Brexit. Good or bad?

Started by srb7677, September 17, 2022, 07:19:18 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: B-4 on October 14, 2022, 07:09:47 PM
I can't vote on the poll now that it's closed.

I think it's good. The problem is that it doesn't have the required representation and there's still MPs dragging their feet.  There's also those who blame everything bad on Brexit whilst ignoring the lunacy over Covid and the growing international problems that is having a negative effect throughout the globe. 

Perhaps the timing was wrong.  The response was certainly poor, especially under T. May.
Certainly was,I only voted Tory because they were the only option that promised to honour the referendum,Tory posters on here told me she'd carry it through .....she was rubbish and then I was told  Truss would be up to the job,wrong again.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B-4

I can't vote on the poll now that it's closed.

I think it's good. The problem is that it doesn't have the required representation and there's still MPs dragging their feet.  There's also those who blame everything bad on Brexit whilst ignoring the lunacy over Covid and the growing international problems that is having a negative effect throughout the globe. 

Perhaps the timing was wrong.  The response was certainly poor, especially under T. May.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2022, 09:36:27 AM
Profits are down where? It's you general sweeping statement again. Where's your link?
Someone else has already posted that. There is this though:-

https://www.export.org.uk/news/610245/UK-exports-to-EU-fall-to-lowest-recorded-level-as-imports-rise-according-to-trade-data.htm
UK exports to EU fall to lowest recorded level as imports rise, according to trade data
01 July 2022

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2022, 09:27:35 AM
But profits are down, ALL of the doom and gloom has come true, you need to take your Brexit tinted spectacles off.
As for fishing, by the time the UK government decides to do something there will be practically no Cornish fishing industry left.
Profits are down where? It's you general sweeping statement again. Where's your link?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2022, 09:21:55 AM
It doesn't matter what figures you look at, trade is up, so none of the doom and gloom of Brexit has come true. And as the EU losses more and more of our fishing grounds they will have no choice but to deal with our fishermen.
But profits are down, ALL of the doom and gloom has come true, you need to take your Brexit tinted spectacles off.
As for fishing, by the time the UK government decides to do something there will be practically no Cornish fishing industry left.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2022, 09:00:03 AM
But profits aren't due to the extra costs. The big problem is the Tories are stupid enough to sign trade agreements with Investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) clauses in them which is the road to hell.
It doesn't matter what figures you look at, trade is up, so none of the doom and gloom of Brexit has come true. And as the EU losses more and more of our fishing grounds they will have no choice but to deal with our fishermen. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 08:50:39 PM
Hence the reason trade is up after Brexit, we are free to trade with who the hell we want to.
And when we join the CPTPP it will be a trade partnership far bigger than the EU.
But profits aren't due to the extra costs. The big problem is the Tories are stupid enough to sign trade agreements with Investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) clauses in them which is the road to hell.

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 17, 2022, 08:43:07 PM
99.3% of UK businesses do not export to the EU

But regardless ,  not having a daily list of legistlation being handed us for compliance by various politicians and courts from across the Channel trumps anything anyone can come up with with regard to trade
Hence the reason trade is up after Brexit, we are free to trade with who the hell we want to. 
And when we join the CPTPP it will be a trade partnership far bigger than the EU. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 07:33:06 PM
It does not comment on the large number of businesses no longer exporting to the EU because of the cost and complexity of the paperwork.
99.3% of UK businesses do not export to the EU

But regardless ,  not having a daily list of legistlation being handed us for compliance by various politicians and courts from across the Channel trumps anything anyone can come up with with regard to trade 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 07:33:06 PM
It does not comment on the large number of businesses no longer exporting to the EU because of the cost and complexity of the paperwork.
It gives the overall figures of trade, which is up. Those that didn't evolve died, the ones that did thrived. That's how the world is, like it or not. And your figures show that Covid was the cause and not Brexit I believe. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 06:20:59 PM
But yours is defacto the correct set? So please explain why the data I posted is wrong!

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 05:37:30 PM
Not the same dataset.
But yours is defacto the correct set? So please explain why the data I posted is wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 05:24:49 PM
Cherrypicked? It's the ONS, same government as HMRC.
Not the same dataset.

patman post

Quote from: Sheepy on September 17, 2022, 05:24:02 PM
If you follow the links, it does show you, we are still running a huge deficit.
Exactly...!

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 05:10:08 PM
Cherry picked data, the HMRC data posted earlier show the reality.
Cherrypicked? It's the ONS, same government as HMRC.