Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18754 time=1584351298 user_id=103

Anyway, the updated figures still point that coronavirus might be almost eradicated in China.  But it's not over until the virus is completely eradicated.

There are 3,800 in critical condition. When China say it is all contained, it will all start again. It's not worth the damage to their economy. It's now around the world and won't go away until most of us have had it and are immune.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: GregB post_id=18771 time=1584362948 user_id=72
Our company offices have been closed today and all others worldwide until further notice. Everyone working from home.

That could be the way of the future, flu bug or not. In my experience a lot of folk go to the office or whatever because they prefer doing that to staying at home. We love our families but amazingly, work provides a welcome distraction. But that is becoming more and more difficult to justify in this age of computers.
Algerie Francais !

GregB

Our company offices have been closed today and all others worldwide until further notice. Everyone working from home.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas post_id=18745 time=1584346200 user_id=58

On one of the scottish sites i go on , we have grown men thanking a polling blogger who knows feck all about viruses and pandemics , for his in depth misinformation on coronavirus  ,

I like that line Tommy, wish I had said it and probably will  :D
Algerie Francais !

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18758 time=1584351700 user_id=54
The point is though aren't they still on lock down? Unless the whole planet can eradicate, the minute everyone goes back to 'normal' it will start again. Unless we have a cure or vaccination we will need to keep all borders closed as each country clears itself. I don't think there is an obvious or easy answer at this stage each country is having to cope with their own individual situations. No one size fits all.

Eradicating coronavirus from humans should be the goal, and as quickly as possible, not least to minimise the risk of it mutating into something even more dangerous.  We don't know how difficult the final eradication of the virus will be if and when it's down to single digit new cases globally per day.  But a piece on BBC website described how after only 2 weeks, in all 10 towns in northern Italy that were the first to go into lockdown, they are now getting no new cases of coronavirus in any of them. That was a few days ago so I don't know if it's still the case - I hope it is.

At the end of the pandemic one result I can imagine is that for some time after, anyone getting cold or flu symptoms will be required to self-isolate.  

A by product of that would be that colds and flu would spread a bit less widely, which in itself is a good thing, in a small way.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=18757 time=1584351466 user_id=49
I'm almost certain I 'just' have the cold or a fluey thing, but been sent home from work this morning to self isolate for a week just in case. I feel so guilty but suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

No need to feel guilty.  Wouldn't you feel more guilty if you carried on at work with the symptoms, even though they're most likely just a cold?

Anyway I hope whatever you have caught gets better soon.

T00ts

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=18757 time=1584351466 user_id=49
I'm almost certain I 'just' have the cold or a fluey thing, but been sent home from work this morning to self isolate for a week just in case. I feel so guilty but suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

They had a 60 yr old fit and healthy GP on TV this morning. She has had it. She said the first couple of days she just had a cold but then a painful chest infection developed and now she feels as if she had 15 rounds with Mike Tyson but is definitely getting better. Don't feel guilty you are doing exactly the right thing. Take care we'll be thinking of you.

T00ts

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18754 time=1584351298 user_id=103
Yesterday I posted that there were no coronavirus deaths in China and just a handful of new cases.  This morning the same statistics site says there were 14 deaths and 22 new cases in China.  Apparently the Chinese authorities release the statistics around 10 pm our time, so today's figures presumably refer to the same period as the ones I mentioned yesterday which suggested no deaths.  

Anyway, the updated figures still point that coronavirus might be almost eradicated in China.  But it's not over until the virus is completely eradicated.

The point is though aren't they still on lock down? Unless the whole planet can eradicate, the minute everyone goes back to 'normal' it will start again. Unless we have a cure or vaccination we will need to keep all borders closed as each country clears itself. I don't think there is an obvious or easy answer at this stage each country is having to cope with their own individual situations. No one size fits all.

Bright Young Thing

<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Yesterday I posted that there were no coronavirus deaths in China and just a handful of new cases.  This morning the same statistics site says there were 14 deaths and 22 new cases in China.  Apparently the Chinese authorities release the statistics around 10 pm our time, so today's figures presumably refer to the same period as the ones I mentioned yesterday which suggested no deaths.  

As for my own situation.  In normal circumstances I consider myself low-risk as I hardly ever get colds or flu, even when everyone around me gets them.    I am over 60 though.  I am very worried about coronavirus though, my complacency about 'normal' bugs doesn't reassure me at all.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas post_id=18745 time=1584346200 user_id=58

Why is it always the same people no matter what the topic running around screaming we are all going to die?

We are all going to die, (eventually.) However depending on your age and health conditions the death rate from Covid-19 varies widely with current experience from 1% to 15%. In my case given my age and multiplicity of health conditions  I am about midway in that risk.

My wife and I based on past experience have a lot of resistance to disease and just get ill for a day or two, when others take two weeks off work and a few local elderly cark it.

The last time was over the last Christmas period, when there was "a lot it about."
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18733 time=1584317692 user_id=62
Which, since we have only 168,000 hospital beds in the UK means 50 patients per bed.

The bloke that gave you those stats Duckie, he didn't have a grin and his fingers crossed behind his back did he?

no but i think most folk reading his posts have a grin on their faces. :roll:  8-)

7.9 million people hospitalised over corona virus. What a load of feckin shite.

Why is it always the same people no matter what the topic running around screaming we are all going to die?

Outwith internet rumour , who has actually said this? Which uk nation CMO , or uk nation government official has officially stated this?

7.9 million hospitalised in something that is apparently going to last till next spring at least?

FFS the interwebby , with a bunch of cants sitting in their pish stained boxers in front of the pc , has went from being full of trade experts over brexit to now being experts on viruses and pandemics.

As i said yesterday its no jist quack on this forum , but the same liberal leftie tree hugging wet blankets on every single forum running around screaming we are all going to die.

On one of the scottish sites i go on , we have grown men thanking a polling blogger who knows feck all about viruses and pandemics , for his in depth misinformation on coronavirus  , while the information being put out by both the scottish government and uk wide is being ignored at worst , or at best questioned and dismissed while they listen to anonymous bloggers on the internet who are normally stoned or pished out their nut walking about george square most weekdays.

I despair seeing grown men behave like this.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=18743 time=1584345625 user_id=59
Again, that's not correct.  It may be that 8% of over 70s OF PEOPLE TESTED may die.  Now add people over 70 who have mild or no symptoms and therefore NOT tested, and reduce that 8%.

I am going by the data, not on keyboard pundits.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18739 time=1584343046 user_id=89
Not for the over 70s, where it close to 8%.

Again, that's not correct.  It may be that 8% of over 70s OF PEOPLE TESTED may die.  Now add people over 70 who have mild or no symptoms and therefore NOT tested, and reduce that 8%.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18732 time=1584316280 user_id=103
From the point of view of an individual's own health, getting the virus but never developing symptoms is much the same as not getting the virus at all.

No, not the same.  If many have no symptoms, it means the number of non-serious cases is higher.  That's the point.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.