Time to cull the charity con?

Started by cromwell, December 02, 2022, 08:08:47 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 03, 2022, 09:36:14 PM
So why not aspire to raise the bar in our system,just saying the system is great for people that can afford it is not good enough why accept that ours is crap instead of doing something about it.

Governed by half wits but is that those you brand halfwits fault are you saying we should stand by and do nothing,what a legacy that is as much the tories fault as anyone's.

What a sad indictment of what this country is.
I did try doing something about it , I joined and stood for a party that promoted a change in the system . OK they turned out to be a lost cause when the main objective was achieved but the education policy was pretty sound . 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 03, 2022, 09:37:49 AM
It's these children, who's parents may struggle to give them the best education, that go on to be a biochemist or such and develop a cancer drug that might save a less well off persons life. You're prepared to cancel this route through the politics of envy.
No, that won't wash. For a start I tried that route, Thatcher fucked me over. Remember, I was researching the very mechanic that COVID used to F@@@ your brain, kidneys, liver and lungs over back in '82 I just didn't know COVID would exploit it, and Thatcher decided the money paying for my research was best used on her stockbroker chums Ferraris instead of the cancer cures. Because she threw six of my pals off their research funded by the MRC at Tenovus too. 

None of the team my nephew in Cardiff working on mouse cancer carrying on where I left off were put through private schools, and none of the high energy magicks (sorry PHYSICS) crew my other nephew in the scientific line works with half the silver spoon option.

in politics however it seems de rigeur
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 03, 2022, 08:17:20 PM
Yes I did and yes thats Finlands state system which is better than ours because of various practices not found in our state system but funny enough in our private ones .

The crux of the matter is giving  as many kids the best education they can have and until our state schools raise the bar to something like whats provided in Finland there will always be a need for anyone who can afford it for private education . And if by giving people a tax break they fall into the catagory of being able to afford it thats fine by me .
So why not aspire to raise the bar in our system,just saying the system is great for people that can afford it is not good enough why accept that ours is crap instead of doing something about it.

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 03, 2022, 08:43:19 PM
Because they have not been taught anything . Blairs education ,education , education was a false claim . For ten years  we had pupils being drilled to pass exams without any real knowledge being taught .  We had choice of schools (instead of your local one ) that saw good schools invaded by kids from the other side of town

The good schools became bad ones , the bad ones remained bad ones but everyone passed their dummed down exams so everyone was happy with the  improved stats . The conservatives didnt bother to change it

But nobody learned anything . We turned out a generation of halfwits  .

Governed by half wits but is that those you brand halfwits fault are you saying we should stand by and do nothing,what a legacy that is as much the tories fault as anyone's.

What a sad indictment of what this country is.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on December 03, 2022, 08:13:53 PM
Sis and I had class sizes of approaching 50 (48, I think was the largest), and we returned to the UK way ahead of our class mates when it came to GCSE time.

Our parents sent us away to an education based on the British system of the 50's and 60's. From my experience on coming back, I have to ask why was education here bolluxed up so much. Was it teachers or government?

Both Sis and I went to uni and we've done well since. But my main observation is why are so many of those following us into the workforce almost illiterate..?
Because they have not been taught anything . Blairs education ,education , education was a false claim . For ten years  we had pupils being drilled to pass exams without any real knowledge being taught .  We had choice of schools (instead of your local one ) that saw good schools invaded by kids from the other side of town 

The good schools became bad ones , the bad ones remained bad ones but everyone passed their dummed down exams so everyone was happy with the  improved stats . The conservatives didnt bother to change it 

But nobody learned anything . We turned out a generation of halfwits  .

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 03, 2022, 05:17:18 PM
Well you obviously didn't read the link at all,that's Finlands state system there are no private schools.

Yes I did and yes thats Finlands state system which is better than ours because of various practices not found in our state system but funny enough in our private ones .

The crux of the matter is giving  as many kids the best education they can have and until our state schools raise the bar to something like whats provided in Finland there will always be a need for anyone who can afford it for private education . And if by giving people a tax break they fall into the catagory of being able to afford it thats fine by me .

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 03, 2022, 03:45:43 PM
As Toots has said thats a private school format of smaller classes and more teachers (was it 1 teacher to every 7 Kids , wow ) with one to one tuition when needed .
But Yes of course I would support smaller classes , its the proven way to  successful education around the World . One of the regular top rated countries for education ,Singapore, typically has a ratio of a teacher for every 12- 15 kids ,about half the size of UK state schools (20-30) with UK private schools coming in the middle 15-20 .  Its not rocket science
Sis and I had class sizes of approaching 50 (48, I think was the largest), and we returned to the UK way ahead of our class mates when it came to GCSE time.

