FT: Bojo to override WA

Started by Dynamis, September 07, 2020, 04:20:38 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

QuoteThis is quite extraordinary really from Labour. Basically confirming that if they were in power they'd give in to EU demands on state aid, level playing field and fish to get a deal. Same old Labour.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1305069284431978498
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Sir keir starmers response....

;D

QuoteLabour's policy on... well... everything, it seems:

Take a knee!

Thomas

QuoteBoris Johnson
@BorisJohnson
Let's make the EU take their threats off the table.

And let's get this Bill through, back up our negotiators, and protect our country

Thomas

QuoteWe excised the baleful presence of the Northern Ireland "backstop" – which effectively kept this country locked in the EU's legal orbit, forced to accept EU laws, unable to do free trade deals. We made sure that Northern Ireland was explicitly recognised as part of the customs territory of the United kingdom, and able to take part fully in new free trade agreements (such as the one Liz Truss has just done with Japan). And we also took steps to protect free movement at the all-important border between Northern Ireland and Ireland. We agreed that in some limited ways Northern Ireland would continue to conform with EU law for four years. We agreed that this limited alignment would end, unless the Northern Irish assembly voted to continue it. We agreed to do some light-touch checks on goods arriving in Northern Ireland, in case they should go on to Ireland, in order to avoid checks at the North-South border. And on the basis of that excellent deal we left the EU – and so it is deeply regrettable that what seemed so simple and clear to us is seen very differently by our EU friends.

We decided in the Withdrawal Agreement to create a Joint Committee, in which we would thrash out the details of these new arrangements. It is here that things risk coming unstuck. We are now hearing that unless we agree to the EU's terms, the EU will use an extreme interpretation of the Northern Ireland protocol to impose a full-scale trade border down the Irish sea. We are being told that the EU will not only impose tariffs on goods moving from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, but that they might actually stop the transport of food products from GB to NI.

I have to say that we never seriously believed that the EU would be willing to use a Treaty, negotiated in good faith, to blockade one part of the UK, to cut it off; or that they would actually threaten to destroy the economic and territorial integrity of the UK. This was for the very good reason that any such barrier, any such tariffs or division would be completely contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Good Friday agreement. By actively undermining the Union of our country, such an interpretation would seriously endanger peace and stability in Northern Ireland. This interpretation cannot have been the real intention of those who framed the protocol (it certainly wasn't ours) – and it is therefore vital that we close that option down.

We want an agreement in the Joint Committee, on how we can implement the protocol. We have consistently shown that we are willing to help our friends – to the extent that is possible and reasonable – to protect the integrity of their Single Market, and to keep a fluid North-South border. But we cannot leave the theoretical power to carve up our country – to divide it – in the hands of an international organisation. We have to protect the UK from that disaster, and that is why we have devised a legal safety net – in the UK internal market Bill – to clarify the position, and to sort out the inconsistencies. This Bill protects jobs and growth across the UK, by preventing barriers to trade between the nations and regions. It means that anything approved for sale in Scotland or Wales must be good for sale in England or Northern Ireland, and vice versa.

The Bill gives freedoms and certainties for businesses and citizens that were previously set out in EU law. That is why, as we now come out of the EU, this Bill is absolutely vital. It is now also clear that we need this Bill to protect the free flow of goods and services between NI and the rest of the UK, and to make sense of that commitment in the EU withdrawal agreement – that NI is part of the UK customs territory. It is therefore crucial for peace, and for the Union itself. We must get this Bill through. So I say to my fellow parliamentarians that we cannot go back to the dark days of last year – the squabbling that so undermined our negotiators. If we fail to pass this Bill, or if we weaken its protections, then we will in fact reduce the chances of getting that Canada-style deal. As it happens, I believe that this country will prosper mightily in either event. We could do very well indeed if we left on Australian terms

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/prime-ministers-article-in-the-telegraph-12-september-2020

Thomas

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

QuoteBoris Johnson says EU threatens unity of UK

Claim comes with tension high between London and the bloc.
"The difficulty has been that the EU has decided that unless we agree to their interpretation of what the checks would be, then the default position in the event of there being no agreement is that there should be nothing short of an economic barrier down the Irish Sea with tariffs," Johnson told U.K. lawmakers. "What we can't have is the threat of a border down the Irish Sea and the threat of the breakup of the United Kingdom.
"

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-brexit-threatens-united-kingdom/

The eu annexing northern ireland and gibraltar being forced into schengen as part of madrids shared responsibility for the rock.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on September 13, 2020, 06:32:52 PM

Boris and Cummings were given the keys to the door

Which is frankly bloody frightening.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

QuoteSpain pushes for Gibraltar to join Schengen area after Brexit transition ends

QuoteLONDON — The Spanish government is pushing for Gibraltar to join the passport-free Schengen zone after the Brexit transition period.

Madrid made its request at a series of meetings with representatives of the governments of Britain and Gibraltar held in the Spanish capital in recent months. The European Commission has been kept abreast of the discussions.

The British government, which handles the foreign affairs of the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, is expected to respond to the proposal in two to three weeks' time, according to EU officials.

The idea is part of Spain's strategy of "shared responsibility" with the U.K. over the Rock's affairs after Brexit. Madrid argues that 97 percent of people in Gibraltar voted Remain in 2016, and that means tailored solutions should be found to allow Gibraltar to continue to benefit from as many EU policies as possible, with freedom of movement being one of the priorities. The proposal has the backing of Gibraltar's Chief Minister Fabian Picardo

https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-gibraltar-schengen-brexit-transition/

Baff

Quote from: Good old on September 13, 2020, 05:20:46 PM
Quote from: Baff on September 13, 2020, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 13, 2020, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 13, 2020, 03:24:50 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 13, 2020, 03:18:33 PM

No all we have established  is you are perfectly comfortable trying to establish the idea that it is perfectly all right for Johnson, to break international law if it gives him something he wants..

yep we did establish that. I also showed how many uk prime ministers have done the same historically right up to the modern day.

