18954 time=1584623269 user_id=89
You are wrong. The Tories have starved the NHS of funding to the point it cannot handle the current emergency. That was bound to happen.

There is no slack n in the system to deal with a national emergency. You need to take your rose tinted spectacles off.

WHAT FUCKING NATIONAL EMERGENCY YOU HYSTERICAL FREAK?

iT IS THE FUCKING FLU. NOT THE SPANISH FLU OR THE BLACK DEATH BUT THE FUCKING CHINESE FUCKING SNIFFLES.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18953 time=1584622839 user_id=62
The NHS's funding is well that of most everywhere else because most everywhere requires you to claim off various insurance agencies.

You are wrong. The Tories have starved the NHS of funding to the point it cannot handle the current emergency. That was bound to happen.

There is no slack n in the system to deal with a national emergency. You need to take your rose tinted spectacles off.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18952 time=1584618913 user_id=89
Borchester up until May 2010 the average increase in annual funding for the NHS had been over 4%. The increase has been cut for 10 years.

That is why the NHS is underfunded and the funding is still well below other developed nations.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268826/health-expenditure-as-gdp-percentage-in-oecd-countries/">https://www.statista.com/statistics/268 ... countries/">https://www.statista.com/statistics/268826/health-expenditure-as-gdp-percentage-in-oecd-countries/

The NHS's funding is well that of most everywhere else because most everywhere requires you to claim off various insurance agencies. So instead of having the NIC being picked up quickly and efficiently by HMRC, Johnny Foreigner's claims go through umpteen clerks and push up the admin costs accordingly.

More to the point, pumping ever increasing wedges of cash into the black hole of financial incompetence  that is the NHS has done nothing to cure this country of the terrible plague of victimhood that is sweeping the country.

The good news is that the Chinese cough will burn itself out in a few months. The bad is that we will soon find something else to encourage the national humiliation to which we have become increasingly addicted.

No one has more sympathy for the sick and lame and halt than I and I reckon they are a total pain in the arse.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18949 time=1584617311 user_id=62
Underfunding the NHS my arse.

Borchester up until May 2010 the average increase in annual funding for the NHS had been over 4%. The increase has been cut for 10 years.

That is why the NHS is underfunded and the funding is still well below other developed nations.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268826/health-expenditure-as-gdp-percentage-in-oecd-countries/">https://www.statista.com/statistics/268 ... countries/">https://www.statista.com/statistics/268826/health-expenditure-as-gdp-percentage-in-oecd-countries/

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18949 time=1584617311 user_id=62
Underfunding the NHS my arse. It gobbles up one pound out of every six in our taxes and when the country is hit by a minor foreign bug still does not have the guts to admit that the only cure is to go home, go to bed and in the case of half the sufferers, hope to grow some balls.

Some people just aren't seeing the picture are they?

One pound in every six of our taxes - well, that's not surprising is it.  Not like it's one pound in every six of our income, is it?