Our parents sent us away to an education based on the British system of the 50's and 60's. From my experience on coming back, I have to ask why was education here bolluxed up so much. Was it teachers or government?

Both Sis and I went to uni and we've done well since. But my main observation is why are so many of those following us into the workforce almost illiterate..?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on December 03, 2022, 05:17:18 PM
Well you obviously didn't read the link at all,that's Finlands state system there are no private schools.

Well your supreme leader did it for you didn't she with your bargain property,do something with your life? as you told us so many times what you did was sit on your arse  (which you so often pontificate from) as often as you could and took the states cash and you have the bloody cheek to lecture others. :)
Finland didn't finally get rid of Soviet influence until 1956, so I doubt the Finns felt the need to introduce fee-paying schools.

And blessed Margaret was a grammar school girl who got a scholarship to Oxford.

All in all, I don't see any of your arguments referencing Finland and Thatcher, advance any cause for removing charitable status from private "public" schools — but I do go along with the idea that charities need to be under closer scrutiny...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 03, 2022, 04:04:12 PM
I don't have any children, I didn't like them when I was one.
I doubt that surprises anyone.

Is there anything other than pulling wings off flies that could attract you as a hobby...?

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 03, 2022, 03:45:43 PM
As Toots has said thats a private school format of smaller classes and more teachers (was it 1 teacher to every 7 Kids , wow ) with one to one tuition when needed .
But Yes of course I would support smaller classes , its the proven way to  successful education around the World . One of the regular top rated countries for education ,Singapore, typically has a ratio of a teacher for every 12- 15 kids ,about half the size of UK state schools (20-30) with UK private schools coming in the middle 15-20 .  Its not rocket science

Quote from: Borchester on December 03, 2022, 04:00:19 PM

Yes you are.

Lately you have turned into a right, sniveling envious old git with his paw out and ridden with hatred for anyone who has managed to do something with their lives rather than wait for some Supreme Leader to do it for you.

Well your supreme leader did it for you didn't she with your bargain property,do something with your life? as you told us so many times what you did was sit on your arse  (which you so often pontificate from) as often as you could and took the states cash and you have the bloody cheek to lecture others. :)

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 03, 2022, 04:00:19 PM

You and Steve and Pappy are or were happy to entrust your children to the state.
I don't have any children, I didn't like them when I was one.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on December 03, 2022, 09:51:10 AM
t I'm not and never have been envious of those who've made something have your big houses the cars spend your money as you wish but don't expect a tax break on it.

Yes you are.

Lately you have turned into a right, sniveling envious old git with his paw out and ridden with hatred for anyone who has managed to do something with their lives rather than wait for some Supreme Leader to do it for you.

You and Steve and Pappy are or were happy to entrust your children to the state. I was never that poor, which is why, like millions of others, I went up to my armpits in debt to have my children and grandchildren privately educated.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 03, 2022, 01:08:40 PM
Shouldn't you be supporting something like this?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/why-are-finlands-schools-successful-49859555/
As Toots has said thats a private school format of smaller classes and more teachers (was it 1 teacher to every 7 Kids , wow ) with one to one tuition when needed .
But Yes of course I would support smaller classes , its the proven way to  successful education around the World . One of the regular top rated countries for education ,Singapore, typically has a ratio of a teacher for every 12- 15 kids ,about half the size of UK state schools (20-30) with UK private schools coming in the middle 15-20 .   Its not rocket science 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 03, 2022, 01:20:52 PM
It's not at all, yet more supposition by you.
Eton take 5.5% as scholarships each year, that is significant.
That is pathetic.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on December 03, 2022, 01:58:24 PM
At 25 per class that's 30 classes per mile in the U.K., less than 2 in Finland. The logistics are poles apart.
Build more schools then,adopt a better system.

The purpose of govt any govt that is and party is to serve the people and protect them and their well being and the country as a whole.

That's failed miserably if you look at education and in times we live now energy provision.
The idea privately owned is the be all is shown to be a failure,privately owned has its place of course but so does public and thats rejected by political dogma.

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on December 03, 2022, 01:42:51 PM
I take it maths wasn't one of your strong subjects,what has population density got to do with providing excellent education?
At 25 per class that's 30 classes per mile in the U.K., less than 2 in Finland. The logistics are poles apart. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.