Your reply was johnson isnt allowed to break international law , and that international law allows the eu to interfere in the northern irish constituent part of the euk sovereign territory.

When i ask why they wouldnt do that for catalonia , you run a mile and im told this is against internaitonal law.

So as ever you are all over the feckin place.

One minute the eu can interfere when its in your interests , the next it can't.

QuoteIt remains wrong to break the law

Johnson has the inalienable right to protect his countries sovereignty against an outside agressor like the eu , so he has every right to tear up the WA and keep northern ireland in the uk while ending all eu rules in a part of sovereign british territory.

:P

I waste my time. Most of that I have never said or intended. So as ever you are the one all over the place.
And as ever making  what I say up, on the hoof.  The EU an outside aggressor :)

You don't think trying to annex NI is aggressive?
I do.

If it were true. But what have we got . A rumoured whisper.  If this was an actual threat I would expect the negotiations over  no ifs no buts. So why play around in this way, if they can not be trusted now there is no deal. Unless they sign up to a rock solid deal for NI, agreed in every aspect and signed for by both sides. And Boris, and Cummings knew this from the moment they were given the keys to the door. On the basis of an oven ready deal, in hand.
I agree.

We have a rumoured threat being countered by a rumoured breach of international law.

Boris and Cummings were given the keys to the door because they were clearly willing to stand up to the EU.
When few others were.

And they are doing so.
And no amount of weasel words is going to change that.

We can see that they are on our side. Not selling us out at every turn.
And those who want to sell us out, don't like it.
They don't like it at all.

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on September 13, 2020, 04:33:08 PM

I mean there is a place in Enfield called world's end where they literally took people to be gaoled. And it looks like it.

Actually it was the site of an isolation hospital and quite a successful one. A lot more patients survived the Highlands Hospital than anywhere else. One of those was my mum who went in as a fey nine year old with scarlet fever. The only treatment for scarlet fever is isolation so to aleviate her boredom the nurses feed her and the other children. Constantly. According to the rest of the family she came out as fit as a butcher's dog and the size of a beer barrel.
Algerie Francais !

Good old

Quote from: Baff on September 13, 2020, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 13, 2020, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 13, 2020, 03:24:50 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 13, 2020, 03:18:33 PM

No all we have established  is you are perfectly comfortable trying to establish the idea that it is perfectly all right for Johnson, to break international law if it gives him something he wants..

yep we did establish that. I also showed how many uk prime ministers have done the same historically right up to the modern day.

Your reply was johnson isnt allowed to break international law , and that international law allows the eu to interfere in the northern irish constituent part of the euk sovereign territory.

When i ask why they wouldnt do that for catalonia , you run a mile and im told this is against internaitonal law.

So as ever you are all over the feckin place.

One minute the eu can interfere when its in your interests , the next it can't.

QuoteIt remains wrong to break the law

Johnson has the inalienable right to protect his countries sovereignty against an outside agressor like the eu , so he has every right to tear up the WA and keep northern ireland in the uk while ending all eu rules in a part of sovereign british territory.

:P

I waste my time. Most of that I have never said or intended. So as ever you are the one all over the place.
And as ever making  what I say up, on the hoof.  The EU an outside aggressor :)

You don't think trying to annex NI is aggressive?
I do.

If it were true. But what have we got . A rumoured whisper.  If this was an actual threat I would expect the negotiations over  no ifs no buts. So why play around in this way, if they can not be trusted now there is no deal. Unless they sign up to a rock solid deal for NI, agreed in every aspect and signed for by both sides. And Boris, and Cummings knew this from the moment they were given the keys to the door. On the basis of an oven ready deal, in hand.

Nick

Quote from: Thomas on September 13, 2020, 05:13:03 PMAre catalans worth less in your eyes as european citizens than the paddies in ulster?

They must be Tom. The EU just watched as Spain locked them up for their attempt at freedom.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2020, 05:09:59 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 12, 2020, 02:29:08 PMopinion

You don't get one. You abstained.

well said nick, i forgot all about that. All these high and mighty morals and ideals about "our horrible society" and dyno abstains when it counts?

He certainly isnt a james connolly eh? ;D

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on September 13, 2020, 05:05:20 PM

As they say , you can never smell your own, and you certainly can not.

who says that?

I certainly can smell my own. Are you trying to say if you were laying in a bed of your own shite  , you wouldnt notice? :D

QuoteSpain has no obligation to the EU concerning the status of Catalonia, within Spain.

The catalans are european citizens , just as you tell us the northern irish are euroepan citizens , yet you then tell us the uk is obligated under eu laws and treaties to treat the northern irish with a certain amount of exception while spain are not?

Are catalans worth less in your eyes as european citizens than the paddies in ulster?

The brave new world of the eu , were all are equal except some are more equal than others. ;)

QuoteYou condone the breaking of the GFA, caused by. The afore said.  If that's not shite , and can  not smell it you will never know what shite  is.

The uk parliament is sovereing , and it can break or rescind the GFA any time it likes , by your own words , all it has to do is pass a law as parliament is sovereign.

Is that not what you said to me the other day?

Parliament overides everything else as it is sovereign?

If boris gains the support of parliament  , and tears up the GFA or WA  by parliaments leave , who are we to question the wisdom of such a high and mighty institution.? :)